Elaleukin Kvithion: Five notes on the shelling of Aekophan

The home island and summer abode of the Raikothin. At it's heart lies the volcanic mountain known as Yaanek, famous in antiquity for the peculiar prophetic utterances of the Priests of Joy situated there.

Moderators: (Shireroth) Steward, (Shireroth) Kaiser

Endi Arusion

Elaleukin Kvithion: Five notes on the shelling of Aekophan

Post by Endi Arusion »

In the name of Truth and Beauty, as instantiated in the completed Joy of the Shining Garden, having reached the perfection of attainment in the 4006th year since the Ascension of Kadham: ENDI ARUSION, the Kvithlin Qainion of the perfectly reflected fragment of divinity called Raikoth sends the shadow of a thought of the Shining Garden forth into expression in the worlds below:

I. Results of investigation on inter-ducal exportation of proprietary empathogens

Seven weeks ago, the Angel of Inference granted a petition by the Chisu Atsara Aekophan company in the outskirts of Echo to export pharmaceutical products to Shirekeep. CAA had previously been a supplier primarily to the Raikolin military and associated loyal Elwynnese units.

These products included the empathogenic drug qainaktara, a phenethylamine compound that causes a deep and abiding feeling of love for all living things. By the terms of the Thousand Years' Hate, Raikolin are forbidden to trade any goods across the Elwynnese border with the exception of humanitarian supplies for any West Elw impoverished or risking starvation because of the destructive and ill-advised policies of the Eliria government. Qainaktara was determined not to fall under this exception.

However, these laws are effective only at the Ducal level, and the other four Duchies of Shireroth as well as the Imperial County have much looser restrictions on cross-border trade. Therefore it was understood that allowing export to Shirekeep would no doubt result in resale and export to lands further abroad, inevitably including Eliria and associated rebel territories.

Nevertheless, the Angel decided to allow the export of these drugs, including qainaktara, after assuring Itself that they were of minimal risk. Although their formulation is not public, it would not grant the Elirian government significant advantage to learn the secrets of their manufacture, and the level of theophany afforded by normal doses is small enough that even spiritually unprepared Western Elw should be capable of handling and integrating the resulting divine contact without suffering psychotic breaks.

An internal investigation under Nore Tolrhutin, High Priest of Truth for the Echo-Ketsire Diocese, determined that Chisu Atsara Aekophan acted properly in selling 3.3 kilograms of qainaktara to its partner Amara Pharmaceuticals Shirekeep, and that Amara Pharmaceuticals Shirekeep and its business partners are not obliged to follow Raikothin laws prohibiting export of goods across the Elwynnese border.

II. Condemnation of the Elirian war on drugs

According to statistics gathered by the Vankarha Sui Mek, 481,000 Elw, Amokolians, and Hurmudans are in Elirian prisons, often in inhumane conditions, because they believed they had the right to their own bodies. These people's crimes include not only the use of Raikothin empathogenic and entheogenic drugs as part of peaceful religious and spiritual seeking, but the use of cannabis smuggled in from Batavia and inexpensive pain medication imported from Ashkenatza by invalids unwilling to pay the marked up prices charged by cutthroat Elwynnese suppliers.

News reports taken from the Apollo Fireball V, the Eliria Tribune, and other sources reveal that the policies used to make these arrests are often brutal, including breaking into people's houses without warrants, shooting family dogs that were considered a "threat" by police personnel, and splitting up entire families if a breadwinner is believed to have used psychoactive substances. Entire areas of the Elwynnese border have become no-man's-lands, dotted with barbed-wire fences and Cudgellers, in a vain attempt to restrict the flow of these substances.

Less directly, the war has set back mental health treatment in Elwynn. Psychiatrists complain that they are unable to prescribe effective medications because they have been scheduled by the Elirian government and either banned completely or fenced behind so many restrictions, fees, and bureaucratic hoops that they are unavailable to all but the wealthiest patients. Researchers talk of the government denying them permission to work with chemicals known to be effective against depression and psychosis because of the tiny possibility that they might have abuse potential. As a result, countless Elw live with an unnecessary burden of mental illness that could be effectively treated in more liberal regimes.

A well-educated and well-adjusted population has nothing to fear from freedom, and that includes the freedom to use psychoactive substances. It is only when people are consistently trained to be irrational and make poor choices that they abuse drugs; it is only when their lives are hopeless that they become fixated on a cheap euphoria; it is only when their entire society is a prison that they become escapist. Raikoth has offered countless times throughout history to help improve Elw society to the point where the elites need no longer fear the choices of their own populace. Each time, Elwynn has refused, and chosen to instead try to hide the decrepitude of their entire way of life by violently persecuting the drugs that would help expose it.

Elwynn does not fear the health effects of drugs, or the addictiveness of drugs. Some of its leading citizens drink alcohol, a drug far more dangerous and addictive than anything produced in Raikothin factories. They fear the fault lines in their society being made clear; they fear enlightenment itself. Qainaktara is not a brainwashing drug. It is an empathogen that causes one to feel a deep kinship with the entire universe. Only in a country based on chauvinism and militarism would this be seen as a threat; only when one has strayed very far indeed does spreading love become an act of war.

III. Establishment of six new special Vankarhal Sui Mek posts in border cities.

This incident has put into sharp relief two long-term trends. First, that there is a growing desire in rebel-held Elwynnese territories for safe and effective medications that allow both the treatment of psychiatric disease and the realization of full psychospiritual potential. Second, that the repressive Elwynnese government remains completely deaf to this desire, forcing people to rely on unsafe alternatives or risk prison or execution trying to smuggle safer medications in from Raikoth, Batavia, Shireroth, or elsewhere. This is a human rights issue.

Therefore, the Vankarha Sui Mek is directed to set up six new posts in easily accessible sites along the Elwynnese border; one in South Tielion Loki, one just south of Islus, one in Kingsgate, one in Echo just across the river from Eliria, one in Elesmari, and one in Hyfrost. These sites are to offer free psychoactive medications under the supervision of trained priests to any West Elw who can access them, along with training in their use. They will also offer samples of such medications to those Western Elw who request them, and although of course we cannot condone taking those samples back with them across the border in contravention of any West Elw laws the Vankarha Sui Mek will not be responsible if certain West Elw citizens choose to do so.

The VSM will continue its commitment to not providing any dangerous medications or any substances that provide revelation at a spiritual level greater than its clients are able to integrate and accept.

IV. Borders and free movement of people

The Shining Garden observes with confusion the recent debate among rebel leadership in Eliria about the right for East Elw citizens to be granted West Elw citizenship upon crossing the borders.

It is our understanding that the border is generally free and open from both sides, although we understand it has been closed by the order of Dragonskeep for the duration of the current crisis. It is also our understanding that both sides already have a policy of accepting defections from the other. We are unclear on what change the new legislation entails.

We do, however, notice the rebels' attempt to break the Articles of Peace signed by their wiser ancestors in the days of Ometeotl by claiming the Western Elwynnese territories to which they previously forsook all claim. Remember the words of Tanri Asurion: "Accursed is the oathbreaker, for he is like a frost that saps away all trust and bonds of friendship."

V. On the threatened end to eight hundred years of peace.

In the beginning of the fifth millennium ASC, Ometeotl the Great and the founding fathers of the Elirian rebellion signed a treaty ending fifty years of bloody civil war. At the time, hopes were slim. Eliria was tottering on the edge of total destruction after a terrorist attack by Babkhan-associated terrorist groups destroyed much of their national infrastructure. East Elwynn was shell-shocked and so devastated that the Raikothin military was forced to come in and restore order. The best either side hoped from the treaty was a brief breather to bury the dead, treat the wounds of the living, and offer their children a brief taste of what peace was like before the inevitable continuation of the struggle.

Yet despite the pessimism, the Ometeotl Treaty remained in effect eight hundred years. They have not been years of friendship. Raikoth imposed punitive sanctions on East Elwynn, Duke Alaion instituted a massive military buildup, and West Elwynn, for their part, tried to frame the East for the death of Prince Daniel, nearly precipitating a new war. Yet though they were not years of friendship, they were years of peace. We kept our hatred, but no young people had to die for it; no parents had to suffer the loss of their children. It has remained the guiding principle of Raikoth's foreign policy for eight hundred years that none of them ever will.

And so we have placed sanctions upon you, we have spoken against you in the Kaiser's court, we have given money to those of your religions that please us, we have sent the Vankarha Sui Mek to teach you the kelanth mri that binds us all together, but never once in eight hundred years have turned upon you in violence.

Now those eight hundred years of peace have been broken, and not by our hand. Three citizens of Echo, workers in a Chisu Atsara Aekophan factory, have been killed by Elirian artillery fire. The land screams in terror as their blood sinks into the soil, remembering how many bodies it was once forced to bear long before their proper hour.

We are happy here in the Shining Garden. We do not fear death, but neither do we yearn for it. If we are to die, we would rather die joyous and free among the high icy mountains than by a rusty cudgel in the dust-filled plains of the south. We believe that there are many in Eliria who feel as we do. Maybe some have taken the qainaktara and felt the endless love of the world. Maybe others are not yet ready to leave their families and homes.

Though the Minister of Kinetics is so in love with his own power that he has unilaterally broken eight hundred years of peace without even a by-your-leave to the Elirian Senate, we hope that we have some brothers to the south who have no more desire to see the flowers of our people mowed down like grass than we.

Do not mistake our restraint for weakness. We have tens of thousands of warrior-monks, hundreds of Niphiltiyyin and Star Nebula aircraft, the two unsinkable Ice-Ships, and new machinery of war so terrible the South has never before seen its like. But for now, we have not deployed it. The Duke in Dragonskeep has sounded the call to attack, but for now the Paladins restrain themselves.

I offer to travel alone and unarmed to meet the Elirian leaders at any place of their choosing, to negotiate a solution to this crisis before the dark forces of destruction they have unleashed this day consume us all.

By my hand as the avatar of the egregore of the Shining Garden,
ENDI ARUSION
Last edited by Endi Arusion on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scott Alexander

Re: Elaleukin Kvithion: Five notes on the shelling of Aekoph

Post by Scott Alexander »

And three more notes, speaking out of character:

6. I'm traveling through the East Coast right now for job interviews. My ability to do micronational stuff and check micronational things frequently is limited.

7. I...don't really like the god-modding here. This is kind of what happened with Prince Daniel's assassination. It was kind of worked into the story that the Hyperboreans did something that I didn't authorize and wouldn't have supported. I don't want to be one of those irritating people who takes an event reported in the fake IC news and says "NO THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN YOU'RE LYING" but that doesn't give me much of a choice. I've tried to stick to the story as you guys have cast it, but it's kind of unfair that you can give yourself your own casus belli just by making things up. In the future, maybe talk to me and we can work on something like this together?

8. I'm not OOC against a recwar if everyone else wants one. If negotiations break down I'm happy to let Monty order me to fight and then I'll bring out the Raikothin military. Might not be that active cause of point 5, though.

Kai Jackson

Post by Kai Jackson »

The Ice-Hive can go to hell. I'm thinking about giving them a ride.

Scott Alexander

I have no idea what you're talking about, but I'm picturing a pickup truck full of frozen bees.

Kai Jackson

Post by Kai Jackson »

:geek:

Vilhelm Benkern

Post by Vilhelm Benkern »

OOC: Well done on such a detailed post at this point. I think we could chalk a fair amount of what the Elwynnese say Hyperboreans do/did as propaganda.
Vilhelm Benkern DEOMI, Member of the Order of the Dragon, Silver Swan, Red Dragon
Dirigent of Musica, Count of Mar Sara
In Aryasht Prapta Vrteti, former Prince of Aryasht; Zaila Vrteti, Norfolknath
In Elwynn Benjamin Sebasokrator Timothy Quentin Kern, Duke of Raikoth
In Khalypsil Representative of the Wisdom

Elijah Ayreon

Post by Elijah Ayreon »

(((Very nice :lol:

Oh -- godmodding. It's just as you say in the post. What we say is our idea and you have your idea what happened. The Prince Daniel assassination was framed and it was pretty obvious. You got it. When you then accused Kaspar of it, we took it on. And then we had the Senate hostage crisis. The only godmodding here is the attacks on east Elwynn that destroyed factories. I can try and have us tone down that bit.

I don't mind a recwar. It doesn't have to be all too intensive. It can be prolonged. A winter war. )))
Elijah Ayreon-Dariolin of Waffle-Paine (no longer with us)

Ric.

Emir of Raspur

Post by Emir of Raspur »

(It's only godmodding when the action doesn't afford an opportunity to respond or to determine the level of harm endured by the recipient. Scott and Monty have managed both. The only artillery exchange so far has resulted in 14 dead on ours, 3 dead on theirs. Honours even.)

Scott Alexander

I guess my worry is that you can say "Raikoth is smuggling drugs" when I didn't decide to smuggle drugs. It doesn't bother me, but it would bother me if that progressed to something like "Raikoth just invaded us and nuked Eliria!" or "Raikoth just sponsored a terrorist attack against a preschool!" Of course I can say out of character "Disregard that, I refuse to accept it as a genuine simulation event", or even say in character "I totally deny that and you must be framing us" but it seems contrary to the spirit of simulation to be arguing about the facts of what happened and I don't want to sound like a broken record "No we didn't, no we didn't, no we didn't". I'd rather just agree on stuff like this beforehand.

Elijah Ayreon

Post by Elijah Ayreon »

(You'd only have to agree, I guess, when it directly implicated you. You could have denied any drug smuggling. You could suggest that it was illegal Benacian groups who'd done it, etc. Agreement is necessary when something directly happens. That's how I interpret it anyway.)

Ric.

Elijah Ayreon

Post by Elijah Ayreon »

I wish to address a few things from what Mr Endi Arusion, agent of Raikoth, said yesterday.

He states that almost five hundred thousand union citizens are in Elwynnese prisons, "often in inhumane conditions, because they believed they had the right to their own bodies". He should be aware that there is in Elwynn no criminalization of the possession or use of narcotics, only the unregulated sale and transfer of them. He should also be aware that the figures gathered correspond to the residents in the union committed to hospital care for, while being under the influence of a severe psychiatric disorder, acute need of treatment so to help them through the acute episodes of psychoses or suicidal idolations. Elwynn does not abandon its people when they get sick. Elwynn helps its people get through it. Mr Arusion will be happy to know that issues of mental health is not taboo in Elwynn, as compared to Raikoth where it simply "does not exist", and the open societal climate about it makes it easier to find those in need and help them. There are no inhumane conditions other than can be expected in a hospital regime. I would also stress that the figure Mr Arusion refers to is not only the involuntary commitments, but all admissions to psychiatric wards for the conditions discussed. They are not prisons, they are hospitals. We don't lock up people, we help them.

Mr Arusion further claims that the psychiatry in Elwynn is in a dire state. I resent that. While it is true that psychiatrists are encouraged to proscribe conservative measures of medication, it is because the Elwynnese Psychiatric Association recommends that to the extent possible, patients should avoid medication when effective alternative therapies exist. It may take longer time for the patient, I accept that, but through this programme the relapse rate is much lower. In Elwynn, we treat the causes, not the symptoms. It may be hard for Mr Arusion to understand this when he comes from a setting where everyone can be drugged to "happiness", to "love" and conformism to the Raikoth norms and mores.

While I do not doubt that Mr Arusion had heard the reports he retells in his statement, he should be aware that, in Elwynn, a society with little restriction in the rights of association, speech and conscience, it is absolutely no surprise that dissident voices are heard. How many dissident voices can you hear from Raikoth? Anyone? The quieter a society is about its way, the more it hides.

And may I lastly say, that if the people of Raikoth have hated Elwynn for eight hundred years, then the drug referenced by Mr Arusion, the qainaktara, clearly doesn't work in ensuring the user "a deep and abiding feeling of love for all living things". He doesn't for a second consider that there is something strange or sick in having an eight-hundred year hate going. Clearly, freedom for the people of east Elwynn is a necessity. Freedom from authority. Freedom from hate. Freedom from authority-mandated hate. Freedom for all.

Ric.

Kai Jackson

Post by Kai Jackson »

At what price?

Monty

Post by Monty »

Fuck off Elirian Cliques. East Elwynn shall bathe in your blood should you cross the border.

OOC: This thread is rather in depth.
Lord Montague

Balarak Alaiaon, Duke of Elwynn, Unifier of the Severed Duchy, Sequestrer of Disharmony

Also operating as Jean Carmichael, Duke of Evreaux, Speaker of the Imperial Assembly.
Oh and Eli Naveh too, Chief of the Ashkenatzan Naval Staff.

In Battle; Unbeatable. In Victory; Unbearable.

Jonas
Lord of the Fries

Post by Jonas »

Monty wrote:Fuck off Elirian Cliques. East Elwynn shall bathe in your blood should you cross the border.
Hup Lord Duke! Hup! :madviking: :madviking:
Important characters:
Frederik Alfons des Vinandy-Paravel, King of Batavia
Joseph Bartholomeus des Vinandy-Windsor, Prince-Regent of Batavia
Jin San, Diwang of Jingdao, Duke of Kildare

Aster

Post by Aster »

I'm sorry - I really want to read this and appreciate this, I really do - but the level of detail in regards to the older cultures of Benacia I really find stifling. Can someone just explain to me what the thousand year hate, and the Raikothans are? And don't suggest going to the micraswiki because that barely touches on any of this. I want to embed the reporting from the RoA's newflash thread in the regional historical and cultural context, but I just don't know how. Some sort of general 'back to basics' thread explaining what the devil all this stuff is would be helpful not just to me, but I think for quite a few of the newer people in the sector who aren't so clued up on all this stuff

Elijah Ayreon

Post by Elijah Ayreon »

Raikoth is the native name of Hyperborea. The thousand-year hate is a religious dogma the people of Raikoth have against the free Elwynnese. The religion mandates that the people of Raikoth must hate the Elwynnese who got freedom for a thousand years before forgiveness can be contemplated.

Ric.

Scott Alexander

I'm sorry - I really want to read this and appreciate this, I really do - but the level of detail in regards to the older cultures of Benacia I really find stifling. Can someone just explain to me what the thousand year hate, and the Raikothans are?
Endi Arusion is one of my characters. I'll try to explain piece by piece. You may be able to fill in some of the gaps with the Index of Information About Raikoth/Hyperborea
In the name of Truth and Beauty...
Religious reference. Truth and Beauty hold a semi-divine status in Raikoth. For more, see the Doctrine of Truth and Beauty. Raikoth an island in the Duchy of Elwynn in Shireroth also called Hyperborea; it has significant political autonomy and a large amount of influence within the Duchy.
... as instantiated in the completed Joy of the Shining Garden...
The Shining Garden is the government system of Raikoth, a sort of extremely well-organized and mathematized anarchist commune that also has some seemingly totalitarian aspects. See Enlightened stigmergy and the decentralized state
...having reached the perfection of attainment...
The Raikolin claim their entire country has achieved literal enlightenment as a single macro-organism. This gets developed in the thread Events of the Thousand Year Hate.
...in the 4006th year since the Ascension of Kadham...
Although Shireroth dates time from the founding of Audentior about 5000 days ago IRL, Raikoth dates time from its own founding by micronationalist Adam Stone (in the conlang: Kadham Ragum) more like 4500 years ago. This is a date on a calendar similar to ASC.
ENDI ARUSION, the Kvithlin Qainion of the perfectly reflected fragment of divinity called Raikoth sends the shadow of a thought of the Shining Garden forth into expression in the worlds below:
Endi Arusion is the High Priest of Joy, a sort of figurehead for the commune. This is a decree he's issuing.
Seven weeks ago, the Angel of Inference granted a petition by the Chisu Atsara Aekophan company in the outskirts of Echo to export pharmaceutical products to Shirekeep. CAA had previously been a supplier primarily to the Raikolin military and associated loyal Elwynnese units.
The Angel of Inference is one of the computer systems that runs the Raikothin government/commune. You can find more about it in Enlightened stigmergy and the decentralized state.
These products included the empathogenic drug qainaktara, a phenethylamine compound that causes a deep and abiding feeling of love for all living things. By the terms of the Thousand Years' Hate, Raikolin are forbidden to trade any goods across the Elwynnese border with the exception of humanitarian supplies for any West Elw impoverished or risking starvation because of the destructive and ill-advised policies of the Eliria government. Qainaktara was determined not to fall under this exception.
I disagree with Elijah's interpretation of the Thousand Years' Hate. It's not a literal hatred so much as it is a sort of criminal sentencing of an entire country. Raikoth decided that in exchange for independent Elwynn's treason, instead of just having vaguely bad relations forever, they would "sentence" them to a certain period of bad relations and then consider them completely forgiven. That period was a thousand years (= a thousand ASC days from their rebellion; this ends next May or so). In the meantime, we have trade sanctions against them and try to bring them down from the inside whenever the opportunity comes up.
Nevertheless, the Angel decided to allow the export of these drugs, including qainaktara, after assuring Itself that they were of minimal risk. Although their formulation is not public, it would not grant the Elirian government significant advantage to learn the secrets of their manufacture, and the level of theophany afforded by normal doses is small enough that even spiritually unprepared Western Elw should be capable of handling and integrating the resulting divine contact without suffering psychotic breaks.
Raikoth uses psychoactive drugs to try to elevate the consciousness of their citizens. They (and I) promote this as a workaround to the fact that humans aren't good enough to live in a utopian commune; education and chemicals are used to make them good enough, with their cooperation because they are striving to be better people (see the thread: Re-Education for more). These tend to be chemicals sort of like Ecstasy which fill people with love and make them want to help others. Their enemies, including the Elw as represented by Ric, portray this as brainwashing and keeping the citizens drugged.
Therefore, the Vankarha Sui Mek is directed to set up six new posts in easily accessible sites along the Elwynnese border; one in South Tielion Loki, one just south of Islus, one in Kingsgate, one in Echo just across the river from Eliria, one in Elesmari, and one in Hyfrost.
The Vankarha Sui Mek is the missionary arm of the Raikothin government/religion, trying to convert the rest of the world to Raikothin ways. It's unclear exactly how legal they are within Elwynn; it can't really ban them because of their commitment to freedom of religion, but they also seem to be an arm of a hostile state. Because of their religious work these would be the people who would be most likely to help get some of these drugs to foreigners.
We do, however, notice the rebels' attempt to break the Articles of Peace signed by their wiser ancestors in the days of Ometeotl by claiming the Western Elwynnese territories to which they previously forsook all claim. Remember the words of Tanri Asurion: "Accursed is the oathbreaker, for he is like a frost that saps away all trust and bonds of friendship."
Back when independent Elwynn first rebelled, Kaiser Ometeotl and the rebels signed a peace treaty after a while splitting our lands the way they are split today. Elwynn just passed a law purporting to reject that split, which essentially breaks the treaty.
Though the Minister of Kinetics is so in love with his own power that he has unilaterally broken eight hundred years of peace without even a by-your-leave to the Elirian Senate, we hope that we have some brothers to the south who have no more desire to see the flowers of our people mowed down like grass than we.
Ardashir just artillery-shelled us, an act of war contrary to Ometeotl's treaty. We don't like that.

So BASICALLY, the Raikolin (a powerful sub-group within Shirerithian Elwynn) and the independent rebel Elw really don't like each other. The Raikolin use mind-altering drugs as part of their religious-political system and the Elw don't. The Elw government just accused the Raikolin of smuggling these drugs into Elwynn as a hostile act. The Raikolin say the drugs naturally permeated across the border, and the Elw are being oppressive for not allowing them anyway. The Elw didn't like this and have launched punitive artillery attacks on East Elwynn. The Raikolin are telling them to stop because it could precipitate a disastrous war.

Monty

Post by Monty »

The way I see it in my feudalised Elwynn under Balarak Alaion is that the Raikolin are essentially the priestly group and that their religion is considered official within the East Elwynn. Then again, Alaion worships Lady Elwynn
Lord Montague

Balarak Alaiaon, Duke of Elwynn, Unifier of the Severed Duchy, Sequestrer of Disharmony

Also operating as Jean Carmichael, Duke of Evreaux, Speaker of the Imperial Assembly.
Oh and Eli Naveh too, Chief of the Ashkenatzan Naval Staff.

In Battle; Unbeatable. In Victory; Unbearable.

Emir of Raspur

Post by Emir of Raspur »

And who will rid him of these (un)turbulent priests?

Elijah Ayreon

Post by Elijah Ayreon »

We shall!

Ric.

Return to “Raikoth”