Nightfall begins the start!

Moderators: (Shireroth) Steward, (Shireroth) Kaiser

Kaiser Trantor IV

Nightfall begins the start!

Post by Kaiser Trantor IV »

Just to let you know I've restarted work on the new Charter, and should have it up sometime tonight/early tomorrow morning EST.
Trantor IV (Spencer Jackson)
Kaiser of Shireroth
Played by Carl

Ryabin Merkayastreb

Re: Nightfall begins the start!

Post by Ryabin Merkayastreb »

Are you dumping it straight into the Landsraad or letting us have a sneak peek first?
Ryabin Merkayastreb
- Son of Krasniy, Father of Stellus
- From 5222-5461 ASC, Duke of Goldshire
- From 5323-5416 ASC, Kaiser Mo'll I

Kaiser Trantor IV

The latter.

I'm basing it on the Mango Carta and the constitution of the German Empire.
Kaiser of Shireroth
Played by Carl

Ryabin Merkayastreb

Intriguing, I'll look forward to it.
Ryabin Merkayastreb

Vilhelm Benkern

Post by Vilhelm Benkern »

I'm somewhat lacking in full computer access atm, but I keeping an eye on this. You'll find me less loquacious, but
Vilhelm Benkern DEOMI, Member of the Order of the Dragon, Silver Swan, Red Dragon
Dirigent of Musica, Count of Mar Sara
In Aryasht Prapta Vrteti, former Prince of Aryasht; Zaila Vrteti, Norfolknath
In Elwynn Benjamin Sebasokrator Timothy Quentin Kern, Duke of Raikoth
In Khalypsil Representative of the Wisdom

Vilhelm Benkern

... I look forward to your first draft.
Vilhelm Benkern DEOMI, Member of the Order of the Dragon, Silver Swan, Red Dragon

Kaiser Trantor IV

Sorry. D:

My computer loves to restart in the middle of the night, and I lose my draft when it dies. ;-;
Kaiser of Shireroth
Played by Carl

Lyssansa Rossheim

Post by Lyssansa Rossheim »

Having lost work for similar reasons, I do sympathise. However, I do feel compelled to ask whether this is really the best use of your time, Carl.

Yes, the current Charter has its issues and I recognise that many Shirerithians feel that the central government is too weak; I don't share those opinions and feel that any weakness has more to do with a lack of initiative and positive direction than any systemic failings, yet I do accept that there is a perceived problem. But is it necessary to completely rewrite the Charter? Unlike previous versions, this Charter gives every Shirerithian the opportunity to propose amendments in the Landsraad; it is inherently flexible and can easily be adapted without starting from scratch yet again.

I still don't know what your draft entails, Carl, but once again, what little light you have shed upon it does not fill me with confidence. You say that you are basing your proposal on "the Mango Carta and the constitution of the German Empire"; need I point out that the latter lasted less than fifty years before collapsing, in no small measure due to the capricious policies of its final Kaiser, whilst the Mango Carta was fundamentally flawed- the current Charter was implemented in no small measure because it was recognised that the supposed constitutional protections contained in the Carta were illusory.

Shireroth is not in bad shape at the moment, especially in comparison with other micronations. Cultural activity is strong, long overdue moves to revise the lawbook are finally yielding fruit, old citizens are returning and we've even attracted a couple of new ones. Things are working. With this in mind, I would strongly argue that what Shireroth needs right now is unifying leadership, not yet another potentially divisive constitutional wrangle. I'm hearing a number of voices lamenting the lack of a strong Kaiser and/or central government, but I'm not hearing much debate regarding what a strong Kaiser and/or central government would actually do with that authority...and that does concern me.

So...as your adviser, Carl, I'm advising you to stop closeting yourself away drafting your dream Charter and start thinking up ways to rally the country under your rule. The idea of holding some sort of acclamation ceremony/durbar for a new Kaiser has been put forward and a lot of people seem to like the idea...but once again, nothing has been done and if we wait much longer, the opportunity will have passed for another reign. If the Imperial Government wants to be taken seriously, then it needs to stop trying to grab back power and start reminding the states why it is not merely necessary to them, but even desirable.
Lyssansa
Queen of Minarboria
Queen of Lichbrook, Duchess of Brookshire

Princess and Lichgravine of Lywind, Baroness of Solecism

Kaiser Trantor IV

The problem is that the current Charter so weakens the Imperial Government that no-one pays any respect, or even has the common courtesy to give it the time of day. :(
Lyssansa Rossheim wrote:The idea of holding some sort of acclamation ceremony/durbar for a new Kaiser has been put forward and a lot of people seem to like the idea...
Where? :o This is the first time I've heard anything of the sort.
Kaiser of Shireroth
Played by Carl

Lyssansa Rossheim

Kaiser Trantor IV wrote:The problem is that the current Charter so weakens the Imperial Government that no-one pays any respect, or even has the common courtesy to give it the time of day. :(
I fundamentally and completely disagree. The only Imperial State to have really challenged the central government in recent months is Kildare- and initially at least, the other Imperial States agreed that the Kildarians had gone too far.

As I see it, the real trouble is that the Imperial Government is demanding respect instead of trying to earn it; the more a Kaiser tries to impose his will upon the states, the more resentful they will become. A Good Kaiser is subtle and tries to build support...and you don't do that by threatening the liberties of those states who are inclined to support you! If in doubt...ask first. That's what the IAC is for.

I would also suggest that most Shirerithians, from the head of an Imperial state down to the lowliest citizen, probably want something that it might possibly be in the Kaiser's power to grant (or at least facilitate).
Lyssansa Rossheim wrote:The idea of holding some sort of acclamation ceremony/durbar for a new Kaiser has been put forward and a lot of people seem to like the idea...
Where? :o This is the first time I've heard anything of the sort.
http://bastionunion.org/forum/viewtopic ... 048#p92048

Here's the latest version of the idea: a new Kaiser formally opens the Landsraad and an epithet is chosen for the outgoing one. That's an opportunity for a real showcase event...with lots of ceremonial. A skilled Kaiser would also use the occasion to court support and sound out the country on various potential policies.

We've done dry, constitutional debate...we always seem to be doing it. Let's try something else, that brings people together in a safe, fun way. If a Kaiser can prove zir ability to wield what authority he has, people like me would be much more inclined to support his attempts to gather greater power. ;)
Lyssansa
Queen of Minarboria

Vilhelm Benkern

My advice is to listen to the advice of that other advisor, your niftiness, which you appear to be doing, so hurrah! :angel:

Lyssansa Rossheim

On a slightly different matter...what's the issue with His Grace of Goldshire? I don't really follow events during the weekend, but am I correct in thinking that the Assayers have beaten him up?
Lyssansa
Queen of Minarboria

Tokaray al-Osman

Post by Tokaray al-Osman »

It is a somewhat sadomasochistic mechanism whereby the otherwise highly-estimable Duke of Goldshire has externalised his feelings concerning the perceived rebuke received from the Kaiser concerning the - otherwise excellent - new set of bank-notes, which appears to have been taken as an insult on account of the abruptness of the Kaiser's original comments.

As we should all appreciate from our protracted exposure to this ridiculous hobby, the human ego is a fragile thing and I would suggest that considering the effort he evidently did put in, the aforesaid Duke's feelings of resentment towards the Throne are not entirely misplaced.

I would once more appeal to the Kaiser to refrain from making off the cuff remarks concerning the entirely voluntary contributions of his subjects...
His Imperial Magnificence Aurangzeb II Steffki, Kaiser of the Imperial Republic of Shireroth, Thane of the Shirelands, Keeper of the Apollo Legacy, Wielder of the Sword of Vengeance, Grand Master of the Orders of the Dragon, Griffin, Phoenix, and Chimera, Sovereign of the Golden Mango Throne.
Dr Tokaray al-Osman KBH, Commissioner of the Chamber of the Crypteia, Emir of Jadid Khaz Modan, Annexer of Yardistan

Orion
Full of shi... err.. stars!

Post by Orion »

Or we can start a new tradition of penance known as "Cudgel the Kaiser". :twisted:

Ryabin Merkayastreb

Tokaray al-Osman wrote:It is a somewhat sadomasochistic mechanism whereby the otherwise highly-estimable Duke of Goldshire has externalised his feelings concerning the perceived rebuke received from the Kaiser concerning the - otherwise excellent - new set of bank-notes, which appears to have been taken as an insult on account of the abruptness of the Kaiser's original comments.

As we should all appreciate from our protracted exposure to this ridiculous hobby, the human ego is a fragile thing and I would suggest that considering the effort he evidently did put in, the aforesaid Duke's feelings of resentment towards the Throne are not entirely misplaced.

I would once more appeal to the Kaiser to refrain from making off the cuff remarks concerning the entirely voluntary contributions of his subjects...
I concur in full with this account of my situation.
Ryabin Merkayastreb

Return to “Shirithian Archives”