Sorry, Scott...I need to hijack your happy place

A central forum for general discussion, especially micronational related stuff that doesn't go anywhere else.
Mira Raynora Major
Bathtub Philosopher

Sorry, Scott...I need to hijack your happy place

Post by Mira Raynora Major »

As Kaiseress, I shouldn't be posting in your "happy place", but I really need to talk to you guys...quietly and sensibly. Because I badly need your advice.

I'm not going to mince my words; I've just about had it with Erik and the culture in Shireroth. I would have walked out by now if it wasn't for the fact that I seriously enjoy working with you guys and the history of the place has inspired some of my best creative work in, literally, years. But enough is enough.

I should emphasise that I'm not asking anyone here to "take sides" or to join me in badmouthing Erik. I don't think he's a bad person; he's just not someone I can comfortably work with. If he was just another citizen, like Giles, then I might be able to live with him, but he isn't and it's foolish to pretend that he is. It's very clear to me that Shireroth is his sandbox and I no longer want to play in it on those terms.

Unfortunately, I'm not at sure what to do about it! I won't lie to you guys, the devil inside me keeps whispering "secession", just to teach Erik a lesson...but a) it won't teach him anything b) it will upset you lot and c) it will just convince him that I was yet another bad person trying to steal his pixels, instead of someone with a genuine grievance. The other alternative is to do what Malliki did: take my various subdivision fora and relocate elsewhere. I've already got one contingency plan drawn up and am considering a number of other options.

Do you guys have any other bright ideas? And is there anything I can do for you, if and when I do decide to go?

Thanks for your time!

R.
Mira Raynora the Elder
Queen of Lichbrook, Duchess of Brookshire
Lichgravine of Overdolor, Countess of Caverden and Woodshire
Cedrist Demi-Goddess of Undead and Regional Autonomy

Vilhelm Benkern

Re: Sorry, Scott...I need to hijack your happy place

Post by Vilhelm Benkern »

(Out of interest, who has access here? Malliki after all has access to SEP despite lack of citizenship, and now even protectorate citizenship.)

With respect, why is Erik such a big deal? He can't prevent any of us just getting down to it and developing culture, or making laws, or even changing the Charter. Such is the tyranny of the majority and indeed the Kaiseress. We will never have absolute unanimity in Shireroth, I don't think we've ever had it on any point of substance and I would even go so far as to say that Erik vehemently disagreeing with you is a badge of honour indicating the probable worthiness of your cause. He's one of the least diplomatic people in our sector, but that just alienates him, which doesn't matter unless he's Kaiser. (It does when he is Kaiser, as in the case of the straw that broke Sanilla's back.) Shireroth is not his sandbox, it belongs to all of us- he just has pretences to the contrary and as a matter of due respect to tradition, history, and intellectual property, he is usually not un-welcome and he's even celebrated on Founder's Day. How he perceives his influence or right to control Shireroth doesn't make it so.
Vilhelm Benkern DEOMI, Member of the Order of the Dragon, Silver Swan, Red Dragon
Dirigent of Musica, Count of Mar Sara
In Aryasht Prapta Vrteti, former Prince of Aryasht; Zaila Vrteti, Norfolknath
In Elwynn Benjamin Sebasokrator Timothy Quentin Kern, Duke of Raikoth
In Khalypsil Representative of the Wisdom

ari
Grim Auxiliator

Post by ari »

(Out of interest, who has access here? Malliki after all has access to SEP despite lack of citizenship, and now even protectorate citizenship.)
Scott Alexander
A. L. von Rossheim
Andreas the Wise
ari
ConglacioII
Elijah Ayreon
Jonas
Kaiser Wythe I
Monty
Vilhelm Benkern
Wythe
Lord Furniture
Not even partially responsible for Malarboria; will take the blame for Caverden, though!
Tallest and therefore Greatest of the Janitors
Eternal Watcher of #micronations

Monty

Post by Monty »

You are Kaiser. You have the power to direct Shireroth in whatever way you wish. Its your prerogative. Further to that, it was Erik HIMSELF who gave you that power. It may be his sandbox but he set up the rules of the sandbox and tough luck to him if it doesn't go the way he likes it. Your Dukes stand behind you.
Lord Montague

Balarak Alaiaon, Duke of Elwynn, Unifier of the Severed Duchy, Sequestrer of Disharmony

Also operating as Jean Carmichael, Duke of Evreaux, Speaker of the Imperial Assembly.
Oh and Eli Naveh too, Chief of the Ashkenatzan Naval Staff.

In Battle; Unbeatable. In Victory; Unbearable.

Mira Raynora Major
Bathtub Philosopher

Vilhelm Benkern wrote:as a matter of due respect to tradition, history, and intellectual property, he is usually not un-welcome and he's even celebrated on Founder's Day.
I have no issue with respecting Erik and his opinions, even where they differ from my own; but that respect must flow both ways and I don't believe that is the case.

Why is Erik such a big deal for me? Because he drags me down. Some of you, perhaps most of you, would gladly see the back of Giles; but while I find his antics bizarre and at times annoying, I do not consider him to be as great a problem for Shireroth as Erik. Giles can be safely ignored, but Erik- by virtue of tradition, history and respect for intellectual property if nothing else- cannot...and I am finding the constant struggle to stand up to him rather draining.

More to the point, I question why I'm even bothering. Much as I like Shireroth, this is supposed to be fun, a hobby- not a chore. Now be honest: is Shireroth as much fun as it could be...as it should be?
Monty wrote:You are Kaiser. You have the power to direct Shireroth in whatever way you wish. Its your prerogative. Further to that, it was Erik HIMSELF who gave you that power. It may be his sandbox but he set up the rules of the sandbox and tough luck to him if it doesn't go the way he likes it. Your Dukes stand behind you.
Alright...I'm asking you guys now what you want to happen with Shireroth, right here, in private. If Erik doesn't agree then that's his problem. I raised the suggestion of a confederation/federation because that has been mooted many times in the past, by different people...yet because Erik always complains, it never gets tried. We give in to him. You may see it differently, that's what I think...we give in, because it makes life easier.

I'm happy to fight for you...to try something totally radical and to stand up to Erik's opposition. But if I'm going to do that, then I need you guys to want it to. It's not just about me.
Mira Raynora the Elder

Jonas
Lord of the Fries

Post by Jonas »

Monty wrote:You are Kaiser. You have the power to direct Shireroth in whatever way you wish. Its your prerogative. Further to that, it was Erik HIMSELF who gave you that power. It may be his sandbox but he set up the rules of the sandbox and tough luck to him if it doesn't go the way he likes it. Your Dukes stand behind you.
Hah! That would make him want a radical change to avoid that Kaisers can do radical changes. :lol:

Honestly, I have almost had it with Shireroth. We're perhaps a cultural project (or artwork) but that still needs an interesting framework to be worth something. I can't really say what it is, but the nation is simply no fun, and I largely blame the negative attitude towards change (any kind of change) for it.
Jake once proposed to secede Kildare (temporarily, and it was long before the Elwynnese secession) and I refused. Today I would likely say that we could give it a try until Shireroth had cleaned up its mess (don't worry, I'm not planning anything. Don't have the time for it =p ).
Important characters:
Frederik Alfons des Vinandy-Paravel, King of Batavia
Joseph Bartholomeus des Vinandy-Windsor, Prince-Regent of Batavia
Jin San, Diwang of Jingdao, Duke of Kildare

Mira Raynora Major
Bathtub Philosopher

Guys, if we're not satisfied with things as they are, then we need to do something...but even though I'm Kaiseress, I can't do it alone. Previous attempts to reinvent the country proved problematic because the Kaiser was driving through changes that a lot of people seemed to have issues with (whether at the time or later on).

I don't believe that periodic lulls in activity are anything to panic about, but there hasn't been any real forward progress on a national level all year. I would say that the last significant development was the re-establishment of the duchies, but even that was a case of looking back rather than forward. Now I've made it quite clear that I'm willing to take risks and to take the lead in pushing forward new ideas, but those ideas can't all come from me! I've made suggestions, based on what I thought people wanted, and the response has been lukewarm at best.
Mira Raynora the Elder

Monty

Post by Monty »

I'm behind it. I just think we drop the Dominion brand and just bump up the powers of Duchies to what a Dominion would be. A re-branding exercise really just to keep those who harp on about continuity happy.
Lord Montague

Balarak Alaiaon, Duke of Elwynn, Unifier of the Severed Duchy, Sequestrer of Disharmony

Also operating as Jean Carmichael, Duke of Evreaux, Speaker of the Imperial Assembly.

Mira Raynora Major
Bathtub Philosopher

I'm happy to entertain that...although just so that everyone is clear, such a move will transform Shireroth into a confederation.

But a number of you- whose opinions I respect- have been ominously silent. I'm not willing to go to all the trouble of rewriting the Charter and then dealing with Erik's inevitable outrage unless this is what a clear majority of you want.
Mira Raynora the Elder

Monty

Post by Monty »

In practice....but in name? I think we can still call it an Imperial Republic. We can sell it as that.
Lord Montague

ConglacioII

Post by ConglacioII »

The charter that's going through now, I think is a good, clear document to put is in a clear state to work from.

With that in place, a series of planned amendments, with careful wording that does not cause panic and fear about loss of pixels, can be put through. (those being to formalise the autonomy of the divisions, probably something to make creativity easier, and one on the elimination of the CJ-Giles personhood)

Mira Raynora Major
Bathtub Philosopher

First things first...I'd just like to apologise, to Scott in particular but also to the rest of you, for any part I might have played in the "Forum 568" debacle. I'm still not quite sure how CJ found out about the place, but it's almost certainly due to my decision to open this thread here.

Sorry, guys.
Monty wrote:In practice....but in name? I think we can still call it an Imperial Republic. We can sell it as that.
*nods* Keeping the name is a good idea, as it preserves a sense of continuity.
ConglacioII wrote:The charter that's going through now, I think is a good, clear document to put is in a clear state to work from.

With that in place, a series of planned amendments, with careful wording that does not cause panic and fear about loss of pixels, can be put through. (those being to formalise the autonomy of the divisions, probably something to make creativity easier, and one on the elimination of the CJ-Giles personhood)
Manage the transition in stages...that's a very sensible policy. The Charter currently being proposed doesn't go far enough for me personally, but I get the impression that everybody can at least live with it (or be encouraged to live with it) and it is certainly more coherent than the current state of affairs. So I think your approach is the probably the right one.
Mira Raynora the Elder

Elijah Ayreon

Post by Elijah Ayreon »

It's my fault. Carl and I spoke of Shireroth and he mentioned that you said something (which ive read here) so I assumed it was here. And I mentioned a reply and he said he hadn't seen it. I linked it... And he said that he had no access here... So you must have said the same in Sep.

I'm really sorry. Just remove my access.. sorry.
Elijah Ayreon-Dariolin of Waffle-Paine (no longer with us)

Ric.

Monty

Post by Monty »

Accident? Or part of an insidious plot by the Eliria Clique to destabilise the Imperial Republic? :twisted:

He asked me about it when it was first set up and told him I didn't know much about it.
Lord Montague

Elijah Ayreon

Post by Elijah Ayreon »

Haha.

But yeah, once I realized he didn't have access here I started going all mysterious on him. I suppose that fueled his suspicions.

Ric.

Monty

Post by Monty »

I think when he got persistent I said it was where Scott was plotting to get rid of Vasroe. That satisfied him.
Lord Montague

Elijah Ayreon

Post by Elijah Ayreon »

Damn! I should have said that!

Ric.

Mira Raynora Major
Bathtub Philosopher

Ah...well that explains it, at least!

What really gets me is that CJ clearly doesn't see anything wrong with having a private discussion about Shireroth and yet can't stand the idea of a private forum to which he hasn't been invited. Perhaps I should come over all paranoid too...Elijah! What exactly were you and CJ talking about? I demand transcripts!
Mira Raynora the Elder

Elijah Ayreon

Post by Elijah Ayreon »

I'm afraid that transcripts are out of the question... we had a voice chat on Skype. I'll see what I've got...
[2012-12-03 16:34:29] Carl Miller: Hej Ric
[2012-12-03 16:34:39] andelarion: ih
[2012-12-03 16:34:39] andelarion: hi
[2012-12-03 16:34:44] Carl Miller: How goes?
[2012-12-03 16:34:46] andelarion: i'll brb, need to restart the computer
[2012-12-03 16:34:48] Carl Miller: OK
[2012-12-03 16:50:13] andelarion: back!
[2012-12-03 16:52:41 | Edited 16:52:42] Carl Miller: WB :3
[2012-12-03 16:52:54] andelarion: thank you!
[2012-12-03 16:53:13] andelarion: a little bird whispered in my ear that you wanted to know about the ohl'tar
[2012-12-03 16:53:17] Carl Miller: Yes
[2012-12-03 16:53:20] Carl Miller: Can you voice chat? :3?
[2012-12-03 16:53:23] andelarion: sure
[2012-12-03 16:53:50] *** Call from Carl Miller ***
[2012-12-03 16:54:41] Carl Miller: When it was last election times, you had expressed interest in joining Safiria. Now that it is again election times, are you going to? :3
[2012-12-03 16:57:59] Carl Miller: http://bastionunion.org/forum/viewtopic ... 674&t=6056
[2012-12-03 17:02:19] andelarion: http://shireroth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=12540
[2012-12-03 17:03:59] andelarion: http://shireroth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=202&t=11137
[2012-12-03 17:04:22] andelarion: http://shireroth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=205&t=10916
[2012-12-03 17:06:00] andelarion: http://shireroth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=205&t=12115
[2012-12-03 17:10:57] andelarion: http://shireroth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=205&t=11279
[2012-12-03 17:11:13] andelarion: http://shireroth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=205&t=10950
[2012-12-03 17:11:37] andelarion: http://shireroth.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=205
[2012-12-03 17:13:29] *** Call ended, duration 19:40 ***
[2012-12-03 17:14:28] *** Call to Carl Miller, no answer. ***
[2012-12-03 17:14:38] *** Call from Carl Miller ***
[2012-12-03 17:15:23] andelarion: http://kiwi6.com/file/t9bt0s68rk
[2012-12-03 17:16:29] Carl Miller: Deltona, FL, USA
[2012-12-03 17:19:24] andelarion: Karesuando
[2012-12-03 17:19:32] andelarion: Trälleborg
[2012-12-03 17:19:43] Carl Miller: Malmö - Kiruna
[2012-12-03 17:19:49] andelarion: Trelleborg
[2012-12-03 17:20:49] andelarion: Kumla
[2012-12-03 17:26:45] andelarion: http://bastionunion.org/forum/viewtopic ... 295#p60024
[2012-12-03 17:26:55 | Edited 17:27:06] Carl Miller: A: "I think the law might need to be changed before this appointment could be made."
B: "What is the law provision that Lady A refers to?"
A: "I'm talking about the special provisions about how the Duchy of Gascony and the Ancient Marches is to be governed."
Harald: "That may be moot now because the Duchy of Gascony and the Ancient Marches are very likely to be traded with Batavia for Guernsey."
[2012-12-03 17:28:16] andelarion: http://vikings.invisionzone.com/index.php?showforum=243
[2012-12-03 17:33:34] Carl Miller: AD: "I am most dismayed at this development. Why would you allow me to lay claim to the Duchy of Gascony one day and then give it to Batavia the next?

At the very least, you should allow me to take a different title, like Dracojarla of Humlebæk."
[2012-12-03 17:35:18] Carl Miller: DECREE ON THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE DEPARTMENT OF THE ISLAND AND kingdom tongues

In Memory of Her Majesty Keldur, Humlebæks Queen who, a one hundred and nineteen years allegiance, founded the Academy on this island, so the children of this island be educated, be wise and be scholars,

DANIEL, BLOOD PRINCE, HUMLEBÆKS Ø DRAGEJARL, GREVE SHISHIN, HEIR TO Taarbæk AND ROYAL EARL In SOLØERNE, sends greeting and legislature:

I. The decree was written in English. The English text is the law.
[2012-12-03 17:35:52] Carl Miller: http://vikings.invisionzone.com/index.p ... topic=8061
[2012-12-03 17:36:40] Carl Miller: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk
[2012-12-03 17:37:55] Carl Miller: Eastward Ho!
[2012-12-03 17:39:32] Carl Miller: http://www.alphagrips.com/
[2012-12-03 17:39:52] andelarion: DECREE ON THE ESTABLISHMENT OF INSTITUTE FOR THE TONGUES OF THE ISLAND AND THE REALM

In memory of Her Majesty Kelde, Queen of Humlebaek, who, one hundred and nineteen years ago, founded the Academy on this Island, so that children of this Island would be eduacted, become wise and learned,

DANIEL, BLOOD PRINCE, DRAGON JARL OF HUMLEBAEK, COUNT SHISHIN, HEIR TO TÅRBAEK AND ROYAL JARL OF THE SOLAREYJAR, sends greetings and legislates:

This decree is enacted in English. The English text is affirmed as law.
[2012-12-03 17:40:59] Carl Miller: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:107-2 ... o_2011.jpg
[2012-12-03 17:42:39] *** Call ended, duration 28:01 ***
[2012-12-03 17:42:51] *** Call from Carl Miller ***
[2012-12-03 17:45:51] andelarion: http://bastionunion.org/forum/viewtopic ... 308#p60308
[2012-12-03 17:52:39] Carl Miller: [den 3 december 2012 17:45] andelarion:

<<< http://bastionunion.org/forum/viewtopic ... 308#p60308
[2012-12-03 17:58:52] Carl Miller: http://bastionunion.org/forum/viewtopic ... 318#p60318
[2012-12-03 18:04:53 | Edited 18:05:27] Carl Miller: IN THE IMPERIAL JUDEX

Case of

HER IMPERIAL MAJESTY THE SAFIR EMPRESS, also known as MAIA AŠURA,

Prosecutor,

v.

VILHELM BENKERN, Imperial Minister of Information,

and

JOHN DOE, Creator of Forum No. 568,

Defendants.

___

Now comes Plaintiff, one MAIA AŠURA, claiming suit against Defendants, VILHELM BENKERN, the Imperial Minister of Information, and one JOHN DOE, known only as the creator and owner of the Shirerithian forum numbered five hundred sixty eight, on the grounds that Plaintiff's inability to access said forum constitutes violation of the First Clause of Line IX.D.2.e of the Imperial Code of Law, viz.:
Unless otherwise noted, forums shall be visible from the board front page.
and furthermore calls upon the Arbiter of the Imperial Judex to dispense justice, under Subsection II.E.3 of the selfsame Imperial Code of Law, viz.:
Justice will be served.
[2012-12-03 18:12:34] andelarion: Forum leaders have authority to decide on the visibility of their forums.
[2012-12-03 18:18:29] Carl Miller: What do you like about Humlebæk Island that you wanna become its Jarla?
[2012-12-03 18:21:27] Carl Miller: AN ACT to make transparent the public records and proceedings of the Imperial Republic.

1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the Public Records Act 4868.

2. TRANSPARENCY OF PUBLIC RECORDS.

Excepting Secret Evil Plans and the Imperial Advisory Council, all fora of the Imperial Republic are to be freely readable by all of its citizens.

3. STATUTORY AUTHORITY.

This Act derives its statutory authority from the Second Clause of Line IX.D.2.b of the Imperial Code of Law, viz.:
Forums and forum leaders may also be changed freely by Landsraad legislation...
and from the First Clause of Line IX.D.2.e of the Imperial Code of Law, viz.:
Unless otherwise noted, forums shall be visible from the board front page...
4. EFFECT.

This Act takes effect immediately upon passage.
[2012-12-03 18:23:09] Carl Miller: Chapter IX of the Imperial Code of Law shall be amended by renumbering the present Sections 3 and 4 as Sections 4 and 5, and adding a new Section 3 as follows:
a. Excepting Secret Evil Plans and the Imperial Advisory Council, all fora of the Imperial Republic are to be freely readable by all of its citizens.
b. Creating a secret forum without the consent of a Board Administrator shall be considered treason against the Kaiser.
[2012-12-03 18:30:32] *** Call ended, duration 47:41 ***
Explanations:

We talked about the Ohl'tar and I gave him links.

He wanted advice on where he could go in Stormark (he is in Stormark) and I suggested my old jarldom because his (Gascony) is apparently getting sold to Batavia.

Once I realized that the Sun Chamber link was nothing for him, I started getting all quiet, so he asked me about it again, "what is in that link?" and I said "what link?" and he sent me the same link again at 17:52!

Ric.

Mira Raynora Major
Bathtub Philosopher

Umm...I was actually joking about wanting transcripts!
Mira Raynora the Elder

Return to “General Discussion”