Dark Microns

The library of MANA, containing records of expeditions, blue prints of famous magical fortresses, and various reference works and papers on magic.

Moderator: (Gralus) Lords of Magic

Andreas the Wise

Dark Microns

Post by Andreas the Wise »

Though I'd prefer if Dark Microns/The Remnant didn't occur in expeditions in the near future, I should copy the major information on them over anyway for when they eventually do.

This is courtesy of Dr William Dusch, famed Micron Researcher.
The conventional wisdom among those few scholars pursuing Micron Studies is that the event known as the Eve of Destruction was complete and total. Afterwards, aside from those holed up in the City of the Sun, no Microns were left alive. And in one sense, the conventional wisdom is correct. Those who remained alive were no longer Microns.

Although the surface of Micras was devasted by the catastrophes, a few groups of Microns remained alive in undersea dome-cities or space stations. If they had worked together to preserve and resurrect their civilization, they might have been able to do so. However, this was not to be. Psychologically scarred by the apocalypse that had stricken their people, and desperate for the few stockpiled food and clothing resources available, most such self-contained colonies collapsed into civil war and dictatorship. These squabbles made it impossible for them to create the united effort they would have needed to become permanently self-sustaining, and one by one, these remaining bright points of Micron civilization went dark. The dome-cities collapsed and were retaken by the sea; the space stations' orbits decayed and they burnt up in re-entry or crashed into the planet.

A few such failed colonies attempted to escape their doom through a twisted imitation of the Micron ritual of transcendence. Although full transcendence required more resources than the colonies had available, dictators and gang leaders were able to marshall just enough resources to perform the ritual on themselves alone. Even so, they were unable to achieve complete transcendence, which required a working hypon system; instead, they only partially left their mortal bodies, becoming a sort of hungry ghost caught in between existences. As the final colonies died, these pitiful beings became the last survivors of the non-Solarian Micron race, and their Solarian brothers gave them the name "The Remnant". Although the Solarians offered to help the Remnant upon their awakening, and even restored a few such beings to embodiment, most of the Remnant had collapsed into full insanity by this point and lacked enough of a coherent personality to be fully restored.

I first came across information about the Remnant while studying personal papers left by Sai'Kar Lum'Eth, the only Micron currently authorized to interact with the human world. The papers suggest a good reason why the story of the Remnant has been hitherto unknown to humans: the Solarians, for reasons of their own, have chosen to hide it. Sai'Kar's personal effects suggest that one of the many missions for which she remains in the human world is to hunt down remaining fragments of the Remnant that might influence humankind, and either reimbody them or destroy them.

References to the possibility of the Remnant interacting with humankind are maddeningly incomplete. However, I cannot help but remember stories of the old Soloralist legend of the "dark Microns", enemies of the Soloralists who survived the Eve of Destruction, nor how a few degenerate sects even took to worshipping them back in olden days. These dark Microns were said to forsake the Solarian goal of helping other sentient life in favor of complete dedication to avenge the Micron Apocalypse. If the "dark Microns" are indeed the Remnant, then perhaps they managed to make contact with humans during certain periods. If so, it is not surprising that Sai'Kar and her superiors are interested in seeing them removed from the equation.

Most of the references to the Remnant I have seen speak of it in the singular, as if only one of them remains, or as if the various "dark Micron" entities act according to a single will. If that is not the case, I have no way of knowing how many dark Microns originally existed, and certainly I do not know if any have survived until the present day.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave. But he does deserve a cool war ribbon.
However, this account still manages:
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn - Speaker of Nelaga, Minister of Interior Affairs, and a Micron

Return to “The Great Library”