[TC Lobby] Languages Bill

Moderator: Malliki

Elijah Ayreon

[TC Lobby] Languages Bill

Post by Elijah Ayreon »

The language bill is circulating in the lobby of the Trinity Council by Mma Vinfetto and her delegation. If they are confident that the bill could be passed in the TC, they will have their underlings in the House to submit it there for passage.
ACT ON THE LANGUAGES OF THE FREE STATE IN ADMINISTRATION

1. The Free State recognizes the Cisamarrese, East Sanillan and Passikaans languages as official languages of the Free State. These languages can be used by anyone in all federal authorities, in all communications with federal authorities, and all laws and ordinances must be published in these languages.

2. The Free State recognizes the Amarrese Popular Sanillan ("Amarri"), Babkhi, Praeta and Yardistani languages as official minority languages. All speakers of these languages shall have the right to employ this language in communications with federal authorities and in the courts of law.

3. The Free State recognizes that it has a moral obligation to advance the status and conservation of the Istvani native languages.
Elijah Ayreon-Dariolin of Waffle-Paine (no longer with us)

Ric.

Malliki

Re: [TC Lobby] Languages Bill

Post by Malliki »

A good start, but I object to the classification of Amarri, which is the proper term, as a minority language. The language has more native speakers than Cisamarrese and is, unlike Cisamarrese, a truly native language. It is closely related to Sanillan, which is the most spoken language in the nation. In short, Amarri should be classified as an official language, not minority language.

I also protest the classification of Praeta as an official minority language. The number of speakers according to most surveys are not enough to merit such a designation. Istvani, for instance, vastly outnumbers the number of Praeta speakers. Praeta is also not an indigenous language. Also, the proper term for the language spoken in the Ni district is Yardi, as used by most Sanillan linguists. The language is separate from the Yardistani of Shireroth. I also believe that Istvani should be classified as a minority language.

I also notice that you do not mention Amarr Creole in this bill. I believe that some sort of protection should be provided for that language.
Malliki Tosha
Acting Xonuti of the Free State of Sanilla
Poluti Poki'i of Sanilla

Malliki

Post by Malliki »

Does the Amarri delegation wish to continue discussing this bill?
Malliki Tosha
Poluti Poki'i of Sanilla

Elijah Ayreon

Post by Elijah Ayreon »

"We are not Amarri, we are Amarrese. We can agree to the scientific changes proposed, but we are concerned what the implications of making the low status language official. Perhaps, a municipality official language section should be introduced? Any native speaking population of a language exceeding 15% makes the language official in that municipality."

Ric.

Malliki

Post by Malliki »

In that case, most municipalities in Amarr would be Amarri. As a Sanillan I cannot approve a language bill that excludes 14 million people. Does the honorable councilwoman even have a majority in your own delegation, of which several are Amarri, for excluding the second most spoken language in the nation?
Malliki Tosha
Poluti Poki'i of Sanilla

Elijah Ayreon

Post by Elijah Ayreon »

Vinfetto: "It doesn't exclude them, silly! They all learn Cisamarrese and East Sanillan in school! For municipality reasons, I agree that "Amarri" should be given recognition but on the federal level? That's just outrageous. It will never work."

Ric.

Malliki

Post by Malliki »

Given your opposition to the inclusion of 14 million people, I feel obligated to propose that Sanillan, Amarri and Pasikaans be considered national official languages, with Cisamarrese as a recognised minority language. I'm pretty confident I could drum up support for that in both the Chamber and this Council. So what will it be? I also wonder what your people will think when an East Sanillan represents them better than the honorable councilwoman from Siccre.
Malliki Tosha
Poluti Poki'i of Sanilla

Elijah Ayreon

Post by Elijah Ayreon »

I concede.

Ric.

Malliki

Post by Malliki »

I'm sure the Amarri will appreciate that.
Malliki Tosha
Poluti Poki'i of Sanilla

Vilhelm Benkern

Post by Vilhelm Benkern »

Two score and two years ago, the people of this free state were coerced into a mass exodus. This was in response to the millennia-old cruelty of feudalism which it became clear was not abrogated in the slightest by protectorate status. We must not repeat the same mistakes our former overlords made in enshrining our personal beliefs about the value of a civilisation or language in law, except to say that they are in the eyes of the law equal. Passikaaners fundamentally may view one language as sounding like a cat being slowly suffocated, but that does not mean that language, if spoken by a significant portion of the population, should not be recognised in law. Although tax relief for Passikaaners living in Amarri-dominated areas would be a good compensation, for the cost of earplugs or therapy.
Vilhelm Benkern DEOMI, Member of the Order of the Dragon, Silver Swan, Red Dragon
Dirigent of Musica, Count of Mar Sara
In Aryasht Prapta Vrteti, former Prince of Aryasht; Zaila Vrteti, Norfolknath
In Elwynn Benjamin Sebasokrator Timothy Quentin Kern, Duke of Raikoth
In Khalypsil Representative of the Wisdom

Malliki

Post by Malliki »

I thank the councilman from Highpass for his support. I hope that we now can move forward with this bill and eventually have it introduced in the Chamber. I ask the councilwoman if she has considered the status of Creole or Istvani as well?
Malliki Tosha
Poluti Poki'i of Sanilla

Elijah Ayreon

Post by Elijah Ayreon »

The problem with Creole is that it is non-standardized and its varieties are very diverse. Istvani are a group of many related native languages, horridly unstudied. I would suggest that before Creole and Istavni are granted minority status, the languages should have some standardization, especially with regard to terminology and orthography.

Ric.

Malliki

Post by Malliki »

Sounds like a reasonable compromise.
Malliki Tosha
Poluti Poki'i of Sanilla

Malliki

Post by Malliki »

ACT ON THE LANGUAGES OF THE FREE STATE IN ADMINISTRATION

1. This Act may be cited as the Federal Languages Act.

2. The Free State recognizes the Sanillan, Amarri, Passikaans and Cisamarrese languages as official languages of the Free State. These languages can be used by anyone in all federal authorities, in all communications with federal authorities, and all laws and ordinances must be published in these languages.

3. The Free State recognizes the Yardi and Babkhi languages as official minority languages. All speakers of these languages shall have the right to employ this language in communications with federal authorities and in the courts of law.

4. The Free State recognizes that it has a moral obligation to advance the status and conservation of the Istvani native languages and the Amarri Creole language.

This version of the bill will be sent to the Chamber shortly.
Malliki Tosha
Poluti Poki'i of Sanilla

Return to “Trinity Council”