Imperial bloodlines

Moderators: (Shireroth) Steward, (Shireroth) Kaiser

Mira Raynora Major
Bathtub Philosopher

Re: Imperial bloodlines

Post by Mira Raynora Major »

I don't think this is a bad idea of Ryker's by any means, but I do feel we need to be clear about the implications.

As I understood it, descent from Raynor- however distant, vague, or contrived- was a sine qua non of being Kaiser(ess); while in practical terms a zie might have gained the throne by bequest, conquest or election, the legitimacy of zir claim was nevertheless founded in blood. But by introducing the concept of Kaiser(esse)s who are explicitly not descended from Raynor, we are in effect renegotiating a central tenet upon which the Kaisership- and indeed the Shirerithian state- is founded.
Ryker wrote: Well I'm here on record saying that Ryker and Raynor are so far separated by blood and marriage that the two are just short of being different species. Any relation that future historians "find" I do hereby renounce in advance (are all my bases covered? ). I don't know how they would even find a tangible link considering that I just showed up with little to no memory of my pre-Shireroth past and (in an unreleased story I have somewhere around here) came from a place which no one knows existed and doesn't exist anymore anyways.
While I respect your choice OOC, had I been more aware of this stance at the time, then there may well have been "IC" repercussions.

Lichbrook's rulers may be thought of as "super legitimists" whose rule over the former Duchy of Brookshire is rooted in their claim to be the heir general of Raynor, through descent from his daughter Mira...who in their eyes was scandalously passed over for the Kaisership in favour of the descendants of her younger brothers. Remember that Raynor inherited Brookshire from his mother, which implies that secession to the duchy has always been cognatic rather than agnatic, even if at one time females were not eligible for the Imperial Throne.

Given that the rulers of Lichbrook have such a dim view of the Lines of Metzler and Mortis, who they regard as little more usurpers, can you imagine how they would view the claims of a Kaiser who doesn't even pretend to be descended from Raynor?
Mira Raynora the Elder
Queen of Lichbrook, Duchess of Brookshire
Lichgravine of Overdolor, Countess of Caverden and Woodshire
Cedrist Demi-Goddess of Undead and Regional Autonomy

Hadrian Myksos
Lord of the Fries

Post by Hadrian Myksos »

Vilhelm Benkern wrote:It's not a question of validity - in canon terms, I believe Raynor isn't a real person, and if zie was, we've got a mythical version of zie in our history books.
:OO:

Hadrian Myksos

"Extra Siseram nulla salus, extra Germaniam nulla vis"

Jonas

Jonathan
Gnawing Cannibal

Post by Jonathan »

In Elwynnese canon, it's only 300 or so years since Raynor massacred our villages and subdued us to the evil Boomist terror. He was very real. We will not forget. Nor will we forget. Elwynn endures, and Elwynn prevails!
Prince Jonathan
MIRZA JONATHAN MERLINGSSON AYREON-KALIRION

[spoiler]Emir of Sathrati
Prince of Natopia
Prince among the Lakes
Duke of New Aquitane
Duke of Haven
Count Shishin
Count of Northshire
Count of Arietta
Count of Cape Farewell
Count of Ransenar
Lord of Andelarion
Jarl of Frostarike
Baig of Upasāgara
Scion of the King of Kings[/spoiler]

Vilhelm Benkern

Post by Vilhelm Benkern »

When that alternate time speed that conceived, was reunification with Shireroth considered a potential future situation? :geek:
Vilhelm Benkern DEOMI, Member of the Order of the Dragon, Silver Swan, Red Dragon
Dirigent of Musica, Count of Mar Sara
In Aryasht Prapta Vrteti, former Prince of Aryasht; Zaila Vrteti, Norfolknath
In Elwynn Benjamin Sebasokrator Timothy Quentin Kern, Duke of Raikoth
In Khalypsil Representative of the Wisdom

Mira Octavius-Aryani

Post by Mira Octavius-Aryani »

Mira: exactly why I see a value in contriving (false) descent. We can all wink and nod about their legitimacy but paper over it.

Count Palatine of Kezan
Khanum of Cabbagefall

Kaiseress Kizzy

Post by Kaiseress Kizzy »

I found it difficult to connect my family to the lines of Raynor because I was born on a different continent and so was Sehml. He was elected and I inherited from a non-relative. I didn't see how it could be possible. Perhaps the Dracoheim of Yardistan is the ancient, ancient, ancient origin of the settlers of the Dracoheim of Natopia.... and perhaps thats how the Line of Drak can wind its way back to Shireroth?
Her Niftiness
KIZZY

The Kaiseress of Shireroth

Ryker
The Third Ryke

Post by Ryker »

Well, I claim to be the same species as him. We share the same Y chromosome or something. Tada!

P.S. How are the Safirians related to Raynor. Not even the same species and planet. I am not at all quesioning their legitimacy; quite the contrary. I am wondering why no one freaked out then.
Ryker00X
Ryker of the Sovereign Confederation
Head of House Redquill

Hadrian Myksos
Lord of the Fries

Post by Hadrian Myksos »

Ryker wrote:Well, I claim to be the same species as him. We share the same Y chromosome or something. Tada!

P.S. How are the Safirians related to Raynor. Not even the same species and planet. I am not at all quesioning their legitimacy; quite the contrary. I am wondering why no one freaked out then.
They probably ate a Raynorian. :wink:
Hadrian Myksos

"Extra Siseram nulla salus, extra Germaniam nulla vis"

Jonas

HIH Prince Daniel

Post by HIH Prince Daniel »

Ryker wrote:Well, I claim to be the same species as him. We share the same Y chromosome or something. Tada!

IIRC Andreas made a tenous link between the House of Miłarna (itself a cadet branch of the House of Ašura) and the House of Fenrir, and conveniently omitted most of the misadventures that placed Raynor's blood in Rei's veins. I don't even, either.
His Imperial Highness The Prince Daniel

Mira Raynora Major
Bathtub Philosopher

Post by Mira Raynora Major »

In case clarity is needed, I am not criticising anyone's choices. All I am saying is that we should not be blind to the "in sim" implications of those choices.
Mira Raynora the Elder
Queen of Lichbrook, Duchess of Brookshire
Lichgravine of Overdolor, Countess of Caverden and Woodshire
Cedrist Demi-Goddess of Undead and Regional Autonomy

Ryker
The Third Ryke

Post by Ryker »

So this go as far as it needed to or are we going to bring this back from the dead a year from now and start a civil war?
Ryker00X
Head of House Redquill

Vilhelm Benkern

I was hoping for more consensus on this idea, but let's just see how it goes. For now, I think your use of 'sangloran' for your own Kaisership seems like a good way to go forward - others can embrace this if they want. We can also put Daniel III and Carl I under this category perhaps.
Vilhelm Benkern DEOMI, Member of the Order of the Dragon, Silver Swan, Red Dragon

HIH Prince Daniel

Post by HIH Prince Daniel »

Why do Stewards need bloodlines?
His Imperial Highness The Prince Daniel

Ryker
The Third Ryke

Post by Ryker »

Cause it's fun.
Ryker00X
Head of House Redquill

Mira Octavius-Aryani

Post by Mira Octavius-Aryani »

Stewards have become Kaisers so it makes sense to involve them in that.

Count Palatine of Kezan
Khanum of Cabbagefall

Vilhelm Benkern

Remember, Carl, that historically the position of Steward was essentially a designation of heir to the Kaisership. Therefore it makes perfect sense that most stewards would come from Imperial Bloodlines, and indeed that ruling stewards would invariably justify their temporary straddling of the Golden Mango throne with that blood. Check out the list, I refer you to Celestis I, Stjepan I, Nikkolo I, Shyriath I etc.

I personally view those who do not specify their Imperial Bloodline (in line with Rossheim's sine non qua) as belonging to the most natural bloodline for that person, or some minor branch not currently recognised in the histories, or potentially not a valid Kaiser, as in the case of Cedris I.

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Post by Verion »

Stewards are a bit weird too. Not all ruling stewards are included, only the ones that ruled between Kaisers.
1.Titus Morvayne, Prefect of Shirekeep, Count of the Skyla Islands
2.Eki Aholibamah Verion, Queen in the North
3. Ludovic Verion, Lord of Blackstone and Governor-General of the Iron Company
4. Jeremy Harwinsson Archer, super sleuth

Vilhelm Benkern

Yes, it's a weird list. Essentially "sole ruling sovereigns of Shireroth". Therefore Stewards are only included where no Kaiser was reigning at that time; equally, the Landsraad "rules" when no Kaiser AND no Steward were reigning.

Kaiseress Kizzy

Post by Kaiseress Kizzy »

I've connected the line of Drak to the Line of Grifos, hopefully not too far out of the bounds of belief.

http://shireroth.org/shirewiki/Line_of_Drak
Her Niftiness
KIZZY

The Kaiseress of Shireroth

Raz
The Mikado, as played on catgut strings

Post by Raz »

Our jokes become a lot less funny now they are confirmed.

Return to “John Metzler III University”