Use of Magic (Repeal) Act 2012

Here, citizens can propose, discuss and vote on domestic legislation.

Moderator: (Gralus) Gralan Emperor

Carl Jackson

Post by Carl Jackson »

The Use of Magic Act is hereby repealed.

Nargoth

Re: Use of Magic (Repeal) Act 2012

Post by Nargoth »

Awww, bummer. Are you part of the legislation now?

Where is the original Use of Magic Act? What does this repeal mean for those of the nation who can perform magic?

(Im trying to keep up with goings on but only really read Gralus and the RP forum...)
Last Lord of Magic

Gerk

Post by Gerk »

As I just explained elsewhere, the point of this act is to apply the 'deadly weapon' clause in cases in which a crime is being committed. If no crime is being committed, the use of magic has no legal consequence. If you'd like me to rewrite it so that this is more clear, I can do so.

Also, do please stop attaching OOC dates to IC legal proposals. (our entire legal system is IC)
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
~Sherlock Holmes

The character of Gerk ronAnaglea is dead.
My avatar contains (from left to right) the characters of Analis and Rafel.
Click here for my roleplaying Element List.

Carl Jackson

Post by Carl Jackson »

Please :)

Gerk

Post by Gerk »

I'll get to it... eventually. Kick me every so often if I haven't done so yet.
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
~Sherlock Holmes

Gerk

Post by Gerk »

Alright, I made it a bit clearer, though I'm not sure it really needed it, legally speaking. If you're not clear on the whole 'deadly weapon' rule, read through the Gralan Criminal Law Act, specifically the section on Murder, there's a fairly thorough description there.
~Sherlock Holmes

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

Thanks for that Gerk.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave. But he does deserve a cool war ribbon.
However, this account still manages:
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn - Speaker of Nelaga, Minister of Interior Affairs, and a Micron

Thadeus Laing
Sea Elf, Sea Elf Run

Post by Thadeus Laing »

I wish to state to this Assembly that I oppose the total banning of magic. For those of the species magicus, or those with magicus DNA, this would constitute a human rights violation. I know this as Count of the Raynor Isles in Shireroth, which is one of the several places on Micras that have had magicus DNA admixture. There are, for instance, adults, and even mere children, who can power an ancient lighthouse with the simple casting of a spell, so that it burns as bright as the Sun, and have saved generations of families from the heartbreak of losing loved ones, sailors at sea, due to visibility conditions off the coast of Gull Island. There are Old Gullans who have cured cancer. Rumor has it, there is even among an elite magical few the ability to revive the dead.

I would not mind, of course, the banning of reviving the dead for, say, serving as a zombie army, and, indeed, the banning of the use of magic for other dangerous or destructive purposes. However a blanket ban of all magic is not the way to go.

* Sits back down *

Carl Jackson

Post by Carl Jackson »

/me kicks Gerk

Gerk

Post by Gerk »

Gustave Chevalier wrote:I wish to state to this Assembly that I oppose the total banning of magic.
Nobody is suggesting that here. The point of the Use of Magic Act is to apply the deadly weapon clause to the use of magic in criminal acts. If you're not familiar with the idea of the deadly weapon clause, it basically means that the use of a deadly weapon (in this case, magic) constitutes a state of Malice in determining whether a crime can be considered murder. Also, the use of a deadly weapon is the primary difference between whether a crime is considered Aggravated Assault or just regular old Assault. Banning the use of magic entirely would violate Article I, Section 2 of our Constitution, as well as clauses 2 and 4 (arguably) of our Bill of Rights.
~Sherlock Holmes

Return to “Legislative Assembly”