Opening up the Archipelago

Management of the simulation and out-of-character discussion
Scott Alexander

Opening up the Archipelago

Post by Scott Alexander »

So, crazy idea time. What if we allow anyone to claim on the Pelagia map?

Right now, Archipelago is many things. The map. The Senate. The joint simulation. The contests. And the forum.

If we start advertising ourselves as more of a cartography society, then we can get new nations like Oscland, which might otherwise claim on Micras, to claim on Archipelago instead. Then they can participate in the Senate, and in the in-sim activities and contests, and we can be a bit more active, which helps everyone.

Essentially, we'd be setting ourselves up in direct competition with the MCS (I would want a rule that you can't claim land on both maps; if you're not fully devoted to the Archipelago simulation I don't want you on here, and it would be miserable if Babkha or Shireroth tried to claim).

Benefits would be more nations involved, costs would be - well, having to deal with the sort of things that pass for micronations these days and might not be as dedicated to cultural development as we would like. But I think it would be worth a shot.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Rei Milharna

Re: Opening up the Archipelago

Post by Rei Milharna »

I'm 0k with that.

Harvey
Ghost of Christmas Past

Post by Harvey »

Scott and I talked about the idea briefly and I'm all for it. Possibly the coolest part of the idea is that we can run the whole thing with expansion credits, preventing the ambiguity of the MCS claims ("has this nation done anything in the past 6 months to warrant doubling in size? Eh whatever AYE") as well as encourage people to join in our contests and things here.

Aryeztur

Post by Aryeztur »

I'm ok with it.
The Great King, King of Kings, King of the World

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

I think if you have the rule against joint claims its fine.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave. But he does deserve a cool war ribbon.
However, this account still manages:
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn - Speaker of Nelaga, Minister of Interior Affairs, and a Micron

Kallinn Ynnetrrr

Post by Kallinn Ynnetrrr »

I'm a bit iffy on this, honestly. Do we really want another schism akin to the MCS/Geiss incident? If we were to open Archipelago up like that, yes, we'd want a rule saying no joint claims, but that seems like a silly thing to do with pretty substancial consequences if enough nations make the switch. And again, we're letting micronations into a project that was originally meant to deviate from the standard micronational model.

I'm not entirely opposed, I fully appreciate the potential advantages, but I think this could be a bad decision...

Demon of Fides

Post by Demon of Fides »

I think we would have trouble directly competing with the MCS, since smaller nations would have no room to expand. They are limited to a subforum on a subforum on Bastion, plus they only get one vote/etc per nation.
Hier post ich, ich kann nicht anders

Harvey
Ghost of Christmas Past

Post by Harvey »

It wouldn't be a requirement to be part of the Archipelago simulation to claim though. Nations could do whatever they do now, with their own forums and whatnot.

Scott Alexander

Explain what you mean by not having to be part of the Archipelago simulation to claim. I was at least hoping they would be part of our world and get involved in our conflicts and such.

Harvey
Ghost of Christmas Past

Post by Harvey »

Did I misinterpret the idea here? I mean with nations like Oscland - they're Oscland the micronation and unlikely to become Oscland the statelet of Archipelago. But they could still claim on our map and do our contests and all that. Is that not the idea?

Scott Alexander

Yeah, I think so.

Orion
Full of shi... err.. stars!

Post by Orion »

I have similar concerns as Corey. I mean, what's to stop anyone from Oscland from joining Archipelago now? Nothing really. If they wanted an alternate Oscland here they could have it. Just because we open ourselves up to claims from full-fledged micronations doesn't mean more people are going to join. If those people had wanted to join, I'm fairly certain they would have done it already.

Furthermore, there's a reason we kept the two separated to begin with. If I wanted to have greater interaction with the community as a whole I might as well have had Apollantis claim on the MCS the same as any other micronation. But it's not a viable proposition (save for being a one-man nation), and thus we have this project to sustain us. Now the small statelets are going to have to compete with the bigger nations, and that's going to put a lot of people off.

Personally I think we're fine as we are. It's simply that we've already gotten as many people into Archipelago as we're going to from this hobby. We need to branch out into other areas for recruitment: RPG forums, MMORPGs, etc, etc.

Kallinn Ynnetrrr

Post by Kallinn Ynnetrrr »

Ryan wrote:We need to branch out into other areas for recruitment: RPG forums, MMORPGs, etc, etc.
Which reminds me, I've been sitting on a gold mine of potential new recruits for a while now, but haven't tapped into it yet. I should get on that now...

Aryeztur

Post by Aryeztur »

If I end up becoming a Professor, I will make this an extra-credit assignment.
The Great King, King of Kings, King of the World

Return to “Control Room”