[Leng] Leng Spiders

The shore under the shadow of Leng, a cursed island set in the frozen Boreal wastes of the polar icecaps.

Moderators: (Natopia) Emperor, (Natopia) Chancellor, (Natopia) King of Normark

Orion
Full of shi... err.. stars!

[Leng] Leng Spiders

Post by Orion »

The Leng Spider (Lycosidae gigantus) is a native inhabitant of the island, found only in the icy wastes of the upper plateau, where they hide amongst the dark crags and await some poor creature to fall victim to their monstrous webs. These spiders are not your average small house arachnid the size of a quarter. Leng Spiders stand a full five to six feet in height, with a breadth from leg-to-leg of about double that (providing geometric support). A spider is easily identifiable, not only due to their immense size, but because they are also covered with purplish hairs. They are carnivorous and will eat just about whatever falls into their webs, whose white-colored webbing blends nicely with the predominant ice and snow of the plateau. Some spiders have been known to even catch polar bears in their giant webs, entrapping and then paralyzing them before they have much of a chance to react. Leng Spiders are also known for their intelligence, and it is rumored that some human cults even worship these creatures, believing they once held a vast underground civilization aeons ago. A Leng Spider's brain is located not in the head, but in the bulbous abdomen of the insect, along with most other vital organs. The head itself is simply a mass of muscles and sensory nerves, giving the creature exceptional detection and speed. Their brains are abnormally large, suggesting a latent intelligence not presently evident. If indeed these creatures had possessed intelligence or, as rumor suggests, a form of society, it long ago degenerated into the sheer ferocity they now display. It is partly because of these spiders that men fear to travel the plateau, yet nonetheless, those who live in Leng swear to protect them, and any person caught killing a spider is set upon by horrors worse than being caught by a spider and slowly drained of life.

Elijah Ayreon

Re: [Leng] Leng Spiders

Post by Elijah Ayreon »

I REMEMBER THESE! Are they still there...?
Elijah Ayreon-Dariolin of Waffle-Paine (no longer with us)

Ric.

Orion

Post by Orion »

Oh, they're still there all right.

Elijah Ayreon

Post by Elijah Ayreon »

Don't tell Ardy that. Ever since the war against the Ohl'tar he's been antiarachnidistic.

Ric.

Emir of Raspur

Post by Emir of Raspur »

Any non-human species identified as approaching higher functioning sentience ought to be exterminated* as they would constitute, in and of themselves merely by virtue of existing, an unwarranted rival to Humanity for primacy and dominion over the planet.

*After a full an exhaustive study of a representative sample of specimens has been undertaken so as to ensure that so that no esoteric knowledge or attribute that might be useful to applied sciences is overlooked, which would be a tragedy.

The UDF Commissariat will pay handsomely for any Leng Spider that is either captured alive or is delivered relatively intact after it has been killed.
Last edited by Emir of Raspur on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elijah Ayreon

Post by Elijah Ayreon »

The Prince wishes to make known that the views expressed by Chancellor Osmani were done so in a private capacity and they do not reflect the Prince's view. The Prince adheres to the spirit of the Decree on Minority Rights and Corporal Punishment.

Ric.

Orion

Post by Orion »

Can I send Giles to fetch one with a butterfly net? [/feigned innocence]

Emir of Raspur

Post by Emir of Raspur »

If indeed these creatures had possessed intelligence or, as rumor suggests, a form of society, it long ago degenerated into the sheer ferocity they now display.
With the utmost respect to His Serenity the possibility that voracious predators might eventually recover their latent sentient capacity seems to make the prompt organising of a cull something of an imperative.

I do not want to learn from the papers one day that our Proconsular Postmaster has been devoured by an arachnid that happens to be smarter than he is.

Edit: Why yes Orion, we can certainly ask him to map out their lairs for us. :salute:
Last edited by Emir of Raspur on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elijah Ayreon

Post by Elijah Ayreon »

"An arachid smarter than he is" must be the best sentence I've heard for a while. It says everything yet nothing.

Ric.

HIM Keita V

Post by HIM Keita V »

H'm... intelligent giant spiders... where have I heard this before...? :P
Last edited by HIM Keita V on Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keita V
29th Safir Empress
Played by Carl

Orion

Post by Orion »

HIM Keita V wrote:H'm... intelligent giant spiders... where have I heard this before...? :P
Granted I wrote this sometime before 2009. So my giant spiders predate yours by several centuries. :wink:

And in regards to UDF concerns, we could simply treat them like Palestinians and put a tall fence up around Leng. =p

Emir of Raspur

Post by Emir of Raspur »

And pass on the opportunity to combine Arctic Warfare training with exotic safaris? :babkhan:

HIM Keita V

Post by HIM Keita V »

I We The public demand spider riders! :posh:
Keita V
29th Safir Empress
Played by Carl

Thadeus Laing
Sea Elf, Sea Elf Run

Post by Thadeus Laing »

Spiders, this is like The Hobbit.

Jacobus Loki
The plaything of capricious Archons...

Post by Jacobus Loki »

More like Shelob.
Jacobus Loki

Once and Future King of the Ma'alanje
Prophet of Loki, Wielder of the Sword of Madness

Shireroth sumus. Tempus in parte nostrum est.

Return to “Leng”