A Coronation to be poorly remembered!

The court of the Novatainian king. Make petitions here.

Moderator: (Gralus) King of Novatainia

Demon of Fides

A Coronation to be poorly remembered!

Post by Demon of Fides »

Trumpets sounded and the hall hushed itself in the way that large crowds do when they know they are about to be required to do something. Their common instincts, honed over hundreds of years of doing the same thing or, in the case of democrats, peer pressure, proved correct; King Lachlan I of Novatainia entered the hall. A Mexican wave of bowing guests made some of the onlookers in the baloneys seasick, but the majesty of the moment remained. The Ex-King, then Ex-Lord Protector, then Crown-Prince sat, with the kind of regal grace that could only be interupted by a whoopee cushion. Thankfully the offending article was removed by an NISB agent some moments prior, and there was silence.

The crowd waited. Crowds are not naturally good at waiting, particularly when the students in the crowd knew that something very funny had just failed to happen. Some of the weaker-willed members of the crowd found a drink with ninja-stealth, much to the annoyance of the Pirate representatives from the Kendrall Isles. As the fighting broke out near the western door, Lachlan withdrew a small flask of something very alcoholic. The bishop nudged him, to which he muttered "I am the head of the church, you know" and the bishop got back to waiting.

They waited.

And waited.

And waited.

The wounded from the Pirate V Mistaken-for-Ninja scuffle had been cleared away and everyone was eating and drinking again. The talk had risen to the kind of level where everyone is shouting to be heard, then silence. The doors opened and in came Herr Szhmuel Astopov, MoFA of Ashkenatza, lowered his glass and shuffled through the throng of diplomats and dignitaries to get a look at the august personage making his way to the podium, followed quickly by Manuel, famous businessman and now the owner of VBNC (For all you'll ever need) strolled in in his traditional butler outfit; several bodyguards in suits followed him at a discreet distance. VBNC were well known at the palace, and got away with things other companies would not.

After him, Mel'Kat the Air Pirate, and now Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy, entered, flourishing his hat and winking at several of the young ladies present. He had certainly relaxed a lot over the last few years.

His Sovereign Majesty, Konrad Bovic Emperor of Natopia and a small party of Natopians stride into the hall wearing traditional court dress.

Many in the audience began to whisper to each other "The Natopians are here"

Konrad was overhead asking an attendant "Where are the free bagels, im hungry?"

"Over here, your majesty," Graham Lot said, showing him to the table specially prepared for the Natopians. "We also have, over here, some of the local delicacies," he said, pointing to the bar, which was currently serving a Dalur River Red; a Hunter's Valley White, and some Chelkran Firewhiskey. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm needed for the coronation ceremony."

Mr Lot hurried over to where the Cardinal of the Church of St Nova was standing. He had only recently been placed in that position, after the last Cardinal, Andreas the Wise, had resigned all his positions and left on a long journey. "Everything ready?" he asked.
The Cardinal nodded. "Well, we'll just wait for a couple more guests to arrive.

The Emperor of Gralus walked in. There was no way he would be missing this. He spent some time chatting to the foreign dignitaries, some of which he knew, and some he didn't.

Fides walked in, thanks to some very interesting backstory, in each others arms. They bowed and retreated to the side to oversee the Imperial Guard event security.

Kaiser Leto III surprised everyone by his fast and unannounced arrival at the church. He waved to some of his colleagues, after which he entered the building.

Maximilian, the Prime Minister of Batavia as well as the Nederlanden, arrived at the church. He waved at the Emperor of Gralus, Kaiser Leto III of Shireroth, the Emperor of Natopia and the Ashkenatzan representative and took his place, happy to see all these familiar faces.

As more and more guests began to filter in, Mr Lot gave the nod, and a trumpet sounded, announcing the ceremony had commenced.

"We are gathered here today," the Cardinal intoned, "to witness the union of one Lachlan the Good and the nation of Novatainia. Lachlan the Good has proven himself more than capable of governance, and with King Andreas' abdication, has graciously agreed to become our Noble King again," he said.
Cheers from the crowd, with the occasional boo.
"I have heard that some people are viewing this coronation very suspiciously, but it is quite constitutional, and I'm sure our great bureaucrat Graham Lot will explain further, if any are interested. I also wish now to extend an invitation to all the foreign dignitaries for taking time out from their busy ruling (and in some cases annexing) of nations. Novatainia is delighted that you could attend.
Would you now all please stand and sing the Novatainian Royal Anthem."

God save our gracious King,
Long live our noble King,
God save the King:
Send him victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us:
God save the King

O Lord, our God, arise,
Scatter his enemies,
And make them fall.
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix,
God save us all.

Thy choicest gifts in store,
On him be pleased to pour;
Long may he reign:
May he defend our laws,
And ever give us cause
To sing with heart and voice
God save the King.

The Cardinal smiled, hearing some Jokerdom citizens singing loudly and offkey "God Save our Broccoli", as had become traditional.

"And now simply have to wait for the crown to be brought in," said the Cardinal.

With great pomp and ceremony Mr Lot ascended, bringing it in on a large purple cushion. Behind him walked Fides, holding a silver tureen with a piece of broccoli in it, but most of the guests were unsure where that came into the ceremony. Mr Lot placed the cushion at the foot of the dais to the throne, bowed, and went back to his seat in the front row. Fides placed the silver tureen beside it, winked boldly, and went back to his seat also. The Cardinal stood next to Andreas. "Kneel, sir," he said. Lachlan did so.
"Do you swear allegiance to Novatainia and her people?" he began.
"I do," Lachlan answered.
"Do you swear to uphold the noble customs of our land?" the Cardinal continued.
"Do you swear to forever remember the slogan upon which our nation was founded, 'Novatainia: The Revolution Starts Here,' and never to explain its meaning to anyone, no matter how much they ask."
"Do you swear to remember the history upon which our land was founded, to honour the people who dwelt here before us, to protect us in times of trouble, and to forever try to live up to the legend of St Nova?"

"Since you've been saying 'I do' so much, unless any Primary Novatainian citizens have any well thought-out arguments against Lachlan becoming King..."

"That's long enough. I now pronounce you King and Country. You may wear the crown. I present to you, Novatainia, your new King, Lachlan the Good! May he live long and ever destroy things in the Destruction Zone!"
Cheers resounded. Novatainia had received its third King. The wildest party Micras had ever seen was about to begin.

The crowd parted as the kegs rolled in. Every liquor known to man (and some found in the palace archives, unopened for centuries) was available for what survivors called the 'worlds biggest booze-up'...
Hier post ich, ich kann nicht anders

Return to “The King's Court”