Where is our young prince, my lord?

The often renovated, and not infrequently burnt, Prefectoral complex in the capital city of Shirekeep. Charged with the thankless task of civic administration in the most malodorous and ungovernable city ever conceived.

Moderators: (Shireroth) Prefect of Shirekeep, (Shireroth) Steward, (Shireroth) Kaiser

Joseph B. Windsor
Protector of the Monarchy

Where is our young prince, my lord?

Post by Joseph B. Windsor »

"Where is the boy?"

The servant who had opened the front gate was taken aback by the sudden words of the man in front of him. The man didn't look poor, but his bend body and meager face, mixed with a nervous expression, gave him the urge to throw the gate in his face and walk away.

"Come aan, man! Where's the boj?" the man asked again. This time an accent was noticeable in his voice. It was clear that the man was not from around here.

"Boy, sir? What boy?" the servant asked. The City of Shirekeep had more than sufficient boys and girls at their disposal. If the man was here to adopt a boy - or worse - then he was at the wrong address. Li Naomiai had purchased this big fancy townhouse in one of the more prestigious neighborhoods as it was not only close to the Landsraad, but also had little to none of the usual nuisance you could find elsewhere in the City.

The man seemed to get desperate, and the servant was starting to close the gate again. Suddenly another man arrived. This one was in a full formal uniform. The servant had seen sufficient attires in his life, but this one attire not look as it was Shirerithian or Natopian. Perhaps Alexandrian, he thought? But the dark orange colours weren't typical for Alexandrians.

The men stepped forward and immediately saluted. "Apologise my companion, good sir. I'm Captain Alfred Zuurkool and this gentleman, whose excitement has made him more nervous than usual, is Joseph Bartholomeus des Vinandy-Windsor."

"Never heard of him." the servant himself started to become anxious, as the longer the two stood there, the more attention they were getting from passersby.

"I understand, good man. Joseph likes to remain hidden, despite wearing the title of Duke of Davignon and being one of the major potential candidates of the Batavian Crown."

Ah. Batavians. That explained the weird uniforms and lack of decent behavior and common sense.

"We're here for the young prince, David Ayreon-Kalirion. The boy could become a determining factor in establishing lasting peace in Benacia, and perhaps even the world."

Yes. Definitely a crazy people, those farmers from the west.

"Let them in." The voice came from behind the servant. In the hallway stood none less than Li herself, with the young prince on her left side.
Joseph Bartholomeus des Vinandy-Windsor
Voorzitter van de Ultraroyalisten
Lagerhuislid namens de Ultraroyalisten

Joseph B. Windsor

Re: Where is our young prince, my lord?

Joseph was admiring the cozy hall in which they were seated near the open fire. He had calmed down considerably since he had seen the young prince eye to eye. The boy, David was his name, who was sitting in a large seat next to his mother sent a calm affect through the chamber. Still seven years old, but he looked as if he was ready to combat any difficulty right now.

"You are aware that staring at an imperial prince so intensively could be seen as offensive, good Duke?" asked the young boy. A smile appeared on his face.

He clearly was fooling around. Joseph immediately remembered the resume he had gotten about the young lad: born as the cousin of the current Kaiser Ayreon IV and second in line of the Mango Throne. In his earlier years he had lived in Eliria, but had eventually moved to Shirekeep. He didn't see his father a lot, as the marriage between his parents had been purely politically (and the father was rumored to be gay) and the only thing which could keep him tied up to Shireroth was his affection for his younger sister Abigail. He has Elw as a native language, speaks passable Natopian and Præta, but is fluent in Istvanistani. These language skills would certainly come in handy, as he proved to be a fast learner.

The Duke smiled back. "Your Imperial Highness, are you aware about the current situation in Batavia?"

"Yes, yes, I am. Not that politics are really my thing, Lord des Vinandy-Windsor."

"We, the people who want a decent restoration of the monarchy are looking for someone to ascend the Throne of Batavia. I myself am a potential candidate, but have never been a very public figure... I'm not that good with... people. You, however, would be the perfect candidate! You are still young and could unite the masses behind you, your relations with the Mango Throne can lead to fruitful diplomatic ties between our both people and - if we bide our time - ..."

The mother, Li, intervened. "If we bide our time, he could marry with a Jingdaoese princess, to assure that everyone is more or less satisfied. Is it not?"

Joseph nodded. A grimace appeared on captain Zuurkools face. "Seems like the lady has already infiltrated our royal movement before it decently got off the ground, sir Joseph."

The woman was clearly not done, because she proceeded. "And I know for certain that the Jing will not marry a Kalirion. So I would start looking for a partner in Batavia itself. The Gods know that my boy would need all the support he can gather, if he wants to reign and win the hearts of the Batavii."

Li Naomiai
"This is Mango Country"

Post by Li Naomiai »

After the meeting, Lady Li was excited. Not only had the meeting come as a surprise to her – she had only heard of the Duke's intentions the day before, but she saw the importance in it. She had scrambled her household and drilled her son in Batavian topics, art, history, politics, and so on, until the child fell asleep exhausted. And now, after the meeting, there was an eery peace in the house. She refused to ask David what he made of the meeting – if the Batavian wanted him, the kid would be sent to Batavia whether or not the child actually wanted it. It would be good for him, her family, the Kalirion dynasty, and the Kaiser. Rather a Kalirion than a Jing on a Benacian throne.

Although she was hopeful, she also knew of the great uncertainty of the Duke's intentions. Most observers had thought that Batavia was moving in the direction of a republican form of government, not a monarchical one, but now that the Duke of Davignon had actually visited her and her son in person showed that there was great potential for David's future as king.

If the Nationalist–Humanist (or anti-Ayreonist) tendencies became the more stronger in Shireroth – not at all unlikely given the direction of Ayreonism's homelands Elwynn and Natopia – Batavia could prove to be a haven for her son and family, a place where they could escape the worst of Modan's upcoming terrors. She needed the Batavians to select David, but she needed them to think that she was only honoured, not desperate.

She looked forward to the next day's meeting between the Duke, her son and her.
Li Naomiai Avon-El
Ayreon-Kalirion ibn al-Majeed al-Osman bin Sathrati of Waffel-Paine

Princess of Klaasiya, Duchess of Hoffenheim, Marchioness of Sentratera

Regent of the Imperial Republic and Imperial Minister for the Exterior (Shireroth)
Secretary of Legal Affairs in the Court of Noble Fountain (Natopia)

Joseph B. Windsor

It had been a joyful occasion for Joseph. The meeting with the young prince had given him new energy. The forty year old knew that he himself would not inspire anyone, but the boy which he had closely watched the day before, was truly a prodigy. The Batavian had been impressed in how much David had known about his homeland.

With David, he knew that the royalist movement could finally end the Stadhouder's attempts to undermine the monarchy. It would not be easy to convince the Lagerhuis to accept him, but Joseph was certain that their chances were growing. Travel arrangements should be made to bring him to 's Koningenwaarde. Time was of the essence.

But what about his mother? And his beloved sister? Would they move with him? Wouldn't that keep him more attached to Shireroth? Or would it be the other way around? Could Joseph re-educate the five year old in a true Batavian, aiding the future king in strengthening the Batavian monarchy?

Li Naomiai
"This is Mango Country"

Post by Li Naomiai »

When Joseph returned the next day, a morning, Lady Li had ensured that a good brunch would be served with the finest selection of breads, yoghurts, cabbages and other vegetables, teas and coffees from all over Micras, so that surely there would be something for the Duke to indulge in.

As they were eating, David and Joseph chatted a bit more – this time about the agricultural conditions in Transbatavia and how the trek to the Puritanian territories of Batavia could undergo. Li was unable to resist the urge to interfere.

"My lord Duke – perhaps we should discuss, in the event of the Batavian election of David to king of the Batavians – what kind of arrangements we would have, some kind of contract on the matter of the boy and his relations to his birthland. Of course, he would renounce all Shirerithian citizenship in such case, but other details too. Our agreement to an election is dependent on a good contract."

"Our agreement?" interjected David. "If the Batavians want me as king, I will do whatever they say!"

Li tried her best to hide her anger with her son. "No, of course not, darling. This is politics, not some favour to you."

"If I am king, mother, then..."

"How about some more tea, my Lord Duke, while you think of your answer?" she said and poured the duke some more tea.
Li Naomiai Avon-El
Ayreon-Kalirion ibn al-Majeed al-Osman bin Sathrati of Waffel-Paine

Princess of Klaasiya, Duchess of Hoffenheim, Marchioness of Sentratera

Regent of the Imperial Republic and Imperial Minister for the Exterior (Shireroth)
Secretary of Legal Affairs in the Court of Noble Fountain (Natopia)

Joseph B. Windsor

"Thank you, Lady Li." responded Joseph, while carefully looking for his words. "It seems to me that the young man has everything to become a fine constitutional monarch. I would gladly listen to your proposal. What does, according to you and the prince, constitute a 'good contract'?"

Joseph B. Windsor

Suddenly captain Zuurkool marched into the room. He ignored the servants who were shouting to him.

"My Lord, Lady Li, Prince David, I have grave news. It seems that the Democrats and Constitutionalists have been faster than us. They seem to be plotting the overthrow of the monarchy before it is decently restored."

Joseph shook his head. "What? Damn traitors! The Trekkers, true monarchists, gave up land so the Batavians could once more be free. And how do they repay them? By stabbing them in the back!"

The seven year-old prince watched with surprise how the nervous Duke became enraged.

"Lady Li, even with these complications in mind, would you mind if the prince - and perhaps your family moves in with me? It shall strengthen the royalist movement if the young man lives in Batavia. One day our people will rise up against the republic and restore the monarchy, as it should be!"

Return to “Prefect's Keep”