Moderators: Vilhelm Benkern, (Shireroth) Steward, (Shireroth) Kaiser

Vilhelm Benkern

[GP-5245i] Legal Aid in Shireroth

Post by Vilhelm Benkern »

The Board of Governance of the Mango Bar
Gold Paper on the State of Legal Aid in Shireroth

5245 ASC

Executive Summary

Legal aid is a concept currently alien to the Shirerithian legal system. While Landsraadspersons are paid for passing laws into effect, an important group of people in seeing those laws made effectively for everyone in Shireroth - lawyers - are not always in the position to work pro bono. Acting on behalf of clients for free always has been and always will be a part of the Shirerithian legal ecosphere, but it is held that without a systemised process of state funding for legal representation of the poorest in Shireroth in the most important of cases, the capacity for great injustice to be wrought exists. Therefore the Mango Bar recommends to the Landsraad, the Minister of Trade and His Niftiness the Kaiser that a Legal Aid policy be introduced, with the following provision identified as being of particularly vital importance:
  • CRITICAL: Providing sufficient funds for adequate advocacy and providing court fees where necessary for applications for Judex review of laws and measures that may violate the Charter.
  • NECESSARY: Providing sufficient funds for adequate advocacy and providing court fees for criminal defence, within the legal systems of Imperial States and before the Imperial Judex.
  • IMPORTANT: Providing sufficient funds for adequate advocacy and providing court fees for businesses party to disputes between states before the Imperial Judex.
This basic level of provision would reinvigorate the Shirerithian legal services sector outside of its traditionally strongest areas (criminal prosecution, commercial disputes and maritime law) and ensure an irreducible minimum of protection against the excesses of violations of the Charter, criminal prosecution and inter-state commercial dispute for every holder of Shirerithian or Imperial State citizenship.

Martinko Metzler-Melang
Chairman
Board of Governance, Mango Bar
Vilhelm Benkern DEOMI, Member of the Order of the Dragon, Silver Swan, Red Dragon
Dirigent of Musica, Count of Mar Sara
In Aryasht Prapta Vrteti, former Prince of Aryasht; Zaila Vrteti, Norfolknath
In Elwynn Benjamin Sebasokrator Timothy Quentin Kern, Duke of Raikoth
In Khalypsil Representative of the Wisdom

Ryabin Merkayastreb

Re: [GP-5245i] Legal Aid in Shireroth

Post by Ryabin Merkayastreb »

Metzler-Melang
Two names which I never thought I'd see as one... :OO:
Ryabin Merkayastreb
- Son of Krasniy, Father of Stellus
- From 5222-5461 ASC, Duke of Goldshire