Triumphant Return

Once annexing, now annexed.

Moderators: Isabella Kalirion, (Shireroth) Steward, (Shireroth) Kaiser, (Shireroth) Duke of Goldshire

Boris Ivanovich

Triumphant Return

Post by Boris Ivanovich »

Boris wiped the sweat from his brow once more and replaced the hood keeping the sun off his face.

"Kale, why does it have to be so hot?" he groused.

The giant man at his side continued gazing around the quiet street. "Sir, it's summer, and the Isle of Yardistan sits more or less directly on the equator of Micras. Besides, with all the prosthetics, quite a lot of your body doesn't have skin or pores."

Boris frowned again. "I get that. Perfectly logical. But why does it have to be so hot?"

Kale smiled briefly. "Because it's Yardistan. You're not supposed to feel comfortable."

Hunching under his cloak, Boris made a beeline for a nearby pub. "That's more the answer I was expecting. Let's get something alcoholic somewhere air-conditioned."

The bartender, an amiable working-class fellow named Toby, promptly served them both a refreshing Yardistani Ale. Boris pushed back the hood from his head, ran his metal hand through his hair, and sighed luxuriously. "Ah, civilization. Kale, when was the last time we stayed somewhere with AC?"

The bar chair could barely hold Kale's massive bulk. The Chelkran rolled his muscular shoulders and pulled out his cell phone. "Probably your lab in Chelkra. Which was quite many years ago," he responded distractedly.

Boris took a gulp of ale. "What's the news of the day, chum?"

"Your citizenship request was approved a few days ago," Kale said. "Also, you're still listed as Field Marshal of Yardistan."

The bartender gave Kale an incredulous glance, and Boris nearly choked on a bar pretzel. "What? Why?"

Kale shrugged eloquently. "Maybe you never stopped being, even after emigrating. Though it could be you were reinstated when you returned. I don't rightly know."

Boris drained the rest of his glass and stood, leaving a tip for Toby. "It's a good thing we're already in Novi Nigrad. We have things to do!" He put up his hood and headed for the door, striding with purpose. "I need to meet my administrative staff, officers, review the troops... Kale, I'll need a report on Yardistan's military arrangement and regimental structure by the time we get there."

The giant man hailed a cab. "You know I'm good at logistics, but that might be a challenge, even for me."
OOC: I may need an assist on this matter. Who knows things about the Yardistani military? :herman:
Boris Ivanovich Serov, Field Marshal of the County of Yardistan, Goldshire, Shireroth
Formerly Prodigy Almighty, Kagan conToketi VI and Executor of Chelkran-Kesh

Boris Ivanovich

Re: Triumphant Return

Boris read over the stack of papers Kale had handed to him in a manila folder. The huge Chelkran squeezed into the taxi next to him, barely able to close the door. The cab pulled away from the curb, listing slightly to one side.

"This is... a lot," Boris mused as he flipped aimlessly through a few pages. "Yardistan isn't very big, at least not anymore. What is all of this?"

"The Yardistani military has a long, if not always well-documented, history," Kale told him, scribbling on a clipboard. "There is much to know about it. The Marine Corps was formally organized in 3661 ASC, and existed long before that."

Boris frowned at him. "These are technical documents for the entirety of Yardistan's military history?"

"Its organization, yes," Kale shrugged. "It's worth noting that as Field Marshal, you will be responsible only for ground and marine forces, not the navy. There's an Admiral for that."

"So I can ignore about half of these?" Boris asked hopefully.

One corner of Kale's mouth tilted down. "Technically, you won't be in charge of the Navy. But you should still know about it."

Boris tossed half the papers onto Kale's lap. "Not much time, I'll get to those later. I have some reading to do before we arrive at HQ."
Boris Ivanovich Serov, Field Marshal of the County of Yardistan, Goldshire, Shireroth

Boris Ivanovich

Re: Triumphant Return

Kale stepped out of the cab first while Boris paid the driver. The huge man stood in the center of the driving lane that lead to the gated entrance of the Marine Corps Headquarters.

Boris' black cloak bellowed dramatically as he strode to the guard post, pulling back his hood as he did so. The gate guard, a pudgy man about of about 40 years unused to actually opening the gate much, sat up in his chair as they approached on foot.

"Who're you? What's your business?" he asked gruffly of the strangers.

The shorter, stern looking man stopped smartly and stared him in the eye. "My name is Boris Ivanovich Serov, and it seems I am Field Marshal of the County Yardistan," he announced himself.

The guard paled a bit and swallowed, looking over at Kale, who nearly matched the guard building for height. "Aye, one moment, sir," he muttered, and went to his computer terminal. The stranger looked slightly younger and lacked a beard in his staff photo, but he was on record.

"Apologies, sir, I didn't know," he said, nearly prostrating himself in his chair. "You're welcome in." The gated buzzed and slowly slid open.

"Thank you. Call ahead to announce my arrival to the Headquarters Adjutant," Boris instructed him curtly, and started through the gate.

He was met outside the main entrance, posted with two bored-looking MPs. The adjutant, a youngish man with the thin look of an administrative busybody, opened the door for him. "Field Marshal, we did not expect your visit! Welcome."

Boris shrugged as he entered the squat building. "I don't remember the phone number. Otherwise I would have called ahead." He gestured to the giant man behind him, who ducked under the door frame. "This is Kale Todestag of Chelkra, my personal assistant and trusted advisor."

The adjutant almost offered his hand to Kale, but thought better of it. "A pleasure, sir. Uh, if I may ask..."

"My absence, yes," Boris offered as they stopped in the foyer. "Regretable, but the collapse of one's homeland is often sudden and time consuming. I apologize, and hope to make amends with my return. If you would please, where is the war room?"

"Down this corridor, at the center of the building," the reedy admin piped.

"Excellent. Summon the senior officers at once, I must know where we stand with our manpower and organization," Boris ordered, and the adjutant saluted before striding off in a hurry.

Kale lead the way to the war room, a sparsely decorated round chamber with a huge oblong table in the middle. The flags of the Yardistani Marine Corps, the Yardistani Annexation Corps, the County of Yardistan, and the Duchy of Goldshire rested in stands along one wall, opposite a grandiose mural of Sir Francis Bitter leading his Marines in the capture of the dread pirate Angus Redbeard some two thousand years prior.

Boris surveyed the scene, then turned his attention to the banners. "The YAC? Do they even exist anymore? I didn't see anything about them in the docs you handed me."

"Not for a long time, but the spirit of their service informs all branches of the Yardistani militia forces," Kale answered as he unpacked the communique pouch of documents.

The marshal grimaced. "Oh dear. This is going to take some getting used to." The doors to the chamber opened, and officers in dress uniform entered the room.

Return to “County of Yardistan”