Expedition to Arcness' Reach (and Dragon Treaty)

The library of MANA, containing records of expeditions, blue prints of famous magical fortresses, and various reference works and papers on magic.

Moderator: (Gralus) Lords of Magic

Andreas the Wise

Expedition to Arcness' Reach (and Dragon Treaty)

Post by Andreas the Wise »

We left at the first light of dawn. If it was just me, Sophus could easily have flown me, but with Phoenix, RoRo, Bayen and Sorongath, we would have to go by horse. It was probably better that way ... I doubted that proud creatures like dragons would appreciate one of their Tokidokian cousins bursting his way in. We took the Magna Rail as close to the barrier as we dared, then got the driver to stop. Disembarking, we started riding the horses up the mountain ...

It was easy going to reach Fall, at the foot of the mountain, but after that, we had to go carefully. We rode past Forestheart, the warm, geothermal lake, but as we excited the forest, it was clear the incline was too steep to bring horses up. “Tie them here,” Sorongath suggested. “They can graze here, and we’ll go the rest of the way on foot.” We did just that, tieing their reins to a large tree. As we did, I noticed the forest stopped abruptly, halfway up the mountain ... as did the grass, or, for that matter, any vegetation. If the others noticed the large scratch marks near where we stood, they didn’t comment. I had often wondered why the forest stopped at this level around the whole mountain, and the next two peaks in the Barrier. My suspicions of dragons now seemed confirmed.

The rough, rocky terrain wasn’t too hard to traverse ... for the first kilometre or so, then we began to encounter large, vertical walls. “How are we going to climb this,” RoRo asked. We all looked up ... there was precious little in the way of hand holds, and I, at least, wasn’t that competent a rock climber that I wanted to attempt this with ropes thrown to the top. We were almost at the large bank of steam and smoke that always surrounded the top of Arcness’ Reach ... we couldn’t give up so easily here.
“Bayen, are you familiar with levitation spells,” I asked him.
“Really Andreas,” he replied. “I’ve been casting them months before you.” With a chuckle, he rose straight up and settled at the top. “Want me to take the others up for you?” he taunted.
“I’ll be fine,” I replied. I concentrated for a moment to summon the magic necessary, then I and the others began to rise in the air. Slower than had, but for a young Lord of Magic carrying four people, I thought I’d done pretty well. “This is astonishing,” Sorongath said. “I had no idea you magic users were so useful.”
“We try,” I replied, with a laugh. “And I’ll teach you this tomorrow, if you want,” I assured Phoenix, noting the expression on her face. I turned around to admire the view. You could certainly see a lot from up here. Suddenly the others all looked concerned. “What’s the problem?” I prompted. None of them seemed able to answer. Then I smelt smoke and felt scales slide across my neck.
You, mortal, the dragon answered.

The words chimed in our minds, and I knew, as I turned around, there would be a dragon behind me. Bayen walked up to join me ... we were both more used to dragons than the others. “I bring greetings from King Lachlan the first of Novatainia,” I began.
“And I from King Lyam conDoin of Tokidoki,” Bayen added. The dragon continued to look stern.
These mortal kings mean nothing to us, human, he said, facing me. And you, though you look human, don’t even smell like one, he added, sniffing Bayen. Obviously Bayen being a Skyrin disturbed the dragons.
“I am not,” Bayen said without batting an eyelid, “but that is no reason to doubt these.” The dragon looked unmoved.
“We would be honoured to meet with your leader,” Phoenix said, stepping forward to match the dragon’s stony gaze.
Who are you that I should bring you to our King? he demanded.
“I am Phoenix, High Druid of Land,” she answered.
“I am Baron Bayen Praygulin, also High Druid of Land,” Bayen continued.
Huh, human titles, the dragon said, unconvinced.
“And I am Andreas the Wise, Lord of Magic,” I said.
More human names, the dragon retorted. They mean nothing to us. We know of you, oh Lord, he said, staring me in the eye. You have been Lord less than a week. Your people have been in this land for barely a moon. And you would speak with our King, who has lived for over two thousand moons?
“I may be young,” I retorted, “but my position is old. You may have forgotten, but the land hasn’t. The power within me is as ancient as Novatainia itself ... long before it had that name, long before people came, long before even dragons. The land has always needed a lord. Now it has again found one.”
The dragon looked angry. For a moment, I thought he was going to attack. Sorongath walked forward, his hand on his gun. RoRo, though, ran past us and stopped suddenly, a couple metres up the hill. There was a peal of laughter from the air, and then a dozen dragons appeared, around the first who had met us. They had obviously been invisible, yet listening to our every word.
Why do you reveal yourselves? the first dragon demanded. They were almost going to leave!
I have not heard a human speak so well for decades, the dragon that had laughed said. Even if you would stay here, I say we listen to them.
I say we kill them. Then they will know not to return,
said another dragon, this one red.
No, don’t do that, said the one nearest RoRo. I like them, especially this one. He knew we were here.
You could see us, mortal?
asked another. RoRo nodded grimly. Then it is time, the dragon said.
Time to kill them, said the red one again. Leave their bones to rot – that is what I would do, if King.
The dragons all began arguing, their voices echoing across our minds, when one voice rose above the others.
SILENCE! it called. The dragons parted to reveal a massive, sky blue one, with white flecks on his scales. A small circlet of gold lay on his head. You, thankfully, are not King, the dragon said, nodding at the red one. I am. And I say the mortals have been terrorised enough. Come with me. I will discuss with them. The one who is called lord speaks truly. The other dragons watched us silently as we passed.

We spent the rest of the day discussing a treaty with the dragons. It took a long time, with many arguments from some of the more violent ones, and I had to use all of my political savvy to get it working. But the King’s word was final, and, finally, we had a treaty we could both agree on. While I, Bayen and Sorongath had been discussing, Phoenix and RoRo had gone off with some of the smaller dragons. Catching snatches of their conversations, I realised these were the young ones, and humans clearly fascinated them. RoRo especially continued to amaze them, with his ability to see through their illusions. I and the Dragon King signed the treaty, then I carefully took the Palantir out of my bag and gave it to Sorongath, so he could check with the King about it.
It is good that you came, the King told us, as we prepared to leave. For too long my dragons have remained up here, never entirely sure how to deal with the humans below. The young ones wanted to fly and see the world. This will give them the chance.
"It was my pleasure,” I answered, smiling.
And give greetings to our Tokidokian cousins, he told Bayen. I have heard good reports of your Frumpmaster, he added, naming the Tokidokian Master Dragon Rider.
Phoenix and RoRo came back, and we were ready to descend the cliff. We will fly you to your horses, the dragon who had first laughed offered. But first, we have a gift for you. They brought forth a sparkling rainbow stone, and presented it to RoRo. There was a cracking sound, and a small dragon hatched, glanced at RoRo, and smiled. “This seems as good a time as any,” I said, going over to RoRo. “You have more than proved your worth. I appoint you Master Dragon Rider of Novatainia.” He smiled the whole way as we were flown down to our horses.
TREATY WITH THE DRAGONS OF NOVATAINIA

The following will be abided by by all Novatainian's
No Novatainian shall assault, injure or in any other way bother a dragon.
The mountain beyond Arcness' Reach is declared a Dragon only habitat. Nobody else will enter it, under any circumstances. No elf, no Tokidokian, no Novatainian, no human at all ... be they King or servant, Lord of Magic or simple citizen, mountain climber, dragon symphasiser or disgruntled farmer. Even Tokidokian Dragons can only visit by permission.
The top part of Arcness' Reach, beyond the forest, is also declared Dragon property. However, if invited, mages may go here to meet with the dragons. MANA has been granted the right to set up a small research outpost here, and the office for the Master Dragon Rider. No tourists here either though.

The following will be abided by all Novatainian Dragon's
No Dragon will assault, injure of in any other way harm a human, unless they tread within the forbidden ground.
No Dragon will interfere with the property of humans, especially not any farm animals.

The following will be provided by Novatainia
Unrestricted acess to fish the Bay of Rezack is given to all dragons.
100 jewels of varying size and colour will be given to the dragons.

The following will be provided by the Dragons
500 dragons to serve Novatainia in RecWars.
7 dragon eggs a year for the development of Dragon Riders.

Dragons serve under the following rules:
They remain under the ultimate authority of the Dragon King, not the King of Novatainia.
A score at a time will be based at MANA, the rest will be free to stay among their kin unless called on in war.
Dragons reserve the right to choose which generals they serve under.

FOR NOVATAINIA
Andreas the Wise
Lord of Magic for Novatainia

Signed: xx

FOR DRAGONS
Dragon King (name unpronounceable in our tongue)
Ruler of all Novatainian Dragons

Signed: xx (a large paw print)
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave. But he does deserve a cool war ribbon.
However, this account still manages:
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn - Speaker of Nelaga, Minister of Interior Affairs, and a Micron

Return to “The Great Library”