I am sitting on a resource I don't know how to use

A central forum for general discussion, especially micronational related stuff that doesn't go anywhere else.
Mira Raynora Minor

Re: I am sitting on a resource I don't know how to use

Post by Mira Raynora Minor »

ConglacioII wrote:I think when Mira said " all we've done is provide a single forum" she did not mean that we need more forums, but that the old folks need to give more support... like...well, I don't know...advice, resources, participation...stuff.
That's exactly what I meant... :mrgreen:

Imagine you're a new arrival here, with dreams of founding your own country. You look through all the member state fora, with their flags, banners, maps and even customised forum-themes...and then are directed to a totally unprepossessing forum right just above the archive link. No maps, no banner, no flags, no theme...what's your impression going to be?

I do appreciate these things take time and energy to put in place, but the source of my concern is rather more profound: there is very little at the moment to attract, let alone keep, a newcomer. Indeed, I would go so far as to say that the sort of person who is going thrive there- someone with the drive, creativity and above all determination to push forward a project without external support- is precisely the sort of person who doesn't really need it in the first place!

The Archipelago had the senate, a good-looking map and the monthly competitions to stimulate interest and I really we need something on these lines in the Green...else people will take their imaginations to one of the other conworlding communities floating around the net. That is something we old folks can help with.
I think, in terms of the map, perhaps if the project claim a load of Eura (or Appolonia, or whatever), and on the MCS map it just shows as all being claimed, but a map be maintained here with the claims of the Grean members. I could contribute that, if it is wanted.
I think Conglacio has been reading my mind again, because that's exactly what I was thinking in terms of! Let's talk to the MCS about claiming a reasonable chunk of territory, which can then be distributed among participants. I agree with Emile that some people (most even?) will just want to "dick around with their nation" but if everyone is dicking around in the same general area, then it might lead to something more. ;)
Emile wrote:And thanks for the offer of help, the best way to help right now would be to dive in and make that subforum active :)
I'd like to help too, as I believe this could be very important to the long-term health of Bastion, possibly the entire sector. Unfortunately, I am somewhat limited by my responsibilities elsewhere: aside from my duties in Shireroth (which must have first call on my time), I have another country to run...so however much I might want to dive in, I'm afraid my participation will have to remain small-scale.
Mira Raynora the Younger
Queen of Leichenberg
Queen of Lichbrook, Duchess of Brookshire

Marchioness and Lichgravine of Lachmodan, Countess of Azarea and Ž

Emile

Post by Emile »

Good points, if you want to help discuss the status of The Green with the MCS, please do - I don't have an account over there and don't even really know who is who, what the jursprudence is, etc. (with the people having different account names it can be a bit confusing). Same if someone wants to help with maps, etc.

About territory, I don't think The Green should be completely split up among participants, ideally most of it should always be, well, green, no?

Monthly competitions sound like a good idea!

Does anyone have any strong preference over Apollonia vs. Eura? I find Eura a bit too monoclimatic (also, more diverse neighbours!), but on the other hand it has some interesting recent history.

Scott Alexander

Post by Scott Alexander »

My experience is that everyone obsessively wants coast and island and otherwise ignores climate/terrain. This sounds like a strong argument in favor of Eura.

Octavius

Post by Octavius »

Coasts and islands are good if you're into that sort of thing. Plains and mountains have their own charm, though, and only those who can truly appreciate them will know what to do with them.

Emile

Post by Emile »

Eura it is then! At least two of us already are desert-themed, I don't care as much about having coasts, there's some greener parts down south, and radioactive ruins are cool.

We have always been at war with Eurasia.

Rei Milharna

Post by Rei Milharna »

Or you could just say that A Certain Erstwhile Persian Micronation's nuclear self-flagellation drastically changed the climate... I did that with the Emirate, since steppe would probably be more hospitable to Loroi than desert.

Also, I use 2px-on/1px-off dotted lines for the Emirate's claimed borders and suggest that as a standard for the Green alongside coloring only the explored area inside those borders.

Royston Merrick

Post by Royston Merrick »

The climate on Eura was always more diverse than you lot gave credence for. Not our fault you decided we were a single biome country... =p

Thadeus Laing
Sea Elf, Sea Elf Run

Post by Thadeus Laing »

Rei Milharna wrote:Or you could just say that A Certain Erstwhile Persian Micronation's nuclear self-flagellation drastically changed the climate... I did that with the Emirate, since steppe would probably be more hospitable to Loroi than desert.

Also, I use 2px-on/1px-off dotted lines for the Emirate's claimed borders and suggest that as a standard for the Green alongside coloring only the explored area inside those borders.
I know I have heard that ardent environmentalists across Micras
were at the same time euphoric at seeing the world's biggest producer
of carbon-based emissions destroyed and dismayed at its mostly-
sand land mass being converted into the world's largest piece of glass
(shiny enough to be seen from 23 light years away).

HIM Keita V

Post by HIM Keita V »

Erm.

So.

Revive the Green? Anyone?
Keita V
29th Safir Empress
Played by Carl

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Post by Verion »

I don't think the green is a bad idea but due to the lack of visible national identity (eg. the flags aren't visible on the MCS map) it is not as appealing as a real nation. Still, I think the green as a sort of 'cradle of nations' is a good concept.
1.Titus Morvayne, Prefect of Shirekeep, Count of the Skyla Islands
2.Eki Aholibamah Verion, Queen in the North
3. Ludovic Verion, Lord of Blackstone and Governor-General of the Iron Company
4. Jeremy Harwinsson Archer, super sleuth

Cabbage

Post by Cabbage »

It was shit last time so try it again to see if we get different results.

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Post by Verion »

Probably.
1.Titus Morvayne, Prefect of Shirekeep, Count of the Skyla Islands
2.Eki Aholibamah Verion, Queen in the North
3. Ludovic Verion, Lord of Blackstone and Governor-General of the Iron Company
4. Jeremy Harwinsson Archer, super sleuth

Return to “General Discussion”