A few newbie questions

A central forum for general discussion, especially micronational related stuff that doesn't go anywhere else.
Emile

A few newbie questions

Post by Emile »

What is the policy here on multiple accounts / personas / "paples"? (I don't remember the exact word). Do you use one account to roleplay several characters, or create an account for each, or do what the heck seems more convenient/fun?

Dual citizenships, how the heck does that work? One character, several nations? One person, several characters, one nation each? the policy on that seems to be debated.

What is the relationship between the bastion forum, the hub.mn forum, the Micras wiki, ShireWiki, and MicroWiki? (MicroWiki seems to be considered a complete rival / outsider)

Is anybody ever on IRC? It seems empty most of the time (though yesterday I did run into a bunch of mensen spreken als deze).

Is there a place with archived news reports or something? The wiki doesn't seem like a very good place to read up on history, according to it Babkha and Antica are doing fine...

What's the protocol for involving other countries in your stories, or recwars, etc. Say I want to complain about treacherous Aryashtan spies poisoning my water supply, do I need a signed consent form from Aryasht before I do that? or do I just go ahead and let Aryasht decide whether they want to call it a false flag operation, or demand their citizens be released immediatly, they were just tourists, or accuse me of cabbage-induced hallucinations?

What the heck is tl;dr ? oh, it's tldr, okay. But still, what is it, something from My Little Pony?

Vilhelm Benkern

Re: A few newbie questions

Post by Vilhelm Benkern »

1. It's a matter of personal taste. I make new accounts for all main characters, so while some posts might be written as a herald or as 'narrator', if you search this profile's posts you'll find all my OOC posts and those as "Vilhelm Benkern". I have a few others - this guy and him - but as you can see, most posts are made on this main account. This is complicated by the issues raised by your second question...

2. Again, no uniform policy. Some nations permit it, some make it illegal, some bar you from certain appointments e.g. King, some embrace it. I have three characters in Shireroth, and one character in Elwynn/Albion, who is also in Aryasht.

3. Bastion: collection of nations who get on and were dying so felt the need to get together for off-topic stuff, facilitate international relations. Our nations aren't allies automatically - we often fight more with fellow Bastionados than anyone else, because familiarity breeds contempt as the saying goes.
Hub.mn: Hosts the MCS, basically the hub of the Micras sector. Most Bastion nations put a few people there, but plenty of Bastion people stick just here.
Shirewiki: A wiki for Shireroth! And nothing more, no community. Though once it was "the" MicrasWiki (formerly called MicroWiki).
Micraswiki: Wiki for Micras generally, administered by the MCS.
Microwiki: A completely different community as you have noted, though friendly Micras people get on with friendly MicroWikiers, and some people and nations bridge the gap. Some MicroWiki nations have MCS land.

4. IRC activity fluctuates greatly! Sometimes more goes on there than on the forum. I'll make an effort to get on there more if we're expecting new arrivals.

5. We're actually very bad at news, but http://www.micronationhistory.info/ the Coprieta Standard archives are quite good - scroll down the page. Their main limitation is that they are limited to nations and events that Liam is interested in; the plus is that the articles are well-written and examples of some of the best micronational journalism on the internet. For a wider amount of news see the Hub News forum has a varied amount. For which nations are alive and dead on Micras, check the claimsmap! Not perfect - Gralus is deader than Babkha and Antica, but still clings on - but a rough gauge.

6. A matter of personal choice. Not asking informally first can cause problems. Some nations are more receptive to active/spontaneous international roleplay than others. There are avoision techniques within the RP sphere- where if Emilestan released a statement saying that Aryashti terrorists had bombed your post offices, Aryasht would say they were just using stolen uniforms and there are no Aryashti terrorists in Emilestan because they're all in Alexandria, and so on.

7. All I have to say is that the emoticons on this forum are basically a gallery of old, bad personal in-jokes. So sayeth :santachrim:
Vilhelm Benkern DEOMI, Member of the Order of the Dragon, Silver Swan, Red Dragon
Dirigent of Musica, Count of Mar Sara
In Aryasht Prapta Vrteti, former Prince of Aryasht; Zaila Vrteti, Norfolknath
In Elwynn Benjamin Sebasokrator Timothy Quentin Kern, Duke of Raikoth
In Khalypsil Representative of the Wisdom

Nathan

Post by Nathan »

No "official" policy on multiple accounts. It was informally decided a few months ago that all accounts should indicate they belong to the same real person, either in the "character registry" or in the signature portion of your posts. Generally, smaller roles are just done with your main account/person. If you want to really take on a wildly different character or take on a separate citizenship that would clash with your responsibilities in your main nation, you might want to make a new character.

Duel citizenship work depending on each nation. I don't know of any nations that currently have limitations on how many other citizenships you can hold. One person, several characters each on one nation is generally how people manage things. Multiple accounts in one nation can be tricky, as long as you make it clear you are all the same "real" person no one should complain, but otherwise it may appear like you are artificially inflating your own activity.

Bastion vs Hub is friendly. It's the same "Sector" and the same group of people. Bastion is a shared forum while Hub is the central discussion/news forum for our community. They host the mapping organization so everyone needs to go there at some point anyway ;) MicrasWiki is run by the mapping organization, I think? ShireWiki and the other nation-wikis are like MicrasWiki but only contain one nation's information. Various attempts have and are being made to unify them more. MicroWiki, is the closest "other" sector we have regular contact with. They are mostly secessionists, kids declaring their backyards kingdoms. Harmless, but sometimes they get a little too serious. After initially trying to work with them, I think we gave up since they enjoy being serious too much for our tastes.

IRC, usually picks up when things are getting exciting ;) People like to chat/plan stories there as well. Otherwise it's dead or super active. No in between lol. (I don't go on as much, someone might explain it better)

Archive news reports, I'd check the Coprieta Standard. It's long-running, covers all of Micras, and mostly picks up on the big stories in a timely manner. Otherwise its a crap-shoot trying to find individual nations' newsblogs or wikis. Some nations have archives/libraries/academies on their forum that might include an overview of their history as well.

No official protocol. Usually it depends on the relationship you have with the people in the other nation. If you chat on IRC and bounce ideas off them, and they are receptive, they will probably be ok with you mentioning/using their nation somehow, especially if its minor and can be handled easily. Saying they enslaved your people and burned your villages probably will be met with laughter and your story may be disregarded. If you have no contact with them, and all of a sudden are using their nationals as terrorists they probably won't like that. Basically it follows the rules of "any publicity is good publicity" since most people (at least I feel this personally) would be honored/excited that you took enough of an interest to choose them to be included. :) But still, a basic repoire is usually a prerequisite before you start including other people's nations.

tl;dr is a Deerling? Winter form. It's a pokemon, I forget why it's the tl;dr...

:)

Ben beat me to it but I'm stilling putting it up :P
The ghost of Nathan Waffel-Paine

Vilhelm Benkern

It's good to see that we basically agree on everything :D
Vilhelm Benkern DEOMI, Member of the Order of the Dragon, Silver Swan, Red Dragon

Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Haha we do indeed! :D No one better come along ans disagree with us... we've just defined the sector definitively ;)
The ghost of Nathan Waffel-Paine

Vilhelm Benkern

Definitely we have :samzure:

ari
Grim Auxiliator

Post by ari »

Blame Fides (Demon of Fides, a Gralan citizen who's no longer around) for tl;dr. It's a teal deer.
Lord Furniture
Not even partially responsible for Malarboria; will take the blame for Caverden, though!
Tallest and therefore Greatest of the Janitors
Eternal Watcher of #micronations

Max von Rossheim

Post by Max von Rossheim »

You know...one of these days somebody with epilepsy is going to visit Bastion, suffer a massive attack thanks to Samzure and then sue us!
Emile wrote:What's the protocol for involving other countries in your stories, or recwars, etc. Say I want to complain about treacherous Aryashtan spies poisoning my water supply, do I need a signed consent form from Aryasht before I do that? or do I just go ahead and let Aryasht decide whether they want to call it a false flag operation, or demand their citizens be released immediatly, they were just tourists, or accuse me of cabbage-induced hallucinations?
If in any doubt, ask first! I find that policy saves a lot of unnecessary grief...

Other than that, I can't think of anything much to add to what Ben and Nate have already said.
Max I
King of Leichenberg

Sometime Emperor of Sangun

Liam Sinclair

Post by Liam Sinclair »

Their main limitation is that they are limited to nations and events that Liam is interested in
I wouldn't turn down any offers of articles written by other individuals to cover off the wider spectrum, you know! ;)

As noted, the Coprieta Standard site also hosts a large news archive, comprising 1200+ articles since 2000, which includes all of my publications over the years as well as those of many others, including a partial archive (still being added) of the Apollo Fireball by Scott Alexander, the community's first major news publication back in 2000.

P.S. I should mention that the CS is in a bit of a reorganization of its archives at the moment which I haven't quite finished, replacing micronation-specific categories with tags, as that format works better with the new template that I implemented a couple of months ago. As such, using the search function might be the best idea for a bit longer until the tag cloud is complete.

Scott Alexander

Post by Scott Alexander »

The archives of the Malarbor Says announcements is an okay historical resource, albeit hard to navigate and Shireroth-centric.

Gerk

Post by Gerk »

ari wrote:Blame Fides (Demon of Fides, a Gralan citizen who's no longer around) for tl;dr. It's a teal deer.
I never knew it was Fides that introduced that.

Oh, gosh, look at me, three posts in one day, what's happening to me?
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
~Sherlock Holmes

The character of Gerk ronAnaglea is dead.
My avatar contains (from left to right) the characters of Analis and Rafel.
Click here for my roleplaying Element List.

Return to “General Discussion”