Election

Where Members of Parliament can informally discuss national and local issues.
Richard Amherst

Election

Post by Richard Amherst »

I believe we are a little late in getting to it, but it is time for elections.
Hon. Richard Amherst
Member of the Brettish Parliament

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Re: Election

Post by Verion »

Does anyone feel called to come forward as a candidate?
1.Titus Morvayne, Prefect of Shirekeep, Count of the Skyla Islands
2.Eki Aholibamah Verion, Queen in the North
3. Ludovic Verion, Lord of Blackstone and Governor-General of the Iron Company
4. Jeremy Harwinsson Archer, super sleuth

Richard Amherst

I would highly encourage candidates to step forward. I would be willing to serve another term if no one else wishes to put forward their name; however, I believe the Brettish Isles would benefit from a fresh perspective and a new administration.
Hon. Richard Amherst

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Post by Verion »

I will do it on the condition that I am allowed to make some serious decisions, of course I'll discuss it with you, but I don't want an endless stalemate like we have seen in the past year. When I'm Lord Protector, I will push for charter reform, and territorial reform. I would like you, Richard, to focus on your plans for honours and peerage.

If it is accepted that I will make some decisions myself, without lengthly debate, then I put my name forward.

Arthur Rivers

Post by Arthur Rivers »

Just because you offer to take on the role of Lord Protector doesn't grant you any privileges to circumvent due process. If I were to nominate myself as candidate, which I yet may, I do not expect any favours or special rights by virtue of doing so.

The "stalemate" of the past year is as much the fault of the times as it is any particular person. In a year that has seen the decline and departure of many people and nations, Brettania perseveres! We have made steady advances and strengthened our claim as heirs to New Brittania and Nova England. That is hardly a stalemate.
Arthur Rivers, His Lordship
of House Wellington, Lord of Willowshire
Known in other circles as Orion

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Post by Verion »

It was obvious that I meant our legislative stalemate, which is absolutely a thing. I also have become a bit pessimistic about what a micronation can be. The charter currently under discussion for instance, is a nice and elaborate work. Too elaborate, I fear. The essence of this time demands that we have to be able to have a working micronation with only 2 or 3 people active. So, although a Speaker, Chancelor and different ministers sound like a great idea, and like something necessary in a British-ish nation, it is almost too much for what in fact is a 3 person nation.

The other thing is the expansion. I'm all for claiming territory and expanding, but there doesn't seem to be any logic in it. Our current Lord Protector has new development plans every time and we have annexed several nations because of very thin plans. I think we should cut back a little on that and have a good empire building strategy.

I understand that what I just said sounded a bit dictatorial, I don't mean it in that way. I want to work together with all active citizens, but we shouldn't be refrained by the current parliamentary procedures when we try to get some basics right. I mean, we don't even have a speaker at the moment...

I'd welcome your candidacy, Lord Rivers. It doesn't matter to me who is Lord Protector, as long as we can sort things out fairly quickly and make real decisions on all important points in the next two months or so.

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Post by Verion »

Note that this isn't an attack on any person, it's just a conclusion, I blame myself as much as anyone else. I want to work together with the both of you to get this nation back on track.

Arthur Rivers

Post by Arthur Rivers »

Given Rasmus' claims over the project I was working on with Jaris, I have decided to simply scrap it rather than try and modify the story to fit in with entirely new parameters. So that is no longer on the docket. And rather than lose the posts I created a National Archives forum for us to use.
It was obvious that I meant our legislative stalemate, which is absolutely a thing. I also have become a bit pessimistic about what a micronation can be. The charter currently under discussion for instance, is a nice and elaborate work. Too elaborate, I fear. The essence of this time demands that we have to be able to have a working micronation with only 2 or 3 people active. So, although a Speaker, Chancelor and different ministers sound like a great idea, and like something necessary in a British-ish nation, it is almost too much for what in fact is a 3 person nation.
I agree, which is why I've taken on the role of Speaker and am also essentially acting as Foreign Minister. Although the role of Diplomacy could be relegated to the Lord Protector, I don't really mind doing it. What might be a better approach to government is to follow the Apollonian model - that being to have an elaborate system in writing but in actual practice it will rely on us three.
The other thing is the expansion. I'm all for claiming territory and expanding, but there doesn't seem to be any logic in it. Our current Lord Protector has new development plans every time and we have annexed several nations because of very thin plans. I think we should cut back a little on that and have a good empire building strategy.
I agree with this sentiment. My expansion strategy has been to make small claims closer to the Home Isles and establish a network that makes logical sense of our claims. With Batavia's death now imminent, I feel we should be consolidating our claims (like eliminating Wayne) and establishing a stronger hold on territories immediately adjacent to the Home Isles. Faya Veronique and Franzi-Ferdinanda are two Batavian colonies with a very strong history of association with New Brittania and Nova England. They are also extremely close to the Home Isles. Thus I think it logical that we press a claim on these and focus on developing them. Richard could take part of these for developing his own Irish or American project (or even both). For myself I would assist with developing these and the existing states, and as far as expansion I would like another resupply station between Port Moorland and Port Impregnable, but that's it.

I think our lack of a strategic plan, or even lack of set strategic goals, is a limiting factor. If we set ourselves some goals and objectives it may offer something to commonly strive towards.

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Post by Verion »

So, given that you have a lot on your plate already, do you still want to be LP? I will have the Shirerithian Kaisership soon, so that would limit me in my time as well. Perhaps it would be better even if Richard just stayed on as LP, but that we would decide everything together. That being said, I'm still available if nobody else wants to be LP.

Good to see you agree with me on most points, I'm sure we'll find a way to make our political simulation work more effectively. Of course we need to keep some sort of a parliament. By the way, I think the reason AC works effectively is because it's set up as a dictatorship, the seanad is just there for show.

Regarding Batavia, I was indeed planning to claim some isles, I said the Hempton bay isles, but your proposals might work as well, I don't particularly care which isles we will get. I am active in Batavia as well, since I am a long time citizen there, and I'm joining some others in creating an ending story. I was planning to let Brettania play a small role in there as well. (basically it's a republican uprising, fights with AC soldiers, a flight to the isles we will then claim - that's where Brettish support comes in)

I was under the impression that Richard wanted his Irish project to be an independent nation, which subsequently wouldn't really be of any interest to us. A ressuply station could be somewhere on lower Keltia, and that could then immediately be the tropical/exotic/south african/indian/whatever part of our empire we were talking about.

Arthur Rivers

Post by Arthur Rivers »

Considering you'll be taking on the Kaisership, it might be better if either myself or Richard take on the Lord Protectorship. I only have the Reindeer Herders as a side project, and that moves at its own pace.

The AC is efficient in its functionality, but I do feel a bit excluded from governance because of the dictatorial aspect. I think in our case here we need a medium between the two.

I didn't realize you were still participating in Batavia. The two regions I pointed out make the most sense to me insofar as offering a legitimate and strategic claim. I also think they would be justifiable to the MCS. We can go about making the claim in any way - as you already have something in mind - so long as we can gain those islands I'm all for it.

I thought Richard wanted an autonomous state attached to Brettania, but I'll let him speak for himself in that regard. And indeed, I had the same idea in mind for the other resupply station being thematically modeled on one (or all) of Britain's tropical colonies. The plan was to establish Brettish Chi'Nam on the ruins of Dayanovgrad (between Pontus and Interland).

Richard Amherst

This is a good conversation, and I'm glad we have many of these issues on the table.

I've also been wondering whether or not it is advisable to move away from a parliamentary regime, at least unless/until we get enough people to make it work properly. It seems we're all hesitant to give anyone near-dictatorial powers. Probably what we should do is just formalize rule by Council of State, with each of us taking up an office that applies to a specific area of development and run with it. for example, we have a Foreign Secretary (for diplomacy and war), a Home Secretary (for justice and internal development), and Chancellor of the Exchequer (for all things trade and economics), with the post of Lord President of the Council rotating between us as a sort of ceremonial head of state and de facto Speaker. We can just discuss things between the three of us, put it into a single proposal, and vote on it up or down. If we get more people, then we could change it to a normal parliamentary democracy. I figure that was what the historical English Commonwealth wanted before Cromwell decided he was God's instrument on Earth.

I also tend to favor claiming larger chunks of Batavian territory (if Batavia is indeed on its way out). It makes more geographic sense, and more logical sense. As well, concerning America/Irish plans, I am barely able to hold up the Brettish Isles, much less create a new nation. I'd rather just, as we've all discussed before, focus on developing the core cultures of Britain, and eventually expand; those cultures being what I call English, Celtic, and Gaelic. My Ireland could just be an Irish colony, or however things shake out. And then we could do things like India, Africa, and Asia.
Hon. Richard Amherst

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Post by Verion »

Yes, the
Arthur Rivers wrote:Considering you'll be taking on the Kaisership, it might be better if either myself or Richard take on the Lord Protectorship. I only have the Reindeer Herders as a side project, and that moves at its own pace.
I'm okay with that, it doesn't really matter anyway. Since Richard called for a new LP, I'd support you as the next one.
The AC is efficient in its functionality, but I do feel a bit excluded from governance because of the dictatorial aspect. I think in our case here we need a medium between the two.
Same here, I think we clearly established that we don't want a dictatorship. I was thinking more along the lines of an LP and the ministers being able do decide a lot themselves in the cabinet, what would happen in real life as well. The vote in parliament then would only occur after the government has made a decision. It's a bit against the trias politica, but it's what de fact happens in every democracy. So in this case, government would be decisive (you as LP, let's say Richard as Chancelor and me as minister of state (basically a contraction of the ministerships, since we don't have anyone else left.) I would also wish for the LP to function as speaker. That would eliminate one office that we can't really seem to fill all the time. And since you will soon be both, it's the easiest way of doing this.
I didn't realize you were still participating in Batavia. The two regions I pointed out make the most sense to me insofar as offering a legitimate and strategic claim. I also think they would be justifiable to the MCS. We can go about making the claim in any way - as you already have something in mind - so long as we can gain those islands I'm all for it.
Yep, the claim will be made later though, all participants in the Batavian project will provide a final solution for Batavia when this storyline is over.
I thought Richard wanted an autonomous state attached to Brettania, but I'll let him speak for himself in that regard. And indeed, I had the same idea in mind for the other resupply station being thematically modeled on one (or all) of Britain's tropical colonies. The plan was to establish Brettish Chi'Nam on the ruins of Dayanovgrad (between Pontus and Interland).
That's good! I'm not too happy about autonomous states, we have Calbion now, but that's because of historical reasons. I think we should have either colonies or provinces, not create autonomous states in our nation.

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Post by Verion »

Richard Amherst wrote:lso been wondering whether or not it is advisable to move away from a parliamentary regime, at least unless/until we get enough people to make it work properly. It seems we're all hesitant to give anyone near-dictatorial powers. Probably what we should do is just formalize rule by Council of State, with each of us taking up an office that applies to a specific area of development and run with it. for example, we have a Foreign Secretary (for diplomacy and war), a Home Secretary (for justice and internal development), and Chancellor of the Exchequer (for all things trade and economics), with the post of Lord President of the Council rotating between us as a sort of ceremonial head of state and de facto Speaker. We can just discuss things between the three of us, put it into a single proposal, and vote on it up or down. If we get more people, then we could change it to a normal parliamentary democracy. I figure that was what the historical English Commonwealth wanted before Cromwell decided he was God's instrument on Earth.
I think my proposal covers much of this. Basically the LP, the Chancelor and the ministers. Since we have only 3 people at the moment, one minister. Foreign affairs could be an LP duty anyway. But my proposal would leave the parliamentary structure, and I think that this would fit our nation better than actually make it an aristocracy de jure as well.
I also tend to favor claiming larger chunks of Batavian territory (if Batavia is indeed on its way out). It makes more geographic sense, and more logical sense.
How large? The islands would suffice, I assume? We don't have the activity to claim enormous parts of Batavia.
As well, concerning America/Irish plans, I am barely able to hold up the Brettish Isles, much less create a new nation. I'd rather just, as we've all discussed before, focus on developing the core cultures of Britain, and eventually expand; those cultures being what I call English, Celtic, and Gaelic. My Ireland could just be an Irish colony, or however things shake out. And then we could do things like India, Africa, and Asia.
The exotic part of the empire would be covered for in the new supply station-land. Couldn't you work with the celtic/gaelic thing within the existing parameters of Calbion?

Arthur Rivers

Post by Arthur Rivers »

Faya Veronique is a huge island unto itself, which I think would be a good place for developing Richard's ideas. But I'd also like to see development in some of the neglected areas. Calbion already has a Gaelic cultural base, so if Richard wants to develop an Irish state that would be perfectly suited. You could even split Calbion into Scottish and Irish halves.

I can take on the role of both LP and Speaker in a reduced government. There shouldn't be any conflicts of interest as a result of those roles.

Richard Amherst

I think my proposal covers much of this. Basically the LP, the Chancelor and the ministers. Since we have only 3 people at the moment, one minister. Foreign affairs could be an LP duty anyway. But my proposal would leave the parliamentary structure, and I think that this would fit our nation better than actually make it an aristocracy de jure as well.
Sure. I propose it, though, because it makes things a bit more equal between all of us, and it could be construed as more democratic, even more historical. In theory, all three of us are elected by Parliament to constitute the government (as happened in the First Interregnum), we each have an equal portfolio, and we institute some randomness to eliminate constant elections. I mean, I have no problem if we just fit this into the current system, as I intended to make the Council of State include the LP, LC, and Speaker (or something like Secretary of State in this scenario); but, I just bring it up as it goes to Arthur's idea of cabinet governance and contracting departments, with a twist.
How large? The islands would suffice, I assume? We don't have the activity to claim enormous parts of Batavia.
Well, perhaps I am confused about what you all are talking about. Do we wish to abandon past plans, such as specific claims and the island station plan, or focus on one region to claim things on, like Batavia? Again, matters little to me, but I've seen a lot of ideas floating around.
The exotic part of the empire would be covered for in the new supply station-land. Couldn't you work with the celtic/gaelic thing within the existing parameters of Calbion?
Yeah, I'd have no problem with that. Granted, it may end up more Gaelic than pan-Celtic, if that is okay with everyone, but the location of the colony is neither here nor there.
Hon. Richard Amherst

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Post by Verion »

Would you be interested in the position of Lord Chancelor, Richard? I believe our last LC was Reginald, who left. I could then be something like 'minister of State'.

The reason I don't like the position of Speaker to be included in government is that it is a. not historically sound and b. a speaker barely does anything, it's only really a position of importance in a large and active parliament.

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Post by Verion »

Arthur Rivers wrote:Faya Veronique is a huge island unto itself, which I think would be a good place for developing Richard's ideas. But I'd also like to see development in some of the neglected areas. Calbion already has a Gaelic cultural base, so if Richard wants to develop an Irish state that would be perfectly suited. You could even split Calbion into Scottish and Irish halves.
Calbion is of course developed, although not recently. I see no problem with Irish culture being implemented there, as long as some basic stuff (name, flag) are kept.

Richard Amherst

Would you be interested in the position of Lord Chancelor, Richard? I believe our last LC was Reginald, who left. I could then be something like 'minister of State'.
Yeah, I'd have no problem becoming Lord Chancellor. I suppose it would be a good place to be for things like constitutional reform, justice, courts, and even police.
The reason I don't like the position of Speaker to be included in government is that it is a. not historically sound and b. a speaker barely does anything, it's only really a position of importance in a large and active parliament.
Well, that was under a model that assumed Parliament would be active. In this case, Parliament is a rubber stamp until things get more active.
Calbion is of course developed, although not recently. I see no problem with Irish culture being implemented there, as long as some basic stuff (name, flag) are kept.
Well, I do like Arthur's idea of maybe claiming the rest of the island, and having the southern portion remain as a "Celtic" Calbion, while the northern half could be a "Gaelic" Calbion. But either way, the point is well-taken.
Hon. Richard Amherst

Arthur Rivers

Post by Arthur Rivers »

This is what I would suggest as the optimal claim distribution.

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Post by Verion »

I don't think we can claim all the Batavian Isles. Stormark will want some of them as well. The rest is alright.

Return to “Member's Lobby”