On the Wiki

Bazâr Elîrion

Moderator: (Elwynn) Prince of Elwynn

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

On the Wiki

Post by Verion »

I would think it best that we maintain a wikipedia-like feel to the shirewiki. For that reason, I don't think it's smart to create a page for every nickname Elwynn has, but just redirect these links to one page, namely that of the Elwynnese Union. The different nicknames for Elwynn can be explained on that page as well. Otherwise the wiki would become too cluttered and might transform into an unpenetrable labyrinth which would only annoy visitors.
Last edited by Verion on Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1.Titus Morvayne, Prefect of Shirekeep, Count of the Skyla Islands
2.Eki Aholibamah Verion, Queen in the North
3. Ludovic Verion, Lord of Blackstone and Governor-General of the Iron Company
4. Jeremy Harwinsson Archer, super sleuth

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Re: On the Wiki

Post by Verion »

King Noah
"Plow my vulva!"

Post by King Noah »

Jack wrote:I would think it best that we maintain a wikipedia-like feel to the shirewiki. For that reason, I don't think it's smart to create a page for every nickname Elwynn has, but just redirect these links to one page, namely that of the Elwynnese Union.
In Wikipedia such pages are known as stubs. In other words: a short article in need of expansion. :doc:

In due course there will, of course, be more content added to those ShireWiki Articles. :up1:
Thorstein Noah Hallbjörns- og Esthersson of the Houses of Waffel-Paine‎‎, of Ayreon-Kalirion, and of the Descendants of Freyja
King of Elwynn
Prince of Natopia
Jarl and Grand Elector of Jorvik

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Post by Verion »

King Noah wrote:
Jack wrote: I would think it best that we maintain a wikipedia-like feel to the shirewiki. For that reason, I don't think it's smart to create a page for every nickname Elwynn has, but just redirect these links to one page, namely that of the Elwynnese Union.
In Wikipedia such pages are known as stubs. In other words: a short article in need of expansion. :doc:

In due course there will, of course, be more content added to those ShireWiki Articles. :up1:
My point is not that it doesn't have much content, but that those pages make the wiki cluttered and are quite irrelevant. Wikipedia redirects nicknames to the actual page, and on that page itself explains the various nicknames for countries or places.

For instance, City of Angels would redirect to Los Angeles, and on the page of LA, the nickname is explained.

I would prefer if we would take the same approach.

King Noah
"Plow my vulva!"

Post by King Noah »

Jack wrote:My point is not that it doesn't have much content, but that those pages make the wiki cluttered and are quite irrelevant. Wikipedia redirects nicknames to the actual page, and on that page itself explains the various nicknames for countries or places.
Those pages are about cultural/geographical terms in their own right and therefore require their own pages.
Thorstein Noah Hallbjörns- og Esthersson of the Houses of Waffel-Paine‎‎, of Ayreon-Kalirion, and of the Descendants of Freyja
King of Elwynn
Prince of Natopia

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Post by Verion »

King Noah wrote:
Jack wrote:My point is not that it doesn't have much content, but that those pages make the wiki cluttered and are quite irrelevant. Wikipedia redirects nicknames to the actual page, and on that page itself explains the various nicknames for countries or places.
Those pages are about cultural/geographical terms in their own right and therefore require their own pages.
I don't think that is necessary. Wikipedia doesn't do that either.

Continuator
"The devil in the details"

Post by Continuator »

I don't see the problem with the poetic names having their own stub articles but maybe it might be easiest for articles that make use of the poetic names to have their link direct to the Elwynnese Union main article, perhaps to a subsection of that article where the whole use of poetic alternate descriptions and the cultural rationale for their use is elaborated upon?

Noor bint Daniyal

Post by Noor bint Daniyal »

Nicknames and all could be all be built up in to a larger "Names of Elwynn" article, where what Elwynn is called in various Elwynnese languages, etymological theories (incl. folk etymologies), as well as the official names of Elwynn throughout the ages. Indie Elwynn changed its name like every other year :p
Noor as-Salaam
NOOR AS-SALAAM BINT DANIYAL UMRA SULEIMAN AYREON-KALIRION IBN AL-MAJEED AL-OSMAN BIN SATHRATI AF ETTLINGUM FREYU UMM ZAHIR AL-DIN OF WAFFEL-PAINE
Queen of Goldshire, the Elian Lands, Leng, Elwynn, Amokolia and Uppland

Continuator
"The devil in the details"

Post by Continuator »

Noor bint Daniyal wrote:Nicknames and all could be all be built up in to a larger "Names of Elwynn" article, where what Elwynn is called in various Elwynnese languages, etymological theories (incl. folk etymologies), as well as the official names of Elwynn throughout the ages. Indie Elwynn changed its name like every other year :p
On account of someone feeling that the name needed to be revised every time a random rock acceded to the union. :wink:

Noor bint Daniyal

Post by Noor bint Daniyal »

Prince Elijah suffered for his sins by both his health and the way he died....
Noor as-Salaam
NOOR AS-SALAAM BINT DANIYAL UMRA SULEIMAN AYREON-KALIRION IBN AL-MAJEED AL-OSMAN BIN SATHRATI AF ETTLINGUM FREYU UMM ZAHIR AL-DIN OF WAFFEL-PAINE
Queen of Goldshire, the Elian Lands, Leng, Elwynn, Amokolia and Uppland

King Noah
"Plow my vulva!"

Post by King Noah »

Thorgils Tarjeisson wrote:I don't see the problem with the poetic names having their own stub articles but maybe it might be easiest for articles that make use of the poetic names to have their link direct to the Elwynnese Union main article, perhaps to a subsection of that article where the whole use of poetic alternate descriptions and the cultural rationale for their use is elaborated upon?
This! :up1:
King of Elwynn
Prince of Natopia

Verion
Ayn Rand's toyboy

Post by Verion »

King Noah wrote:
Thorgils Tarjeisson wrote:I don't see the problem with the poetic names having their own stub articles but maybe it might be easiest for articles that make use of the poetic names to have their link direct to the Elwynnese Union main article, perhaps to a subsection of that article where the whole use of poetic alternate descriptions and the cultural rationale for their use is elaborated upon?
This! :up1:
That would be a workable compromise. Over all, I think that our intention should be to closely mirror Wikipedia. So no unnecessary pages or too many large pictures.

Return to “Elirian Bazaar”