Upcoming LOA

A central forum for general discussion, especially micronational related stuff that doesn't go anywhere else.
Shyriath
CONDOLORD

Upcoming LOA

Post by Shyriath »

I have some bus trips coming up shortly, as a result of which I'll probably be even less in touch than usual. =p The first one is a one-day thing on June 1st, and the second one is from June 3rd to the 6th; I might be able to check in every so often, but particularly during the second trip I don't know what my connectivity situation is going to be like, so worst-case scenario, I'd be gone till the 7th.

Quite possibly the first time I've taken a vacation longer than a long weekend since I started my job in late 2006. HEEEEEEE. :mrgreen:
Shyriath Farstrider (aka Shyriath Bukolos), KD MOU OLH XBH
Viscount Farstrider of Erysisceptrum, Count Bukolos of the Condo, Harbinger of Cheese

TOTUS MUNDUS TABULAM RASAM EST

Vilhelm Benkern

Re: Upcoming LOA

Post by Vilhelm Benkern »

Have a great time! Don't get lost.
Vilhelm Benkern DEOMI, Member of the Order of the Dragon, Silver Swan, Red Dragon
Dirigent of Musica, Count of Mar Sara
In Aryasht Prapta Vrteti, former Prince of Aryasht; Zaila Vrteti, Norfolknath
In Elwynn Benjamin Sebasokrator Timothy Quentin Kern, Duke of Raikoth
In Khalypsil Representative of the Wisdom

Krasniy Yastreb

Post by Krasniy Yastreb »

Shyriath wrote:Quite possibly the first time I've taken a vacation longer than a long weekend since I started my job in late 2006. HEEEEEEE. :mrgreen:
Long overdue then... Enjoy it to the fullest! :)

Mira Raynora Minor

Post by Mira Raynora Minor »

Don't worry about us, Shy...you go and enjoy your trips this week. Hopefully I'll be up to date with your story (I can't really call it our RP) by the time you're back! :mrgreen:
Mira Raynora the Younger
Queen of Leichenberg
Queen of Lichbrook, Duchess of Brookshire

Marchioness and Lichgravine of Lachmodan, Countess of Azarea and Ž

Shyriath
CONDOLORD

Post by Shyriath »

Mira Raynora Minor wrote:Hopefully I'll be up to date with your story (I can't really call it our RP) by the time you're back!
Thank you. If you could, also let me know if there are any issues with the updated timeline I PMed you on the 24th. :mrgreen:

Briefly back home now, so an update from my end: Monticello was nice, although I wish they'd let us spend more time there. We were able to take the guided tour of the ground floor (no photography allowed there, and unfortunately so), then wandered around the basement level for a bit, but there wasn't enough time to see much else on the grounds. We managed to see Jefferson's grave and his family cemetary, but not much of the gardens or the outbuildings. Michie Tavern was pretty nice too.

Alas, the shine kinda got taken off the day by the fact that my credit card has been blocked. I have the feeling that a purchase I had made the previous day had been considered unusual enough that it set off warning bells on their systems. But since I didn't find out that I couldn't use the card until after the card operator's open hours yesterday, and since they aren't open at all on Sunday, I will have to call them tomorrow while I'm on my bus trip, in order to find out if that was indeed why it was blocked, and if so to persuade them to let me start using the damn thing again so that I can actually buy things when I get there.
Viscount Farstrider of Erysisceptrum, Count Bukolos of the Condo, Harbinger of Cheese

Mira Raynora Minor

Shyriath wrote: Thank you. If you could, also let me know if there are any issues with the updated timeline I PMed you on the 24th. :mrgreen:
I could have sworn I'd replied...but, no, I see now that I didn't. Apologies. This is what happens when you receive a PM the day before you go off on holiday!
Alas, the shine kinda got taken off the day by the fact that my credit card has been blocked. I have the feeling that a purchase I had made the previous day had been considered unusual enough that it set off warning bells on their systems. But since I didn't find out that I couldn't use the card until after the card operator's open hours yesterday, and since they aren't open at all on Sunday, I will have to call them tomorrow while I'm on my bus trip, in order to find out if that was indeed why it was blocked, and if so to persuade them to let me start using the damn thing again so that I can actually buy things when I get there.
Urgh, you have my sympathy. They keep suspending my credit card whenever I use it to top-up my mobile phone (on the grounds that thieves often do this to test that a card/pin combination works)...so much for all those adverts suggesting that you can be dumped naked in a desert and still make it to your wedding with nothing but your trusty plastic pal!
Mira Raynora the Younger
Queen of Leichenberg

Shyriath
CONDOLORD

Post by Shyriath »

Well, I'm on my way back. Apparently, the thing that the credit card folks found to be a suspicious purchase was a single 99 cent purchase from an App Store, out of multiple app purchases I had made on the same day, some more expensive than that one. I expressed my incredulity and displeasure to them, and after clarifying that I was going on a trip and therefore purchases from New York and Canada should not be considered suspicious either, I got the use of my card back. Huzzah.

The weather was near-cloudless and decently warm, or at least would have been except for the wind. The Thousand Islands area is beautiful, and Boldt Castle is frankly astonishing. I... I want one of those. So much. Including the rest of the island.

Ottawa was nice too, but they tried to cram too much into one day, I think. The Canadian Parliament buildings were awesome, though; I enjoy the neo-Gothic style. The Senate apparently vacated their chamber just early enough that we got to go inside and look; the House of Commons was still sitting, though. And that parliamentary library! I want one of those, too. It's a lot like the Reading Room at the Library of Congress, really. (It goes to show, Rossheim, what a library with an atrium can be like when there AREN'T any yelling kids around. Wonderful.) Alas, no photography of the library's interior is allowed, though I imagine there are some already floating around the Interwebs somewhere.

Depending on how exhausted I am by tonight, I'll be back on duty either then or tomorrow. Beware. :Court:

Mira Raynora Minor

Shyriath wrote:Depending on how exhausted I am by tonight, I'll be back on duty either then or tomorrow. Beware. :Court:
Dammit Shy, give yourself a break from us!!! :mrgreen:

Good to have you back though...I need your thoughts on some things. I've just looked up Boldt Castle and can see why you appreciated it! Very envious about the library. The YAC should annex it so I can work there instead...
Mira Raynora the Younger
Queen of Leichenberg

Return to “General Discussion”