On the Nature of Commonwealth Society

Where Members of Parliament can informally discuss national and local issues.
Richard Amherst

On the Nature of Commonwealth Society

Post by Richard Amherst »

Perhaps to start a tradition, I am introducing this topic here, so that we may not clutter the Floor with ideas, comments, and proposals which may not be suitable for bills until a certain amount of discussion and form.

This is not a new topic, but I believe it is just as pertinent as before. I have noticed that we continued to be split, in terms of our society, between a more regal society and a more bourgeois society. This includes the titles of government ministers (His Highness, Lord so and so, etc) as well as modes of speaking and such. I believe, in this period of reformation, that we should begin to settle upon a more definite path.

Personally, I am of the opinion that we should tend to a more bourgeois state of affairs, that is, a degree of formality, but not to the extent of a rigid system of titles and nobility. Instead of lordships and nobility, I would propose medals and, at most, a common order of knighthood for the Commonwealth, as knights have been the pinnacle of the gentry, not part of the nobility; this would also likely extend to amending the constitution in certain ways. I would suggest more of an emphasis on commerce and labour, rather than status. And I would put forward that we represent the idea that this Commonwealth is less about the rigidity of class, and more the entrepreneurial spirit.
Hon. Richard Amherst
Member of the Brettish Parliament

Return to “Member's Lobby”