Our Purpose

An association of largely autonomous states spread throughout Micras, within a union to promote prosperity, cooperation and mutual protection. Varying cultures, ways of life and systems of governments join together in brotherhood to form The Dominion.
Amund Einhornsson

Our Purpose

Post by Amund Einhornsson »

Greetings all and sundry,

There comes a time when those with something in common unite. For a while, it seemed that Normark and Elwynn had something in common, but it turned out to be mostly superficial. That is not to say, however, that Elwynn was not a faithful brother - the Orchid shall always grow strong in my realm. Nova England had been an close ally of Normark's during the Grand Kingdom days and, as such, they are considered brothers as well. Normark needs more autonomy, however, and the arrangements with Elwynn were simply not sufficient. I digress, however, and propose the following agenda for my comrades of Nova England and the Lighthouse Citystate.
  • Deciding our name - what do we, as more of a federation of autonomous states, feel that we should call ourselves? It should be ethnically neutral.
  • Deciding our form of government and how far it will extend into the governance of our individual realms. We need to decide which offices should be a part of the primary government and what will remain in our realms.
  • The drafting of our constitution/chartering document.
  • The creation of a flag.
My own answers:

I am quite fond of the sound of "The Dominion of Free States", it alludes to no particular constituency and has a strong-sounding short form - The Dominion!

My primary idea with the form of government is that we have a simple triad, whereby we, as heads of states of each individual constituency meet and guide the larger nation. We keep our own laws, our own forms of government, but we delegate simple things like foreign affairs and defense in emergency situations (such as outright war) to the overarching primary government. Laws and resolutions which would be binding throughout all of our realms would have to be unanimously agreed upon by the triad to be enacted, to ensure that we all have a fair deal and fair say. Should one disagree, there is nothing stopping them from implementing their proposal in their own constituency - no harm no foul. I also propose we have a more formal and proper meeting system, with perhaps an adopted form of Robert's Rules or some such.

I await my fellows.
Grand Marshall of Normark

Jonas
Lord of the Fries

Re: Our Purpose

Post by Jonas »

I like 'Dominion' but doubt about adding 'Free States'. Not that I'm against it, and we all know that our nation sees freedom as one of its highest values ( :wink: ), but it sounds like we desperately want to proof what we are. Why not 'Dominion of the States Who One Day Will Rule The World'? Or simply something as 'United Dominion'?
Important characters:
Frederik Alfons des Vinandy-Paravel, King of Batavia
Joseph Bartholomeus des Vinandy-Windsor, Prince-Regent of Batavia
Jin San, Diwang of Jingdao, Duke of Kildare

Josephus

Post by Josephus »

In terms of government structure as Herr Einhorsson has suggested a council of the heads of state that form the dominion should be sufficient. From which the council will be able to bring Dominion Policies which could be opted out of if national legislative bodies decide. Thus if a certain policy is deemed detrimental to any member state then they can vote to opt out of that policy with a predetermined majority.

On the military side of things I'm thinking of a small reaction force made up of different member states whilst members will retain their national military but will be required to react if either the council and members states pass a resolution to declare war or if the dominion is attacked....

Anyhow just floating some ideas. :-D

M. Lucius Praetor

Post by M. Lucius Praetor »

I am in favour of a 'standing army' for the Dominion, for Tyrenia, a small nation, is that very good.

I think, on politics, that the national parliaments should be sovereign within the boundaries of the constitution of the dominion.
Marcus Lucius Praetor,
Consule de Republica de Tyrenia.

un persona de Giacomo

Return to “The Dominion”