Scribe of Raynor's Keep IP viewing

Here's the forum for the forum. Well, more it's the forum to house the subforums related to the forum, where the admins play whack-a-mole. If you have forum problems, fill in form 4271-K, and file it in the appropriate subforum. Or forum, as the case may be.
Ryker
The Third Ryke

Scribe of Raynor's Keep IP viewing

Post by Ryker »

Currently, the Scribe of Raynor's Keep has the power to view the IP from which comments are posted. He has used this power on at least three occasions to investigate accounts of mine for (as far as I can tell) no reason. He then proceeded to divulge the three accounts being connected to one IP on Discord for (as far as I can tell) no reason. My permission was neither requested nor given to divulge this information. This demonstrates gross misuse of power and for me was a deep violation of my personal privacy. I implore the Admigods to consider removing the ability to view post IPs from the current Scribe's arsenal as he has clearly demonstrated that he is more than willing to misuse it to simply treat what appears to be a deathly case of the Nosy-Nellies.
Ryker00X
Ryker of the Sovereign Confederation
Head of House Redquill

Jonas
Lord of the Fries

Re: Scribe of Raynor's Keep IP viewing

Post by Jonas »

Is removing that power even a possibility?
Important characters:
Frederik Alfons des Vinandy-Paravel, King of Batavia
Joseph Bartholomeus des Vinandy-Windsor, Prince-Regent of Batavia
Jin San, Diwang of Jingdao, Duke of Kildare

Orion
Full of shi... err.. stars!

Post by Orion »

I don't see either a user or a group with that name.

Raz
The Mikado, as played on catgut strings

Post by Raz »

Harald had a reason to investigate. You were trying to abuse people's trust in what people claim to be on an anonymous forum.

Raz

Post by Raz »

I have given Harald the rank "Esteemed Forum Detective" instead.

Mira Octavius-Aryani

Post by Mira Octavius-Aryani »

Ryker is not the first person to choose a new name in order to start fresh and anonymously. There is no reason to believe it was to harm anyone.

Count Palatine of Kezan
Khanum of Cabbagefall

Raz

Post by Raz »

So many opinions and feelings. :herman:

Xavier Blank

Post by Xavier Blank »

Orion wrote:I don't see either a user or a group with that name.
oops.

http://bastionunion.org/forum/memberlis ... roup&g=209

Orion
Full of shi... err.. stars!

Post by Orion »

Rasmus wrote:Harald had a reason to investigate. You were trying to abuse people's trust in what people claim to be on an anonymous forum.
I disagree. Ryker chose to keep his old identity private. That's his choice and it does not violate any of the terms or conditions of either the forum or Shireroth. Harald, on the other hand, chose to invade Ryker's privacy and then publicly out him. Not only is this a violation of privacy and privileges, it is out of order. Harald could have chosen to PM Ryker instead, seeking a private audience to discuss the matter; as proper decorum would demand. If Harald had been rebuffed via private channels then and ONLY THEN would it have been proper to make a public statement.

Marcus Myksos
actually talented brother of

Post by Marcus Myksos »

Well what’s done is done, let’s just learn from this
Fight the fascist mods :madviking:

Raz

Post by Raz »

Orion wrote:
Rasmus wrote:Harald had a reason to investigate. You were trying to abuse people's trust in what people claim to be on an anonymous forum.
I disagree. Ryker chose to keep his old identity private. That's his choice and it does not violate any of the terms or conditions of either the forum or Shireroth. Harald, on the other hand, chose to invade Ryker's privacy and then publicly out him. Not only is this a violation of privacy and privileges, it is out of order. Harald could have chosen to PM Ryker instead, seeking a private audience to discuss the matter; as proper decorum would demand. If Harald had been rebuffed via private channels then and ONLY THEN would it have been proper to make a public statement.
Like I said...
Rasmus wrote:So many opinions and feelings. :herman:
To be fair, I don't consider any one of them more valid than the other. So I will refrain from discussing this further.

Mira Octavius-Aryani

Marcus Myksos wrote:Well what’s done is done, let’s just learn from this
I think you're in the wrong hobby if you think anyone learns from these events.

Count Palatine of Kezan
Khanum of Cabbagefall

Raz

Post by Raz »

Mira Octavius-Aryani wrote:I think you're in the wrong hobby if you think anyone learns from these events.
Of course people learn. Ryker has learned to use a proxy server next time and Harald has learned to leak the info more subtle.

Mira Octavius-Aryani

Good point. Sometimes, people do learn.

Count Palatine of Kezan
Khanum of Cabbagefall

Marcus Myksos
actually talented brother of

Post by Marcus Myksos »

Rasmus wrote:
Mira Octavius-Aryani wrote:I think you're in the wrong hobby if you think anyone learns from these events.
Of course people learn. Ryker has learned to use a proxy server next time and Harald has learned to leak the info more subtle.
Not helping Rasmus!
Fight the fascist mods :madviking:

Krasniy Yastreb

Post by Krasniy Yastreb »

Ah, another glittering victory for proprietorial psychopathy in the war against contributor retention... and people wonder why I don't come back to this board :rolleyes:

At any rate, good to see you again Ryker. If Shirerithian scribes are bothering you, you could always pick up where you left off in Natopia...

ari
Grim Auxiliator

Post by ari »

Ryker wrote:I implore the Admigods to consider removing the ability to view post IPs from the current Scribe's arsenal as he has clearly demonstrated that he is more than willing to misuse it to simply treat what appears to be a deathly case of the Nosy-Nellies.
There's one major problem with this, which is that we have approximately a billion groups that give various moderator permissions on various forums. I think if you're going to have a board where people can have an expectation of privacy in this respect, then the rules for what they can expect should be reasonably simple. Will it cause some sort of huge problems if moderators don't get a "view post details" button at all? We'll see, because I just edited our moderator roles to do that. (That's mostly an experiment, I make no promise for now that it'll stay that way - although if people like it, it will - nor even that it actually works...)

(oh, and just to state the obvious: Admins can still see everyone's IP addresses, and that can't be reasonably changed)
Lord Furniture
Not even partially responsible for Malarboria; will take the blame for Caverden, though!
Tallest and therefore Greatest of the Janitors
Eternal Watcher of #micronations

Ryker
The Third Ryke

Post by Ryker »

Thank you. The gesture itself is very much appreciated.
Ryker00X
Ryker of the Sovereign Confederation
Head of House Redquill

Return to “Administrative Soviet”