Stock exchange and economic boost

Want to run a business, make money, look for a job or just chat about the latest stock prices? This is the place.
Emperor Tamehito

Re: Stock exchange and economic boost

Post by Emperor Tamehito »

Maybe if we adopt a cryptocurrency? Or roll our own?
Carl

Thadeus Laing
Sea Elf, Sea Elf Run

Post by Thadeus Laing »

Ambassador Moa Fino,

I have just been appointed the economic minister for The Brettish Isles.
Now I will be able to act with official authority on Brettish behalf. So,
Ambassador, where might we begin? Would it be possible for Hamlandish
businesses to invest in The Brettish Isles in exchange for businesses
of The Brettish Isles investing an equal amount in Hamland? Please note
the following Business Regulation Act: http://bastionunion.org/forum/viewtopic ... 00&t=13217 .
We plan to investigate parts of your Hamlandish economic system for
adoption, although the Business Regulation Act is, well, probably set in stone
at this point (yes, the 15% business tax, I know, but how else are we going
to fund the construction of new royal mansions, "council flats", Jubilee
celebrations, and of course His Majesty's Navy?) If there is any advice
or instruction you can provide us (like on how to Liam Sinclair to write
glowing blog posts about your economic system--just kidding!) now
you may provide it. If you prefer more secrecy, then simply private message
me.

Cheers,

Thad Jr

Ambassador Moa Fino

Post by Ambassador Moa Fino »

Mr Lange,

First of all, congratulations on your appointment to the office of Economic Minister, and my apologies for my delayed response; I seem to have overlooked the posts which have been made here recently. In response to your question: yes, I do believe that it would be possible for our nations to set up some sort of "investment exchange" for lack of a better way of phrasing it. As far as I can tell, the Act you've linked to should have minimal bearing on our ability or inability to do so. In fact it actually creates certainly similarities between our economies, particularly in regards to Section H.

In order to begin trading between our countries, I would advise you to come up with a list of current and potential future companies (real and simulated) that you might like to add to the HAM50. To give you some idea of the sort of companies you might look into creating, I refer you here. Note that almost all of the companies listed here are "simulated," meaning that they sell quantities of simulated goods like grain, or beer, or oil, though there are a few (like Nuncrest Financial and Shirley Stock Fund) that offer real services, or more tangible goods. I encourage you to view the list at that link as a guide, and not to be discouraged if there are already one or two companies offering resources that you would like to sell. The more companies offering similar goods, the more competition on the market, the more dynamic the market becomes.

Once you've come up with a list of companies that you'd like to add to the market, the next step is to flesh out those companies by determining what goods they will sell, and the quantities of goods they will sell per share. To give you some idea of what I mean, I refer you to this table which breaks down Hamland's current industrial output: http://i.imgur.com/1vrLWxx.png. Looking at this table, you will see a bunch of information which might appear a bit overwhelming, but I can assure you that it's actually quite simple. Basically, this table outlines the quantity of goods obtained by investors, in relation to the number of shares that they've invested in any given company, or to look at it from another angle, it shows the quantites of goods offered by each company per share. So, starting from the top with Haembeer (HBR), you can see that the company offers 12 Kl of one type of beer for one share, 18 Kl of another type for one share, etc. Looking further down the table, you see that the Springville Stock Fund (SVS) offers 30 tons of wheat per share, 15 tons of oatmeal per share, etc. This process of determining quantities per share can be understood as also determining annual production capacities. SVS offers 30 tons of wheat per share, and it offers 25,000 shares on the market, so it has a total annual production capacity of 750,000 tons of wheat. Note that in order to determine total production capacities, you'll need to decide on the total number of shares you want to offer (float) on the market.

Having determined production capacities, the next step is to begin applying to join the HAM50. As it stands, we don't really have a rigorous admittance policy when it comes to joining. Nations who wish to add companies to the market are generally allowed to without any fuss, because again, we believe that a policy of inclusiveness and welcomeness is the key to long term success. That said, the Brettish Isles wouldn't necessarily need to sign any explicit treaties in order to join, though treaties might develop between our nations as a byproduct of your membership on our nation's market. In order to add your companies to the market, you'll need to fill out the form at the end of this post , and post it to this thread (which, also might provide you with some information as to how you could manage things like bonds and loans.) Like I said, almost all company applications will be accepted, though we might ask you to make certain changes if it is determined that your Suggested Float Amount or suggested Float Price might undermine the market. Once your company is added, you can expect to receive investments almost immediately, as Hamland's regional investors are constantly on the lookout for new goods to acquire. Some of Hamland's investors may even be willing to work with Brettish Investors on joint ventures, if such endeavors prove to be desirable.

I think that I've pretty much touched on most of your question, but if I've left anything out, let me know and I will do my best to clarify. Thank you for your interest, and we in Hamland eagerly look forward to doing business with you.

Company Application
Please fill out one application for each company you would like to add to the market. Applications should be submitted to the thread linked to earlier, or sent to me via PM, either here or on the hub.
Company Name:
Description:
URL Link to Company:
Stock Code: (three letter):
Privilege: (see below)
Suggested Float Amount: (The number of shares you would like to offer on the market. Again, this relates to production capacity)
Suggested Float Price: (cost per shares)

Thadeus Laing
Sea Elf, Sea Elf Run

Post by Thadeus Laing »

Hello Ambassador Moa Finto,

Thank you for your reply. Upon reading your reply, I see that you are
one of the more intelligent individuals in geofictional economics. This
is good for my plans for The Brettish Isles. (It is disappointing many times
to see the lack of depth of understanding that some participants in
interactive geofiction have towards economics simulations.)

I have PM'd you an application for a subsidiary of Commonwealth Enterprises,
which will be known as Brettish General Industries.
The company will be 51% owned by Commonowealth Enterprises, a company
that is a conglomerate that will not be on the HAM50, and which is itself owned
85% by The Brettish Government and 15% owned by Lange Family Holdings Ltd.
(The rest of Brettish General , the 49%, is what I would like have floated on the
stock market.)

I do hope the values are appropriate, but if not, they can be adjusted to
be in line with the HAM50's other companies.

Ambassador Moa Fino

The values you provided were fine; no corrections were necessary. I have added Brettish General Industries to the market. Check it out, and if there need to be any corrections on my end, let me know and I will see what I can do.

Thadeus Laing
Sea Elf, Sea Elf Run

Post by Thadeus Laing »

Ambassador,

I would like to inform our Monarch about this wonderful news--
is there a link at which we can see our Brettish company newly
listed on the exchange?

Thank you,

Thadeus Lange Jr

Ambassador Moa Fino

Thadeus Laing
Sea Elf, Sea Elf Run

Post by Thadeus Laing »

Ambassador Moa Fino,

I see it on there as BRT. However it does not appear our account,
"Brettish Treasury" has control of the account so that we can sell
shares, etc. Are not we supposed to be granted control over the
account, or is that not how the HAM50 works?

Thadeus Lange Jr

Ambassador Moa Fino

If you want to have complete control over when/how your company's stocks are sold, then you'll need to buy up all the shares. Otherwise, it's basically as if the SCX sells your company's shares on your behalf. Andreas might correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no way for me to make you the default owner of the company on the market. The closest we could come would be to change the privilege to Control or Ownership, and even then, you would still need to be a majority shareholder in order to enjoy the benefits of those privileges.

So, to clarify, in order to gain complete control of how/when/where your company's shares are sold, you will need to become the majority shareholder of the company. This is kind of weird, I know, but I haven't found a way around it. Again, Andreas might correct me on this point.

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

Yeah, this was never designed for you to start with the shares created and sell them to others - since Erik's Stock Market mod does that - I just included the option of describing it as "you get to control the company" because people occasionally seemed to want it.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave. But he does deserve a cool war ribbon.
However, this account still manages:
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn - Speaker of Nelaga, Minister of Interior Affairs, and a Micron

Thadeus Laing
Sea Elf, Sea Elf Run

Post by Thadeus Laing »

Andreas the Wise and Ambassador Moa Fino,

Thank you for the information.

For now, then, we would like everything to remain as-is, so
that the SCX can do its work.

Signed,

Thadeus Lange Jr
Economics Minister, The Brettish Isles

Ambassador Moa Fino

Sure thing. Have you given any consideration as to the specific goods that your company will offer?

Ri Mhor
Sea Elf, Sea Elf Run

Post by Ri Mhor »

We doth wanteth to offereth wheat, wool, and oil, primari-lie, good sir.

A-ny other questiones you may have, I wouldest be glad to respondeth as I doth be the new Economic Minister for the Brettish Isles :)

Return to “Economics”