Conference on the Future of Norfolk

Moderators: Franklin Ross, [Jingdao] Guanchang

Vilhelm Benkern

Conference on the Future of Norfolk

Post by Vilhelm Benkern »

Delegates from the Imperial Government, the Imperial State of Aryasht, the Thanedom of Schlangen and the Dutchy of Kildare have all been invited to discuss the future of Norfolk. The invitations have been sent out at the expense of the Norfolknath or Lord of Aryashti Norfolk, and he is hosting the conference at his Summer Villa, situated in the picturesque hills five miles north-east of the regional capital of Traisoss.

Honoured and most excellent delegates, my warmest welcome to you all. It is my sincere hope that you attend this conference with the same spirit with which it was planned and designed, that is, an honest and peace-loving one which seeks to see the prosperity and glory of Norfolk raised to the heights it once enjoyed.

Norfolk, which the Arya call Nirdasyu or the place free from thieves, was once home to the capital of Micras. Those days are long past. A succession of absentee or evil lords brought about centuries of piracy, which were only brought to an end recently, with great effort from the Shirerithian, Antican and then Aryashti governments. There is still much work to do if commerce is to be returned to its historically great levels, now we face other coastal settlements such as Batavian St. Anna and Tyrenia which draw away trade.

I stand as the only lord capable of governing these islands. There has been no Kildari Count for many years, and the people of the west yearn for the benefits of strong leadership as their eastern counterparts enjoy. I foresee a strong, plentiful and culturally vibrant united Norfolk, the place where the best of Arya and Shirerithian and Kildari culture intermingle and merge to produce a uniquely enlightened land. A place where the gods of Shireroth and the philosophy of ancient Aryasht blend in harmony. I therefore invite the Dutch to confirm me as Count of Norfolk, and allow my masterplan for the future of Norfolk to unfold:

I propose:
-The full administrative reunification of the two Norfolks - Administrative and jurisdictional responsibility has been shared between Aryasht and Kildare and I propose no artificial line between the two halves of this polity which have been sundered apart by international politicking for the future.
-The relegation of Tymaria City, the museum city, from capital to normal city enjoying those rights and no others.
-The construction of a new capital city, called Augesbury or Nirvāta, meaning 'the town at the eye of the storm', representing Norfolk's unique position between two cultures and my intention to eradicate piracy forever.

Thank for your listening, and I hope you look favourably on these proposals.
Vilhelm Benkern DEOMI, Member of the Order of the Dragon, Silver Swan, Red Dragon
Dirigent of Musica, Count of Mar Sara
In Aryasht Prapta Vrteti, former Prince of Aryasht; Zaila Vrteti, Norfolknath
In Elwynn Benjamin Sebasokrator Timothy Quentin Kern, Duke of Raikoth
In Khalypsil Representative of the Wisdom

Aryeztur

Re: Conference on the Future of Norfolk

Post by Aryeztur »

Hear! Hear!
The Great King, King of Kings, King of the World

Orion
Full of shi... err.. stars!

Post by Orion »

As Prince of Aryasht you have my consent to pursue that which you have stated as your objectives.

OOC:
Are you using a conlang or an existing one?
If I may make a suggestion: For historical purposes you might want to draft a history of language transitioning from Ancient Norfolker to whatever the modern language is, with the ancient being based on the Virginian dialect. It'd be a good way to pay homage to Norfolk's origins.

Vilhelm Benkern

Thank you my prince for your grace!

OOC: At the moment, I am using bastardised Sanskrit to represent Aryashti culture and for Norfolk, simple "Shirerithian English". I know the RL reference in 'Norfolk' was to the naval base, but I'd like to open that out to include the East Anglian Norfolk, hence 'Bury'. I'll look into the possibility of a local conlang for the future. What kind of dialect is Virginian?
Vilhelm Benkern DEOMI, Member of the Order of the Dragon, Silver Swan, Red Dragon

Jonas
Lord of the Fries

Post by Jonas »

*The Dutch looks rather confused about how he ended up in this hell hole.*
Important characters:
Frederik Alfons des Vinandy-Paravel, King of Batavia
Joseph Bartholomeus des Vinandy-Windsor, Prince-Regent of Batavia
Jin San, Diwang of Jingdao, Duke of Kildare

Orion
Full of shi... err.. stars!

Post by Orion »

Vilhelm Benkern wrote:OOC: At the moment, I am using bastardised Sanskrit to represent Aryashti culture and for Norfolk, simple "Shirerithian English". I know the RL reference in 'Norfolk' was to the naval base, but I'd like to open that out to include the East Anglian Norfolk, hence 'Bury'. I'll look into the possibility of a local conlang for the future. What kind of dialect is Virginian?
Imagine normal American with a hint of Southern Drawl. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Virginia_accent
The only reason I bring it up is because the "original" Norfolk was so heavily influenced and founded upon Naval Station Norfolk that I find it hard to picture that culture being entirely supplanted. It is, of course, your area to do whatever it is you want to do with it. But if I can provide any insight into the culture of that era, please feel free to ask.

Vilhelm Benkern

I will do - no intention to supplant anything, only to add. And I'll definitely be including that pleasant-sounding accent!

Aryeztur

Post by Aryeztur »

Do so indeed, I love Virginia, probably my favorite state in the country.

Jonas
Lord of the Fries

Post by Jonas »

Where does the loyalty of the Count lies in case of conflict between the two States?
Important characters:

Vilhelm Benkern

The County is blind to any conflict and remains neutral.

Jonas
Lord of the Fries

Post by Jonas »

Hmm. In that case Kildare may reconsider supporting this 'unification'. As feudal state this would form a dangerous precedent if the lord loyal to Kildarian Dutch doesn't do his duty.
Important characters:

Aryeztur

Post by Aryeztur »

That was an unreasonable question to ask The Lord (of Norfolk), seeing as that's a bridge to cross when we reach it, if ever.

Vilhelm Benkern

Jonas wrote:Hmm. In that case Kildare may reconsider supporting this 'unification'. As feudal state this would form a dangerous precedent if the lord loyal to Kildarian Dutch doesn't do his duty.
Glorious Dutch, I hope that there has been no misunderstanding. I have never erred in my solid devotion to the Kildari state and society, nor to you personally or ex officio as Dutch. I have hungrily weclomed the recent developments regarding the changes to your advisors, and have publically defended your position against irrational and impure assaults. In an act of grace, I ask you to reciprocate this loyalty. Any relationship of suzerain-vassal, lord-vassal, lord-subject is defined by reciprocity: a duty to protect is matched by a duty to serve. My position as Count is predicated upon the current constitutional arrangement of these islands. If such an arrangement was not in place, the people of Norfolk, of all races and religions, will suffer from a lack of government and lapse into anarchy and piracy, to the detriment of all. Therefore recognise that just as I may never raise a blade to the Dutch, I cannot raise a blade to the Prince of Aryasht, who is also my lord. This is the cost of the prosperity of Norfolk.

Furthermore I reiterate my original position: there is no true conflict, and no need for this dispute.

Jonas
Lord of the Fries

Post by Jonas »

Aryeztur wrote:That was an unreasonable question to ask The Lord (of Norfolk), seeing as that's a bridge to cross when we reach it, if ever.
It seems not, as our both governments show very diverse views on matters concerning Apollonia, which would without doubt could lead to future conflicts. The lords and ladies of the Dutchy need to show their loyalty to the Ducal Crown, even those on far-away isles. Norfolk is strategically important, so how could ever explain to the nobility that I support a Count who wouldn't fully support his liege in matters of conflict?

Lird Vilhelm, please start kissing the feet of the Dutch now while I think about this matter!
Important characters:

Aryeztur

Post by Aryeztur »

Sir, you know he can scarcely do that without reneging on his other obligations, so please desist.

Vilhelm Benkern

My actions speak for themselves, and will continue to do so.

Jonas
Lord of the Fries

Post by Jonas »

Kildare will, in that case, have to send troops to the Kildarian parts of the Condominium. The Dutchy will demand control over the security and military of the regions formerly part of the Dutchy, while the Count and other local governments will stay in power but lose control over the military organisation (we will, of course, not do this in the part which was formerly from Aryasht).
Important characters:

Aryeztur

Post by Aryeztur »

Kildare, it seems, has no knowledge of the meaning of the term condominium, which implies equal control and ownership. Did they not know this when they signed up for this? It is not as though the two halves were each placed in Kildarian and Aryashti spheres of influence respectively. The whole of Norfolk as an entity was made into a condominium. Now, from our point of view, this would make Norfolk a sort of neutral area, above politics, and getting on with its own business. Now if this is not the case, and you are resorting to brute force, then I am sure Benkern and the Prince of Aryasht will take the appropriate measures necessary to counter this. I am sure they will be honorable and not yield an inch to this manufactured crisis built on the basis of unsolicited coercion.

Jonas
Lord of the Fries

Post by Jonas »

As far as the Dutchy is concerned no formal agreement was signed, so we are in now way obligated to do anything. We will, however protect our position within the Imperial Republic and for this we take military control of those parts we consider Kildarian. If no agreement can be made in that manner, we shall see this as an early end of a unified Norfolk and brutally force our way into the palace of the Count when necessary!

FOR KILDARE! FOR GLORY! FOR PONY! :madviking:
Important characters:

Jonas
Lord of the Fries

Post by Jonas »

We, of course, wait patiently on the answer of our hopefully potential and loyal vassal, lord Zaila of Norfolk. :8
Important characters:

Return to “Norfolk”