Free the People!

Kaspar

Free the People!

Post by Kaspar »

(Arion Elenaran is Hurmu for "Palace of the Elenaran"; story from the old forums)

In the encampment of Dragustaðun, Aldin spoke. The men of Isam, among the most radical tribes of Hurmu by some standards measured, they, themselves, considered themselves to be traditionalists. The Isam still believed in the soul of nature... that the lakes had a soul each, the winds had theirs...

After Kanja Baldsdóttir, the last chief of Isam, had stepped down due to weaker health, Aldin had been charged to lead them. He was still young, but he was strong, having slain many lions and dragons in keeping his tribe safe. Now, at the age of 22, he was going to lead the tribe of 462 women, men and children.

After a few nights of celebrations, the men and women forming the Aldermen's Council of the Isam Tribe discussed sensitive issues and what they wished for by their new chieftain. After the deliberations, Aldin Vanadisarson took to words and spoke:

"Friends, my good friends, kinsmen, tribesmen, people of the Hurmu Isam -

"Today we will take these boats, we will take our boats from the lush landscapes of the Isammalandið, across the Cashma, to Huyenkula City. We will do this and we shall not be stopped.

"You have charged me to lead you, I, among you, am the youngest. Yet, I am strong and I have killed many a lion in defence of those weaker than me. You have charged me to lead you, to be your chieftain, and this chieftain holds no allegiance to any higher power than to the sanctity of the lakes themselves!

"Let there be no one above us. Let us protest! Let us encamp in the gardens of Arion Elenaran. With our tents and our campfires we shall sit in the gardens of Arion Elenaran and we will stay there until our people is free to rule themselves.

"Today, my friends, Hurmu is not free. It is neither democratic nor meritocratic. It is based on that which we abhor...

"Our Senate – for I am one of few Hurmudans sitting in that chamber – is composed of foreigners denying us our freedom. These foreigners are the ones opposing Hurmu people ruling themselves.

"Aye! To the gardens of Arion Elenaran!"

----------------------------------

Some days have passed now, and across the Cashma, the men of Isam have come. Along the avenues and boulevards of Huyenkula they walked, marching, carrying the banners of blue, their bows and their spears.

Finding the open gardens of Arion Elenaran, Aldin and his Isam-men camped at the main doors of Arion Elenaran: 100 men and women.

Aldin spoke to his men, encouraging them to hold on.

He symbolically knocked on the door, demanding that the Senate meet the Isam-men.

If they dared...

-----------------------------

Talsin heard a loud knock.

"Chairman Baarrnan, I think you need to come outside," an employee called from down the hall. The paperwork could wait, no one ever knocks on the doors of the Elenaran Palace.

It was a short walk from his office to the main entrance to the Palace. All of the public service staff were looking out the windows in amazement. It was a good thing today was slow with visitors, else there may be a small issue. Or the visitors would be looking outside themselves. Talsin couldn't be sure, he didn't know what was out there yet himself.

He opened the doors to a sea of blue. The Isam tribe were camped in the gardens in front of the Palace. Aldin stood before him, apparently the one who had knocked on the door in the first place. "Aldin, my friend...what brings you and your tribe to Elenaran Palace this fine day?" Talsin asked, hesitantly.

-----------------------------------
Polten, in dusty clothes, just returning from long voyages, enters the Senate. Unannounced. He's aware of the tension.

"Mr. Chairman, It seems that we have happy senators but unhappy people. They should be heard. The complaints are not new. We have talked about it but there were no decisions. This is our weakest point. We don't decide!

"We have to decide whether or not Hurmu will remain in Stormark. Aldin states that the Senate is controlled by foreigners. Many senators are strangers, that's obvious, but to call them all enemies goes too far.

"I ask you, mr. Chairman, to reopen the debate and to make sure that it will be conclusive. "

---------------------------

Aldin bowed to the men infront of him, them standing on the stairs toward the port of the palace, and spoke to them. He chose his words carefully.

“Senator Baarrnan, Senator Polten—
Thank you receiving us. The grievances of the tribe of Isam are important, but we are willing to compromise. I shall speak before the Senate in an attempt to bring a decision regarding Hurmu’s governance to a conclusion.”

With that, he entered the Senate, with the Chairman and Senator Polten also entering the house.

----------------------------

[/i]
Kaspar Soleimân
EMIR OF SATHRATI
TO ERMO-RA-ARAEZELION

Return to “Hurmu Archive”