On Cibola

Once the People's Republic of Mar Sara, settled by the fabled Starsearchers, Mar Sara was long one of Shireroth's farthest-flung colonies before now finding its way into the Bovic Empire.

Moderators: (Natopia) Emperor, (Natopia) Chancellor

Vilhelm Benkern

On Cibola

Post by Vilhelm Benkern »

Imperial consideration of the Jingdao & South Batavian situation is paramount for our island. The very life of the people of Mar Sara is at stake. Over the last century we have grown increasingly dependent on Alexandria as a trading partner since Nelaga has dried up. It is well known that the people of Mar Sara, whose symbol is the cog, are the best designers of tools and complex machines on Micras. In the old days this meant significant government and JASO contracts with the isles to the north. With Alexandria's regional dominance waxing and Nelaga's sun setting, the ever-adpatable artificers of Augustgrad have been forced to reimagine themselves as not industrio-magical machinists and engineers but designers of luxury products. Below I reproduce a page from J.R. Juh'hit's Recent Trends in Saran Art, 5th ed. 4859 ASC (University of Mar Sara Press).

This wonderful clock is an example of work the western Alexandrians request. It was commissioned in 4730 ASC by the hereditary Mayor of Lancôme, whose wife had become obsessed with Shirerithian history and culture and demanded the city's Hôtel de Ville be decorated in all manner of artifacts pertaining to it. An Apollonian Guard stands vigilant and watchful over the clock, which is doubly protected by the Squid-God of Time, Sakat, whose symbol is affixed above the face. Still above Sakat's symbol is an Imperial Eagle. The clock was made during the time of Wythe I and about a decade before its creation, the Crown Geneaologist had established the Line of Wythe as a full imperial bloodline within Raynor; as such, a scene of great contemporary note was chosen as the base of the clock - we see Raynor wooing Ithistra. Other gilt gods appear around the clock, most noteworthy again is Sakat lurking in the depths of this magnificent item of craftsmanship, which is a marriage of Shirerithian culture, Mar Saran ingenuity and skill, and Alexandrian style and taste.
Growth is vital to maintaining Mar Sara's success and the standard of living of its people, especially given the problems of extreme poverty faced by some in the north. Ceremonial arms production has grown somewhat because of the popularity of the killet among mainland Shirerithian moneyed classes, but no progress has been made in trying to 'crack the skull' of Stormark and gain access to the vast opportunities of providing weapons to viking warriors. As such it is vital that the rise of Jingao & Southbatavia is marked well by the MiniTrade and MiniEx: a new trading partner is exactly what our markets need to make the reunified Mar Sara a southern trading hub and mass exporter of services and goods.
Vilhelm Benkern DEOMI, Member of the Order of the Dragon, Silver Swan, Red Dragon
Dirigent of Musica, Count of Mar Sara
In Aryasht Prapta Vrteti, former Prince of Aryasht; Zaila Vrteti, Norfolknath
In Elwynn Benjamin Sebasokrator Timothy Quentin Kern, Duke of Raikoth
In Khalypsil Representative of the Wisdom

Mira Raynora Major
Bathtub Philosopher

Re: On Cibola

Post by Mira Raynora Major »

Your arguments are noted, Count...but Mar Sara's precarious location is all the more reason for treading cautiously. Were Shireroth to openly take sides and find itself emroiled in a war with the Raspur Pact, Mar Sara would stand to suffer even more.

I do feel that the issue requires much greater consideration...and debate...than it has hitherto received.
Mira Raynora the Elder
Queen of Lichbrook, Duchess of Brookshire
Lichgravine of Overdolor, Countess of Caverden and Woodshire
Cedrist Demi-Goddess of Undead and Regional Autonomy

Vilhelm Benkern

Re: On Cibola

Post by Vilhelm Benkern »

*Bows*

Thank you for your consideration, Niftiness. We are a small county, but, as my predecessors have shown, eager and able to serve Shireroth. As the leader of the Saran nobility, I speak for them: they want to lead the poor and ill-educated out of darkness, but this takes money. Money we are eager to earn ourselves, and pay tax on. I understand wider foreign and trade policy considerations may override Mar Sara's interests, but I just make a plea that the Imperial government does not make our job any harder without good reason.
Vilhelm Benkern DEOMI, Member of the Order of the Dragon, Silver Swan, Red Dragon
Dirigent of Musica, Count of Mar Sara
In Aryasht Prapta Vrteti, former Prince of Aryasht; Zaila Vrteti, Norfolknath
In Elwynn Benjamin Sebasokrator Timothy Quentin Kern, Duke of Raikoth
In Khalypsil Representative of the Wisdom

Return to “Mar Sara”