War over Monovia?

Kaiser Ayreon II

War over Monovia?

Post by Kaiser Ayreon II »

Delegates,

The Imperial Republic of Shireroth notes with sadness and regret the rash decision of Our Imperial Cousin the Emperor of the Alexandrians to implement the new stringent measures against Monovia outlined in the Imperial Proclamation issued today in Geneva. We implore our friends as the responsible metropolitan power of Cibola to act responsibly. How can it be proportionate to retaliate against a rhetorical flourish from Directus with an act that is contrary to the norms of international relations, a gross and disproportionate violation of sovereignty and a crime against Humanity.

But worse than that. Will there not be those who say the Empire of the Alexandrians is manifestly guilty of the heinous crime of aggression? The institution of a blockade is widely understood in international law after all to be an act tantamount to war. Is that really what we have come to gentlemen? War, over Monovia?

Mordechai B.E.

Re: War over Monovia?

Post by Mordechai B.E. »

Could his Niftiness perhaps substantiate the following claims:
  1. That the Imperial Proclamation can be considered a crime against Humanity?
  2. That the institution of a blockade is considered to be an act tantamount to war in international law?
And in respect to the latter I would like to hear about micronational law, not macronational law.

Monty

Post by Monty »

Fellow Delegates,

I have been instructed by the Empire of the Alexandrians, of who I am still the Representative of in this Organisation, to deliver the following message:
The Imperial Government was authorised to execute a blockade of non-Alexandrian goods into the territory as a result of the Monovia Resolution passed by the Imperial Assembly. The Resolution's intention was to make it clear to the Ocian Federation that continued provocative acts against the Luthoria, the Emperor and the Empire as a whole was unacceptable and that the Empire was willing to consider harsh measures in its attempts to stop it. This was part of a diplomatic and political strategy to signal to the Ocian Federation that their behaviour was not constructive towards peaceful relations between the two states. Creating a Blockade was a tool which the Empire of the Alexandrians intended to use when dire circumstances that threatened the stablility of the Empire arose.

The Empire of the Alexandrians has organised this blockade of Monovia in full accordance with its inalienable right to self-defence. The Ocian Federation's recent move to create an Ocian Ministry of Luthorian Reintegration is tantamount to an Act of War against the Empire, threatening its territorial sovereignty. The Blockade is a direct response to the extension of the Raspur Pact to the Ocian Federation, guaranteeing it the protection of the Babkhan State. The threatened presence of Babkhan forces in Monovia, the south of our metropolitan provinces, is intolerable. It is therefore within the Empire's own sovereign rights to take measures to protect itself against aggressors such as the Ocian Federation and potential aggressors such as the Kingdom of Babkha.
Lord Montague

Balarak Alaiaon, Duke of Elwynn, Unifier of the Severed Duchy, Sequestrer of Disharmony

Also operating as Jean Carmichael, Duke of Evreaux, Speaker of the Imperial Assembly.
Oh and Eli Naveh too, Chief of the Ashkenatzan Naval Staff.

In Battle; Unbeatable. In Victory; Unbearable.

Matt Kovac

Post by Matt Kovac »

I would like to first of all begin by saying that Mr. Carmichael’s presence in this forum for intermicronational dialogue is an insult to this organization, its members and its founding principles. For one, he has made a mockery of the impartiality that his post demands by serving as the representative of a member state of the MTO while acting as secretary general. This not only brings into question the neutrality of the organization but it also subliminally conveys the message that a certain state (and undeniably this state’s interest) is above all other member states. In addition, it is quite ironic that Micras’ most notorious warmonger serves at the head of an organization founded to promote dialogue.

Above all, I wish to send a message of thanks to our friends in the Union of Elwynn, Amokolia, and Hurmu for their virtuous attempts to find a peaceful resolution to this situation. We should all strive to be more like the people of that great nation. As we now see, the Alexandrians are never interested in promoting peace, prosperity, reconciliation and dialogue- this has been demonstrated by their actions over the past 5 years. Not only did these hawkish imperialists slander the name of our comrade in arms after his death but also they readily displayed their willingness to participate in unethical practices such as infiltrations, email hacking/spamming and (attempts at) forum hacking. Despite even further provocations relating to Monovia; Ocia remained focused on its inward development and prosperity and we maintained a cool-headed approach.

To further aggregate the situation, Alexandria’s feckless emperor shamelessly flaunted the construction of luxurious palaces in our former territory of Luthoria at the cost of the Luthorian people- even as they endured such perils as starvation and occupation. Their departure from the Ocian Federation at the hands of their deluded ‘leader’ (seduced by promises of grandeur and power) meant a drastic decrease in the quality of life for Luthorians.

Fellow delegates, I have illustrated to you clearly that this belligerent state is a war-mongering occupier and its very existence is a threat to our Federation. We ask all nations to join us in liberating the Luthorians from oppression. We wish to release this formal position on the matter:
Matthew 26:52
Official Statement
The Ocian Federation is closely monitoring Alexandria’s shameful attempts to interrupt the peaceful lives of the Monovian people but their posturing has so far not affected the overseas territory. However meaningless their maneuvers are, they have opened the door to the possibility of Ocia utilizing all conventional and unconventional retaliatory measures at its disposal.

Monty

Post by Monty »

OOC: It was Shireroth who raised the issue not the EAH.... And I delivered the message, I didn't craft it.
Lord Montague

Balarak Alaiaon, Duke of Elwynn, Unifier of the Severed Duchy, Sequestrer of Disharmony

Also operating as Jean Carmichael, Duke of Evreaux, Speaker of the Imperial Assembly.

Maximos

Post by Maximos »

Apologies for interrupting, but I feel I should add that it was accepted at Ocia's defeat in the Amokolian War that President Kovac would cede all Ocian territory located outside the continent of Keltia to the victorious powers. See this thread, namely the words 'I put up all Dependencies/ Colonies up for grabs' (Kovac, 24/08/2009).

For some reason, Ocian Monovia was overlooked. As a result the legality of the Ocian presence there is still somewhat dubious, and this whole problem can be resolved by consulting the MCS once again like reasonable people.

Matt Kovac

Post by Matt Kovac »

Maximos wrote:Apologies for interrupting, but I feel I should add that it was accepted at Ocia's defeat in the Amokolian War that President Kovac would cede all Ocian territory located outside the continent of Keltia to the victorious powers. See this thread, namely the words 'I put up all Dependencies/ Colonies up for grabs' (Kovac, 24/08/2009).

For some reason, Ocian Monovia was overlooked. As a result the legality of the Ocian presence there is still somewhat dubious, and this whole problem can be resolved by consulting the MCS once again like reasonable people.

Unfortunately, your misrepresentation of the facts won't be getting anything from me. Even if I had done as you said, it was your nation's leadership's incompetence that allowed Monovia to remain free. If you read the bogus treaty that the war's corrupt 'judge' (...a citizen of Ashkenatza) signed on behalf of Ocia, you would see that since there is no mention of Monovia then there can not be any retrospective action taken.

Aster

Post by Aster »

What facts are he misrepresenting, Matt? Isn't Monovia a dependency?

I don't care if you don't recognise the judge - the judge recognises what you put 'up for grabs'. End of.

Matt Kovac

Post by Matt Kovac »

Aster wrote:What facts are he misrepresenting, Matt? Isn't Monovia a dependency?

I don't care if you don't recognise the judge - the judge recognises what you put 'up for grabs'. End of.
Instead of derailing the ongoing discussions on this matter maybe you should write a 'Newsflash' about it.

Newsflash- Ashkenatza failed to closely look at a map of Micras before making another sly land-grab.

Newsflash-This is all irrelevant now

Maximos

Post by Maximos »

Matt, you said 'I put up all Dependencies/ Colonies up for grabs'. As a result of that, Ocian territories on every continent save Cibola were transferred to the victorious powers. I am convinced Monovia's not being so was merely an administrative oversight on the part of the Judge- it is a dependency/colony, it is not on Keltia, and you owned it at the time of your defeat.

With all this in mind, I view your claims to it as debatable.

Mordechai B.E.

Post by Mordechai B.E. »

Who is the delegate for Ashkenatza here?

Monty

Post by Monty »

Yes, it would help to know....
Lord Montague

Nathan

Post by Nathan »

The most recent notification regarding Ashkenatza's representative named Guy Zalmanov/Guido Zambelis.
The ghost of Nathan Waffel-Paine

Aster

Post by Aster »

That's the executive orders archive - Nohsifabeln of the current administration are kept in Ruzhin palace itself. I'm Foreign Minister in the current administration, so I'll take over from here. Doubtless to say we support Alexandria in this instead of the 'frothing moron' as I think Max called him (very apt indeed). Check the 'Official statements' thread in the MoFA on Ashkenatza for our position on this. I'll reproduce it here later if that would be helpful.

Return to “General Assembly Archives”