Private or open voting

Where parliamentary bills are formally proposed, debated and voted upon after a division.
Vilhelm Benkern

Private or open voting

Post by Vilhelm Benkern » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:39 am

Most excellent members of this august assembly, I come before you with a question of some importance for our democracy. So far our parliament has operated its voting procedure quite openly, with every vote made in full view of every other member and indeed the world. To some extent this is important to the maintenance of democracy by providing transparency, but I also feel that private voting - especially when it comes to elections - may be a more appropriate way to conduct a vote. It gives everyone the right to debate openly, but then vote according to their conscience in a way that prevents intimidation or the possiblity of 'bad blood' between members of the house. With the technology available (phpBB3 member groups' rights etc.) it is possible to securely arrange this so that even the Speaker need not know exactly who has voted, but merely how many and in which direction. I yield the floor.
Vilhelm Benkern DEOMI, Member of the Order of the Dragon, Silver Swan, Red Dragon
Dirigent of Musica, Count of Mar Sara
In Aryasht Prapta Vrteti, former Prince of Aryasht; Zaila Vrteti, Norfolknath
In Elwynn Benjamin Sebasokrator Timothy Quentin Kern, Duke of Raikoth
In Khalypsil Representative of the Wisdom

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Re: Private or open voting

Post by Verion » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:44 am

I think you made a good point and I wholeheartly agree with this. I would personally not mind however if the speaker of the house would know about the voting score, but if there is some easy technical solution to create full discretion, it would perhaps be even better.
1.Titus Morvayne, Prefect of Shirekeep, Count of the Skyla Islands
2.Eki Aholibamah Verion, Queen in the North
3. Ludovic Verion, Lord of Blackstone and Governor-General of the Iron Company
4. Jeremy Harwinsson Archer, super sleuth

Alfred Harmsworth

Post by Alfred Harmsworth » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:40 pm

Gentlemen,

I would support immediate implementation of this proposal for elections, but I think we should consider a bit further before implementing it for all votes. Particularly if we want to cultivate political parties at some point, there may be a need for accountability and transparency in parliamentary voting. That said, I am not intractably opposed to the idea.
Alfred J. Harmsworth MP

Vilhelm Benkern

Post by Vilhelm Benkern » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:01 am

Milord Speaker, I present this idea as a suggestion and not as a definite or full proposal. We need to consider some of the finer points. According to the constitution, there are five types of vote which can normally take place in this House: votes on Bills; votes on resolutions; votes to Impeach; elections; and amendments to the constitution. I would categorise resolutions and bills as 'ordinary' votes of the House while amendments to the constitution and amendments as 'extraordinary' votes, with elections being a separate kind of vote. I think Extraordinary votes and elections could be safely anonymised because these are matters of conscience (and Jove Above knows and judges everyone's actions, MP or Lord, commoner or King), while bills and resolutions could be public and subject to party scrutiny.
Vilhelm Benkern DEOMI, Member of the Order of the Dragon, Silver Swan, Red Dragon

Richard Amherst

Post by Richard Amherst » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:59 pm

Members of the House,

I believe the Honourable Members has put forward some admirable suggestions. I agree with his ideas of splitting votes into the categories of ordinary and extraordinary, with the latter completed by secret ballot, and the former completed with voice vote. As we are the representatives of the Brettish people, we must ensure that our decisions concerning legislation and major issues be known to all, as they are the source of our legitimacy, and they will have the ultimate say concerning our return to office. I agree that it would not be beneficial to have extraordinary votes, such as elections or impeachments, where a vote based on principle could be construed as a voe based on personality.
Hon. Richard Amherst
Member of the Brettish Parliament

Vilhelm Benkern

Post by Vilhelm Benkern » Fri May 23, 2014 2:41 pm

Mr. Speaker, in order to revive this discussion and to encourage further thought, I present a draft resolution.
A Resolution of the House on Voting Procedures

1. Ordinary votes (consisting of votes on resolutions and bills before the House) shall be voted on in public view by means of voice vote.
2. Extraordinary votes (consisting of votes to impeach and to amend the Constitution) and elections shall be voted on in secrecy.

Return to “The Floor”