Migratory Patterns and Genotypes

The home island and summer abode of the Raikothin. At it's heart lies the volcanic mountain known as Yaanek, famous in antiquity for the peculiar prophetic utterances of the Priests of Joy situated there.

Moderators: (Shireroth) Steward, (Shireroth) Kaiser

Nathan

Re: Migratory Patterns and Genotypes

Post by Nathan »

Fascinating :)

I've got nothing to add about the Natopians' heritage. I tried to base their pre-history on established cultures and this fits in quite well with what I envisioned.
The ghost of Nathan Waffel-Paine

Liam Sinclair

Post by Liam Sinclair »

Might I suggest that any migration of the Atteran peoples be shown to end up in Tapfer, as when that continent was Novasolum, with the collapse of the Atteran Empire, several Atterans became Gotzers when that micronation was located there.

Aryeztur

Post by Aryeztur »

If I could made a suggestion (fill in a blank), the Arya in Aryasht are most probably a divergent branch of the Euran genotype, on the basis of language, culture, and physical features.
The Great King, King of Kings, King of the World

Aryeztur

Post by Aryeztur »

I would need a second race with a Dravidian or even Austroloid admixture to account for some of the Dravidian and browner features of Aryasht.
The Great King, King of Kings, King of the World

Simon B.E.

Post by Simon B.E. »

Aryeztur wrote:If I could made a suggestion (fill in a blank), the Arya in Aryasht are most probably a divergent branch of the Euran genotype, on the basis of language, culture, and physical features.
:mrgreen:

Orion
Full of shi... err.. stars!

Post by Orion »

Given the growing complexity of migratory paths and the inevitable overlapping that is going to occur when taking into account these revisions, I think the best way for me to display these would be to do a series of maps showing "migratory waves".

Using the map Shyriath provided will allow me to employ greater details and display more minutiae.

Scott Alexander

Post by Scott Alexander »

Do you know how to make animated gifs? If not, and you send me a SMALL number of time-lapse maps of the same size, I'll animate them.

ConglacioII

Post by ConglacioII »

Ardashir Shahanshah wrote:I'm not sure but I think this map would then imply that the Dromosker (Skerries) and Kumarans (Kumarastan) have Atra/Atteran (1st wave?) heritage... which puts an interesting complexion on how those two groups are represented as warrior class hirelings in Babkha's ethnographic hierarchy.
Well, were not the Kumarans listed as Swahili speakers at some point? Years ago, I took this to mean they would have been of whatever the Micras equivalent of African was, hence why the first Davood Shahram had a black person as an avatar.

----------

The Atra migration path is quite useful to me...it passes what was Negril (the sort of Jamaican themed part of Northworthy) which is the island on the Aryasht coast...I'm half intending to remake Negril as a stateless people, a diaspora...

probably with something like Rastafarianism...except that Ras Tafari never existed on Micras...but Ras Diga did! A religion based on a very distorted view of Ras Diga? The thought amused me.

Mira Raynora Minor

Post by Mira Raynora Minor »

It's worth pointing out that the Riskaians are not Asiatic; they are a Celto-Norse remnant of the Kingdom of Nidaros (presumably a branch of the Kelto-Slavic group?). The Sangunese on the other hand, almost certainly lie at the end of a migratory pathway given that they are fundamentally distinct from all other Sino-Keltian peoples with the exception of the inhabitants of the former Kyou-Jima.

It should be emphasised that any connection between these two peoples is comparatively recent.
Mira Raynora the Younger
Queen of Leichenberg
Queen of Lichbrook, Duchess of Brookshire

Marchioness and Lichgravine of Lachmodan, Countess of Azarea and Ž

Orion

Post by Orion »

It is amusing to think of Diga as a Rastafarian, especially when he's the absolute polar opposite. :p

And there is undoubtedly a lot of mixing and small, undocumented pathways that exist on the map. It's not a black and white distribution (bad pun), but is a very broad interpretation of generalized migratory groups. But there is a need to make this more chronological in order to show that some migrations were recent while others were at the very beginning of recorded time.

Spraki

Post by Spraki »

Benacian Elwynn Proper (not Amokolia and somewhat standard for East Elwynn) would probably have in major:

1 Treesians, Hyperboreans
2 Elfinshi (from Elpidos via Red Antilles)
3 Babkhi (Ardashirians)
4 Hurmudans
5 Halluci (Kildareans)
6 Stormarkers
7 Ohl'tar? :p
8 Amokolians

East Elwynn has in Illumination been especially more Hyperboreanized than West, more Shirerithianized (even before the duchy status -- Wintergleam was in Goldshire for several years before even being considered part of Elwynn) so it would have a more standard Goldenbrook ethnicity. More.

But I think that as in Shireroth-Elwynn, there must have been a heavy interbreeding throughout history. So ethnic differences are rather marked in cultural practices than by appearance or genotypes in the first hand.
Count Rev Dr Spraki Krumsson Lla'i-Ašura of Azarea
Father of the Kaiseress, Ambassador of the Heavenly Light to the High King of Stormark

Ric from Sweden

Vilhelm Benkern

Post by Vilhelm Benkern »

I stress the importance of the last sentence. I mean, Elvish genocide aside, how much do we say that in the millennia of ASC history, these genotypes would at all be borne out in Micran modern states? I don't think very much, if we try to vaguely stick to the history of the planet and the MCS archives. So many empires and nations come and gone. There was that odd period where the entire GC disappeared and then a much reduced number limped back in, murmuring about 'Giess'...?

I wonder what happened to Matbaic civilisation. I don't think the Alexandrians are interested at all - when the purple gobbled up the slice of Cibola Matbaa had occupied, only the ancient city of Beth Sanaar was left - an unmarked, nameless ruin - on the map.
Vilhelm Benkern DEOMI, Member of the Order of the Dragon, Silver Swan, Red Dragon
Dirigent of Musica, Count of Mar Sara
In Aryasht Prapta Vrteti, former Prince of Aryasht; Zaila Vrteti, Norfolknath
In Elwynn Benjamin Sebasokrator Timothy Quentin Kern, Duke of Raikoth
In Khalypsil Representative of the Wisdom

Mira Raynora Minor

Post by Mira Raynora Minor »

Certain allowances will always have to be made for retcons, I fear. It's far too late in the day to enforce respect for the legacy of all those vanished states and peoples; if you want to "grow" a world organically, you have to decide right from the outset to work with the past rather than just ignore it.
Mira Raynora the Younger
Queen of Leichenberg
Queen of Lichbrook, Duchess of Brookshire

Marchioness and Lichgravine of Lachmodan, Countess of Azarea and Ž

Vilhelm Benkern

Oh, I'm not saying for example that Matbaa must exist, or must have been a different ethnicity/genotype from the Frenchy Alexandrians. But joining up the dots can be a fun activity. I might write an unofficial story, for example, about the Alexandrian conquest of Matbaa. I personally feel like I can't utterly ignore the holders of territory before me. Take Babkha: they have had many dealings with the Anticans. In fact, they have had many dealings with that general geographic location. They once controlled the Terre d'Riches (modern Korhal). They had significant "cultural exchange" with the nation of Mondesia in modern Flanders/Aryasht. They also controlled southern Aryasht in what was in middle history Woodstania (later Chubzamin). Isn't it odd for a Babkhan historian, having seen such a long stretch of time as Shireroth has too, to have so many cultures located in the same space? Makes for good storywriting, and ignoring all of that means you miss the welcome opportunity to write epics about enslaving and clobbering other cultures.
Vilhelm Benkern DEOMI, Member of the Order of the Dragon, Silver Swan, Red Dragon

Elijah Ayreon

Post by Elijah Ayreon »

And that is why I try to honour every part of the Elwynnese legacy. My "expertise" is Elwynn Proper which has had so many weird cultural streams through time, but in Elwynn we've managed to put them all in a storyline. Amokolia should be OK to fix out. Orion, for example, is thinking of writing something about the Machiavellian minority in modern Amokolia.

Hurmu even used Lyrican terminology in its early days. It kept "Lyrica City" as capital until Erik/MCS forced Hurmu to reduce to a small stripe around the lakes (we managed to get the other lakes later). Hurmu then joined Menelmacar to be sure to be protected from influence. The palace in Huyenkula is still called Palace of the Elenaran, reputedly built to honour Elenaran Archetype's first visit. When Menelmacar died, the protectorate was handed to Cranda. Today Kranney is an island off Hurmu (too small for the map) where Crandish communities still speak the language, though moribund. Lontinien is probably one of the oldest parts of Micras. It used to be a nation of its own before being annected to Cranda (before Menelmacar even existed). Later, the culture of Lontinien merged with that of Tartary and the storyline developed: Apollonian Tartars spoke a Mongolic language (not a Turkic) and placenames reflected that. Tartary has since been reduced to the small part of Lontinien by the River Glacei, but it's city still has a Mongolic name: Ghawlama, "the river-mouth".
Elijah Ayreon-Dariolin of Waffle-Paine (no longer with us)

Ric.

Vilhelm Benkern

Fascinating. Thanks for the story, Ric. That's the kind of beautiful blend of real mn and fictional history that makes me interested in the hobby - looking at what came before, to work to some new thing in the future.

Thank goodness for the MCS archives... what a world it was when Hurmu was so big! Shireroth, at probably its largest. See Varja and Attera - I love the look of solid gold/pale yellow on hard dark colours like that. EAH should convert to gold text. :D

Elijah Ayreon

Post by Elijah Ayreon »

Yeah, we had gold text. Craitman unilaterally made it red. :(

Ric.

Elijah Ayreon

Post by Elijah Ayreon »

Aw man, yeah, those were the days! Haha. Irridentism ftw

Ric.

Orion

Post by Orion »

Ah, Puritania and my little province of Northeaston, founded during the President's Day Nor'easter of 2003.

ConglacioII

Post by ConglacioII »

And Wessax! I almost forgot about that bit I had!

Return to “Raikoth”