New country

A central forum for general discussion, especially micronational related stuff that doesn't go anywhere else.
Dimitri von Kanostra

New country

Post by Dimitri von Kanostra »

Hello,

Can you make also your own country?
I think I want that. :mrgreen:

Greetings,
Dimitri von Kanostra

ari
Grim Auxiliator

Re: New country

Post by ari »

That happens. It's how mostmany of us got into this mess. (not me though)

What kind of a country were you thinking of founding?
Lord Furniture
Not even partially responsible for Malarboria; will take the blame for Caverden, though!
Tallest and therefore Greatest of the Janitors
Eternal Watcher of #micronations

Dimitri von Kanostra

Post by Dimitri von Kanostra »

I was thinking about a one party-state. Not communistic, but conservative.

rosskilder

Post by rosskilder »

If you have never done this before, you might like to serve an apprenticeship with an existing micronation. There's dozens to choose from. Doing so would save you from the bane of all new nations - finding and getting the loyalty of citizens. There's no point getting on forums such as this one and inviting people to join your new micronation. Every one of us is already involved in (at least) one existing micronation. Joining a startup would be an act of treason.
Sir Ross Kilder KLG, of the County of Kendal
Vice-Minister Commerce and Industry
Governor, Royal Bank of Commerce
Royal Kingdom of Gotzborg

Aryeztur

Post by Aryeztur »

You could check out Aryasht, which is a no party conservative monarchical autocracy, somewhat similar to what you're going for.
The Great King, King of Kings, King of the World

Jonas
Lord of the Fries

Post by Jonas »

rosskilder wrote:Joining a startup would be an act of treason.
Since when is joining a new nation an act of treason? It's just a bit unlikely that people will join a new nation which hasn't proven itself.
Important characters:
Frederik Alfons des Vinandy-Paravel, King of Batavia
Joseph Bartholomeus des Vinandy-Windsor, Prince-Regent of Batavia
Jin San, Diwang of Jingdao, Duke of Kildare

Sisera B.E.

Post by Sisera B.E. »

I think Rosskilder is just warning his own citizens, if he has any.

ari
Grim Auxiliator

Post by ari »

Jonas wrote:
Since when is joining a new nation an act of treason? It's just a bit unlikely that people will join a new nation which hasn't proven itself.
Bastion is pretty incestuous compared to some other places and times in the history of micronationalism. I remember back when the Apollo sector was new, the older nations we looked at talked a lot about poaching and how big of as in it was.
Lord Furniture
Not even partially responsible for Malarboria; will take the blame for Caverden, though!
Tallest and therefore Greatest of the Janitors
Eternal Watcher of #micronations

Emir of Raspur

Post by Emir of Raspur »

ari wrote:
Jonas wrote:
Bastion is pretty incestuous compared to some other places and times in the history of micronationalism. I remember back when the Apollo sector was new, the older nations we looked at talked a lot about poaching and how big of as in it was.
That was before the marshes were drained and the surviving creatures were forced to cohabit in the few stagnant ponds remaining.

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Post by Verion »

I myself am a citizen of about 5 nations... So, no problem there. But getting active citizens can be hard, especially when you are new, so I would recommend you to join an existing nation and learn a lot, make friends and have fun!
1.Titus Morvayne, Prefect of Shirekeep, Count of the Skyla Islands
2.Eki Aholibamah Verion, Queen in the North
3. Ludovic Verion, Lord of Blackstone and Governor-General of the Iron Company
4. Jeremy Harwinsson Archer, super sleuth

Liam Sinclair

Post by Liam Sinclair »

Ross is simply stating what we all know is a rather obvious truth, though his wording may be a bit strong on the use of "treason". A micronationalist with more than two or three active citizenships is overstretched at the best of times, causing his/her contributions to many of those micronations to become limited or ineffective. This is why Shireroth limited dual citizenship, for example. And at the risk of the sky falling, I will admit that Shireroth got it right on that aspect. The vast majority of us in this community are into our 20s now (and many of us pushing 30), so we are seriously constrained in our free time as it is. In my opinion, it's better to focus energies at this point for maximum return.

Let's say that a newcomer decides to found his/her own micronation, jumping right into the fire and taking on that level of responsibility from the get-go. That's certainly his/her choice and I wouldn't want to see him/her fail right out of the gate. My concern is that the experienced population - us 20 and 30 year olds with very limited time for micronationalism as it is - would not be in a position to effectively guide the newcomer through the very difficult process of starting a micronation. I'm sure one of us might join his micronation, but that adds to an already bloated portfolio of citizenships for many and it would be doubtful any one in that situation would be able to provide a newcomer the guidance he/she needs to make his/her dream successful. Hence why I think it's better to encourage newcomers to learn the ropes in an existing micronation, not because we want to stifle them or be greedy, but because it's the best way to make use of resources to their benefit. This gets the newcomer important, better focused, orientation to the community and the concepts of micronationalism, a chance to refine skills and learn from the veterans directly, and it provides a taste of what's really involved and what the rest of us are able to do to support his or her future aspirations.

I think Ross is a good example of how to best approach micronationalism in keeping with my discussion above. He observed the hobby for quite some time and, deciding to get his feet wet, he joined an existing micronation as opposed to founding his own. In Gotzborg where he has chosen to make his home, I've seen his participation grow and his talents bloom. He's probably contributed more vision to Gotzborg (and the community as a whole, especially on economics) in the space of a few short months than most of us veterans have contributed in the last two years. If Ross goes on to found his own micronation sometime in the future, he'll certainly have a good footing in the hobby to hopefully succeed at that. In the meantime, whether you agree with his choice of words or not, we're fortunate to have him and his related macronational expertise in our community.

I certainly don't agree with Sisera's need to make tongue-in-cheek comments about Ross' motivations when he clearly has no idea who Ross is (Ross doesn't have his own micronation or citizens of his own, a simple 30 second read of his introduction post in the stickied thread at the top of this forum would have been an appreciated educational effort). It's a counterproductive attitude that needlessly attempts to tarnish a newcomer. As I've said at hub.mn, several individuals in this community have a nasty habit of turning on newcomers for the most pathetic reasoning. No wonder why many of the micronations of the Bastion Union are only surviving because of the rampant incest (to use Ari's term) going on between them; they're certainly not going to attract new blood with such conduct.

Zai Saleh

Post by Zai Saleh »

As we all know, someone interesting in creating and ruling their own country would obviously want to follow other people, I wonder if there is a way for those other people to seem both arrogant and desperate at the same time. Logic dictates that when someone of a common interest finds a community of like-minded people that they immediately explain what that new person is doing wrong, but I wonder if there's a way for that community to pathetically plead for that new person to obey them? Maybe "Please do my bidding, I'll do anything!"

Failing that, there's always the approach of welcoming and supportive non-interference..

Welcome aboard!

Sisera B.E.

Post by Sisera B.E. »

Liam Sinclair wrote:I certainly don't agree with Sisera's need to make tongue-in-cheek comments about Ross' motivations when he clearly has no idea who Ross is (Ross doesn't have his own micronation or citizens of his own, a simple 30 second read of his introduction post in the stickied thread at the top of this forum would have been an appreciated educational effort). It's a counterproductive attitude that needlessly attempts to tarnish a newcomer. As I've said at hub.mn, several individuals in this community have a nasty habit of turning on newcomers for the most pathetic reasoning. No wonder why many of the micronations of the Bastion Union are only surviving because of the rampant incest (to use Ari's term) going on between them; they're certainly not going to attract new blood with such conduct.
Silly boy, we have attracted three new citizens in South Batavia. :wink:

rosskilder

Post by rosskilder »

Sisera B.E. wrote:Silly boy, we have attracted three new citizens in South Batavia. :wink:
Fatuous. Are they going to be as loyal to South batavia as you are to ... (checks the sig again) ... all three of your glorious empires?

Sisera B.E.

Post by Sisera B.E. »

rosskilder wrote:
Sisera B.E. wrote:Silly boy, we have attracted three new citizens in South Batavia. :wink:
Fatuous. Are they going to be as loyal to South batavia as you are to ... (checks the sig again) ... all three of your glorious empires?
Wahlstadt is a principality in Saxony, Saxony is a kingdom in South Batavia. :wink:

Mira Raynora Minor

Post by Mira Raynora Minor »

Dimitri von Kanostra wrote:Hello,

Can you make also your own country?
I think I want that. :mrgreen:

Greetings,
Dimitri von Kanostra
Hello and welcome, Dimitri!

It's always a pleasure to greet a new arrival in our strange little world; I certainly hope you won't be put off by some of the banter, which I assure you looks rather worse than it is (or perhaps we have just grown used to it!).

In answer to your question, yes you can! Just be aware that it isn't an easy business: unless you already know some people who are prepared to join in and help you, then it will probably just be you in your new country for a good long while. That's not to say that people here don't join new nations...but realistically, unless yours is offering something really new and exciting, you aren't likely to attract many high quality recruits until your country has proved itself.

But...don't let that dissuade you. If you are serious about wanting your own country and are prepared to work at it, on your own if necessary, then there is no reason why it cannot succeed. All the countries here had to start somewhere, after all!

One other word of advice. As new arrival are sadly quite rare here, you are going to get a lot of people trying to persuade you to join their own nation! That isn't necessarily a bad idea- Liam is quite correct in saying that joining an existing micronation will give you a far better idea of what you need to do in order to succeed with your own country. Ultimately though, it's your decision to make.

I really hope you decide to stick around in the sector and wish you all the best for your efforts. If you ever want to discuss your ideas or just want to chat, then feel free to contact us...and please don't be put off by the arguing! ;)

Rossheim (AKA Mira Raynora)
Mira Raynora the Younger
Queen of Leichenberg
Queen of Lichbrook, Duchess of Brookshire

Marchioness and Lichgravine of Lachmodan, Countess of Azarea and Ž

Jonas
Lord of the Fries

Post by Jonas »

I just asked a question... =p
Important characters:
Frederik Alfons des Vinandy-Paravel, King of Batavia
Joseph Bartholomeus des Vinandy-Windsor, Prince-Regent of Batavia
Jin San, Diwang of Jingdao, Duke of Kildare

Emir of Raspur

Post by Emir of Raspur »

Well the chap hasn't logged on since Saturday, so it is quite amusing to see this thread snowball when its intended subject has probably already fled for saner shores.

rosskilder

Post by rosskilder »

Sisera B.E. wrote:Wahlstadt is a principality in Saxony, Saxony is a kingdom in South Batavia. :wink:
And two neutrons plus two protons plus two electrons make a helium atom, gadzillions of them making up 24% of the elemental mass of the universe, but they are inert. :doc:

Zai Saleh

Post by Zai Saleh »

Emir of Raspur wrote:Well the chap hasn't logged on since Saturday, so it is quite amusing to see this thread snowball when its intended subject has probably already fled for saner shores.

Shame, everyone looked like they were ready to have him pledge for them.

Return to “General Discussion”