Gypsies, Hippies and other travelling Lunatics

Moderators: Tudor ap Rimetar, (Shireroth) Steward, (Shireroth) Kaiser, (Shireroth) Duke of Goldshire

Ryabin Merkayastreb

Gypsies, Hippies and other travelling Lunatics

Post by Ryabin Merkayastreb »

This document has been struck from the county record by order of the Council of Elders of the Lands of the Tenth Degree of the Lodge of Stars.

The Dagger of Sacrifice has been removed from the House of Cats and entrusted to the custody of one Albede Zemphirich Yastreb.

May the souls of the Lunatics find the final protection of the Moon's light in accordance with the prophecies of Lumenetra, and may no other force bind them.

S E N I O R E S - X - T E R R A E
147th Moon, Waning Gibbous
5840 ASC

Ryker
The Third Ryke

Re: Gypsies, Hippies and other travelling Lunatics

Post by Ryker »

Gypsies never struck me as patriotic.
Ryker00X
Ryker of the Sovereign Confederation
Head of House Redquill

Mira Octavius-Aryani

Post by Mira Octavius-Aryani »

How do you even make that image?

Also, another excellent read. I love it. I LOVE IT.

Count Palatine of Kezan
Khanum of Cabbagefall

Deimos Jasonides

Post by Deimos Jasonides »

We have to leave the EU! The Gypsies are here!
Deimos Jasonides| Деймоос Ясооннаи | Deimoos Jasoonnai
Grand Officer of the Holy Order of the Strait of Barbary
Former Prime Minister of the State of Talenore
Former Sovereign Prince of Elwynn

Just another Ric

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Post by Verion »

I know of a German fellow who had a pretty adequate solution for this kind of plague.
:twisted:
1.Titus Morvayne, Prefect of Shirekeep, Count of the Skyla Islands
2.Eki Aholibamah Verion, Queen in the North
3. Ludovic Verion, Lord of Blackstone and Governor-General of the Iron Company
4. Jeremy Harwinsson Archer, super sleuth

Aryeztur

Post by Aryeztur »

The way you modern Europeans treat Gypsies is terrible and sad. Not individually of course, but in general.
The Great King, King of Kings, King of the World

Raz
The Mikado, as played on catgut strings

Post by Raz »

Just (macronational) Nazi supporters like Ric and Jack think that way.

Mira Octavius-Aryani

A gypsy once showed a tit to me in a busy Berlin square. They've become quite economically marginized to think that would get her money. They have a fascinating history, language, and cultural norms.

Count Palatine of Kezan
Khanum of Cabbagefall

Aryeztur

Post by Aryeztur »

A gypsy once showed a tit to me in a busy Berlin square. They've become quite economically marginized to think that would get her money. They have a fascinating history, language, and cultural norms.
I suppose you didn't throw her a couple of coins? I've found their history fascinating as well, though they only appeared on my academic radar a year back after reading some Economist articles on them and reading certain fantasy novels (The Name of the Wind) that feature pseudo-gypsy characters. I find it especially sad that they're basically accused of almost being inherently thieves when local sedentary peoples treat and marginalize them in a way that leaves them little choice. Sadly, it seems like they might have been descended from certain lower caste groups in northwest India and may have migrated partially to escape those low caste conditions but ended up being in the same pariah like position in Europe.

Thadeus Laing
Sea Elf, Sea Elf Run

Post by Thadeus Laing »

Bravo! Nice piece, Ryabin!

I concur with Aryeztur on the state of the gypsies in Europe.

Mira Octavius-Aryani

Frankly, I was too awkward and was too intent on reaching a particular bookstore to buy a German edition of a book for my grandmother. It was in Mitte, near the Fernsehturm. Nice locale but it's rife with pickpockets.

Part of the continued problem for the gypsy population is the same problem of many minority groups seeking to maintain cohesion: they mistake participation in the greater society for assimilation.

Count Palatine of Kezan
Khanum of Cabbagefall

Ryabin Merkayastreb

This document has been struck from the county record by order of the Council of Elders of the Lands of the Tenth Degree of the Lodge of Stars.

The Dagger of Sacrifice has been removed from the House of Cats and entrusted to the custody of one Albede Zemphirich Yastreb.

May the souls of the Lunatics find the final protection of the Moon's light in accordance with the prophecies of Lumenetra, and may no other force bind them.

5840 ASC

Mira Octavius-Aryani

You could've avoided it all if you had just named them Lunatic Travellers!
Last edited by Mira Octavius-Aryani on Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Count Palatine of Kezan
Khanum of Cabbagefall

Tokaray al-Osman

Post by Tokaray al-Osman »

Let the Romany and the Pavee fight it out and the winner gets to be declared reputable and lawful.

Edit:

I think this probably covers it:
In earlier times, when they were migrant workers or tinkers, everybody needed them; they were accepted. And then they lost their function in society, and they had to find other ways of doing business. I don’t know what has lead to the breakdown, but it is to do with the fact that a lot of them lost their function in mainstream society. Something has happened. I would say it is deep inside, you don’t see it completely; it is not obvious, but you see it in the way that some of the people look at them. They are so completely different in some ways from the main settled Irish community.
Considering that the redundancy of Humans as operating systems is becoming an evermore established economic reality I think our descendants can look forward to a similar marginalisation.
His Imperial Magnificence Aurangzeb II Steffki, Kaiser of the Imperial Republic of Shireroth, Thane of the Shirelands, Keeper of the Apollo Legacy, Wielder of the Sword of Vengeance, Grand Master of the Orders of the Dragon, Griffin, Phoenix, and Chimera, Sovereign of the Golden Mango Throne.
Dr Tokaray al-Osman KBH, Commissioner of the Chamber of the Crypteia, Emir of Jadid Khaz Modan, Annexer of Yardistan

Ryabin Merkayastreb

5840 ASC

Mira Octavius-Aryani

I'm starting to wonder whether the far future will involve every individual person living off of universally-owned stock dividends, putting in a few hours a week depending on their job specialties, like people who have membership in co-operative supermarkets.

Count Palatine of Kezan
Khanum of Cabbagefall

Tokaray al-Osman

Post by Tokaray al-Osman »

Mira Octavius-Aryani wrote:I'm starting to wonder whether the far future will involve every individual person living off of universally-owned stock dividends, putting in a few hours a week depending on their job specialties, like people who have membership in co-operative supermarkets.
I think that would probably be the optimum outcome from amongst all the possibilities - and that's speaking as someone who doesn't really believe in egalitarianism.
His Imperial Magnificence Aurangzeb II Steffki, Kaiser of the Imperial Republic of Shireroth, Thane of the Shirelands, Keeper of the Apollo Legacy, Wielder of the Sword of Vengeance, Grand Master of the Orders of the Dragon, Griffin, Phoenix, and Chimera, Sovereign of the Golden Mango Throne.
Dr Tokaray al-Osman KBH, Commissioner of the Chamber of the Crypteia, Emir of Jadid Khaz Modan, Annexer of Yardistan

Mira Octavius-Aryani

It could turn into a non-disembodied-brain version of The Gamesters of Triskelion, where those who live off those dividends form an upper class and make bets with their excess income on the outcomes of gladiatorial fights to the death between members of the jobless underclass created by this new economy.

Is that sufficiently dystopian to warm your heart again?

Count Palatine of Kezan
Khanum of Cabbagefall

Aryeztur

Post by Aryeztur »

Alternatively, a major war could throw us back all the way to the "stone age" which would solve the problem in another way. In lieu of Chris' optimal solution, at the very least I can see (or hope for) some sort of scenario like in Asimov or Dune where people basically ban robots or computers.

Aryeztur

Post by Aryeztur »

Part of the continued problem for the gypsy population is the same problem of many minority groups seeking to maintain cohesion: they mistake participation in the greater society for assimilation.
Personally, I do believe that after 2-3 generations, there will basically be assimilation. Sure, you can maintain token attributes of your original culture, like most Jews in America, but for the main part be assimilated within the mainstream culture. Only by putting up barriers, can you truly maintain your way of life.

Return to “Lunaris”