[Tapfer Conference] Break-Out Discussion on Govt Projects

An expansive union ruled by the House of Eadric.

Moderators: (Natopia) Emperor, (Natopia) Chancellor, (Natopia) MSU Princely Family

Christo Eucalyptos

Re: [Tapfer Conference] Break-Out Discussion on Govt Project

Post by Christo Eucalyptos »

Sure thing! Here is an updated map, and I've included routine ferry routes too. Green lines are tunnels (in the past it was assumed that those were bridges but now I think its more realistic that they would be tunnels)

http://i.imgur.com/Cizu61p.png
Christophos Eucalyptos
Retired Natopian Statesman,
Writer for the Bagelcratican Sporadically
Played by Nathan

Raz
The Mikado, as played on catgut strings

Post by Raz »

Christo Eucalyptos wrote:I echo Emperor Edgard's hopes that the Island Federation can be linked in to the West Coast Highway. If routing the main road through Dodningeknip is not possible due to the Federation's border control laws, then at least an auxiliary spur or bypass.
We would be pleased to see Tapfer 5 run past the city of Dødningeknip, through territory of the Island Federation provided this can be done in a way not to harm our swamps. We are thinking ourselves of a ten lane Heavenly Highway on the dunes which we would then paint green to match the swamps. Our strict border control laws however only apply to our islands, not to our peninsulas. We can't be bothered to place fences in the swamps!

Raz

Post by Raz »

Edgard II wrote:The Empire of the Alexandrians would not be opposed to the establishment of the ferry service between St. Jean Baptiste and Penguin Island. However, before this important step can be taken, I think the normalization of relations between Alexandria and the Island Federation is needed. Alexandria also wishes to work with the Island Federation to conserve the environment to ensure that the habitat of penguins in the area is not disrupted by pollutants and other factors.
Normalization? Do you mean a recognition treaty or is there some conflict going on between our nations that I didn't notice?

Edgard II

Post by Edgard II »

Rasmus wrote:
Christo Eucalyptos wrote:I echo Emperor Edgard's hopes that the Island Federation can be linked in to the West Coast Highway. If routing the main road through Dodningeknip is not possible due to the Federation's border control laws, then at least an auxiliary spur or bypass.
We would be pleased to see Tapfer 5 run past the city of Dødningeknip, through territory of the Island Federation provided this can be done in a way not to harm our swamps. We are thinking ourselves of a ten lane Heavenly Highway on the dunes which we would then paint green to match the swamps. Our strict border control laws however only apply to our islands, not to our peninsulas. We can't be bothered to place fences in the swamps!
This sounds pretty good to us, this is definitely workable.
Rasmus wrote:
Edgard II wrote:The Empire of the Alexandrians would not be opposed to the establishment of the ferry service between St. Jean Baptiste and Penguin Island. However, before this important step can be taken, I think the normalization of relations between Alexandria and the Island Federation is needed. Alexandria also wishes to work with the Island Federation to conserve the environment to ensure that the habitat of penguins in the area is not disrupted by pollutants and other factors.
Normalization? Do you mean a recognition treaty or is there some conflict going on between our nations that I didn't notice?
By "normalization", I mean strictly the act of making diplomatic relations between the Island Federation and the Empire of the Alexandrians a normal thing. Nothing more, nothing less. Although I'd definitely like to go for a pleasant experience, and not the eye gouging, soul cringing, incredibly frustrating experiences of the past. :wink:

Raz

Post by Raz »

I'm sorry, all this fruit juice must have gone to my head, we shouldn't paint the dunes green and a ten lane highway might be too much. Six lanes would probably be enough for the time being.

Regarding Gong-Alexandrian relations, I agree that they should be cordial. The Island Federation of Gong and Jingdao does not see itself as the heir to the Holy Empire of Jingdao's foreign policies and we are well aware that the Empire of the Alexandrians is the only neighbor we share a land border with. Since its inception our federation has worked towards peace between the nations, brokering a treaty between Shireroth and the Apollonian Republic and keeping the peace in Green Valley when Wayne and Elwynn were on the brink of war.

Orion
Full of shi... err.. stars!

Post by Orion »

Thanks for adding the road.

Regarding the tunnels connecting Ptia, given the ancient history of the island wouldn't it make more sense that bridges were built first? I'd imagine some iconic bridges connecting to Ptia, like the Golden Gate or something. Tunnels seem more fitting in modern areas (or added in to metro areas).

Ptia:

Lord Erion

Post by Lord Erion »

Given Ptia's relatively small size, would there really be sufficient space for either tunnel or bridge ramps? I'd mostly thought that it would just be connected by a local ferry to Port Trias.
His Imperial Highness Erion of Waffel-Paine,
Prince of Natopia, Prince of Arboria, Duke of New Aquitane, and of the Punkrock Isles, Count of Nerklaa, Count of Augustus, Lord am Baat, Baron Mirkdale, Representative in Frenzy for Arboria, Knight of the Order of the Black Hole, Awardee of the Regent's Medal, MNN.

Christo Eucalyptos

In the past we've 'assumed' bridges connected the islands, but with one pixel being 12km those bridges get very long. I don't mind maintaining that there's bridges there, it is effectively Natopia's front door so it would make sense that we would invest the R&D into making something really impressive.

Erion's right, access to Ptia is restricted to scholars and academics from Port Trias as a result of its time as a research preserve co-ruled with Nelaga. Perhaps there's one long bridge from Trias to Ferien City with only supports/pylons on Ptia so there's no exits and minimal footprint.
Christophos Eucalyptos
Played by Nathan

Raz

Post by Raz »

Wouldn't traffic noise annoy the scholars?

Christo Eucalyptos

Maybe its a sound-proof solar-cell-covered highway?
Christophos Eucalyptos
Played by Nathan

Lord Erion

Post by Lord Erion »

As a thought, would the NDF appreciate such edifices imposing themselves upon two of its most strategic naval bases?
Prince of Natopia, Prince of Arboria, Duke of New Aquitane, and of the Punkrock Isles, Count of Nerklaa, Count of Augustus, Lord am Baat, Baron Mirkdale, Representative in Frenzy for Arboria, Knight of the Order of the Black Hole, Awardee of the Regent's Medal, MNN.

Christo Eucalyptos

Bridge from Trias to Ptia, covered/elevated/restricted road on Ptia, another bridge to Ferien city. A tunnel from Ft Ferien to Ft Silver?
Christophos Eucalyptos
Played by Nathan

Lord Erion

Post by Lord Erion »

I'm glad that this is a retrospective item of infrastructure and not one that would take years to decide about and construct with its final cost several times that of the original proposal. ;)

Christo Eucalyptos

The Retcon: Bane of Hardcore Fans, Savior to Lazy Creators :Court:
Christophos Eucalyptos
Played by Nathan

Lord Erion

Post by Lord Erion »

If it's a Saviour, it clearly needs a Temple.
:Jadie:

Return to “Most Serene Union of Dos Gardenias”