Voting procedure discussion

Nathan

Voting procedure discussion

Post by Nathan »

It has been suggested that Assembly votes be counted based on the principles of timed democracy rather than a quorum. How do other representatives feel about the current voting procedure? I admit it get's pretty messy when every vote has to be extended when they all fall short by just one or two votes.

If we do switch to timed democracy, we should regulate it more than just setting a 5 day voting window. Perhaps only having voting periods start on Sundays at 6pm and then closing the following Saturday at 11:59pm. That way, all representatives will know to check the MTO every Sunday (thus giving non-Bastion members more of a chance to participate). It will also give representatives an entire week to check with their government on how to vote on controversial subjects if necessary. Also, it will give the MTO a little more formality.

Actually, even if we don't adopt timed democracy I think week-long votes starting on the same day every week is something we should adopt anyway :)
The ghost of Nathan Waffel-Paine

Daniel

Re: Voting procedure discussion

Post by Daniel »

The representation of Elwynn, Amokolia and Hurmu would like to propose the following draft:
A. When voting on a matter that is not amending any treaty of the Organization, the General Assembly or the Secretary General shall ensure that:

1. Voting on the proposed measure shall automatically start on the first Monday (defined by UTC) after the measure has been put before the Assembly when the measure has been proposed to the Assembly before a Friday.

2. Voting on the proposed measure shall automatically start on the second Monday after the measure has been put before the Assembly when the measure has been proposed to the Assembly on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday (defined by UTC).

3. Any case of voting shall last until the Friday of the same week.

4. When voting on proposed measures, members may vote in favour of the measure, vote against the measure or they may abstain from voting by indicating so. Members who are not present shall not have their vote recorded.

5. For the purposes of tallying votes, only the votes of those voting either in favour or against a measure shall be counted. A measure shall only pass when the votes in favour outnumber those against.

B. When voting to elect officials of the Organization, the General Assembly or the Secretary General shall ensure that:

1. There shall be one week of declaring candidacies. All candidacies will be filed with the Secretary General.

2. On the first Monday following the 'candicacy week', voting shall begin.

3. When voting on filling a position, members shall vote for one and only one candidate or, if believing that no candidate is satisfactory, refrain from voting for a candidate and instead vote "no to all candidates". Voting shall continue until the Friday following the Monday.

4. When tallying the votes, unless "no to all candidates" receives plurality, the candidate who achieves plurality of the votes shall be elected and fill his or her position with the organization immediately.

C: When voting on amending the Treaty of General Membership, the following provisions shall be applicable:

1. The General Assembly shall in the 'A' measure pass an amendment, to which the member States then shall ratify in accordance with their constitutional practices.

2. All States shall submit proof of their ratification of the amendment.
Recognizing that it may be rather wordy, the representation asks that any member with native proficiency in the English language changes the draft proposal so that it corresponds with good English practice. The representation shall, when satisfied that the amendments to this proposal are good, accept such amendments as friendly.

Or somethign like that :P

Yes.........
Ghost of Dâniyal the Dead
Disturb not my sleep!

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

Personally I'd just prefer straight timed democracy - but you could certainly move that to a week length if you want. Making it always start on a Sunday will drag things out too much, I fear.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave. But he does deserve a cool war ribbon.
However, this account still manages:
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn - Speaker of Nelaga, Minister of Interior Affairs, and a Micron

Jean Carmichael

Post by Jean Carmichael »

Again we need to define the legal entity of the Secretary General away from the person who holds the position. I would suggest that the Secretary-General has his own office or that we create the Secretariat of which the S-G is head? Otherwise with these motions I can't legally do anything the S-G needs to do in his absence as its invested purely in him. Unless that's your idea.....in which case I'll be rather sad.

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Mr Carmichael,

That is not necessary as the GM treaty already provides for the deputy secretary general to fill in the shoes of secretary general ordinary upon the absence of the latter.
Disturb not my sleep!

Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Are there any other representatives wishing to propose alternative systems or commentary on those already proposed?

Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I would like to propose an amendment to define and limit the role of alternates to vote in the Assembly:
D. Alternates may serve in stead of official representatives with the following provisions:

1. Alternates must be appointed by an officer or body of a member state constitutionally able to appoint representatives to the MTO. Credentials must be presented before Alternates will be recognized.

2. Unless explicit consent is given by the official Representative, or the government, of a member state, the Alternate will not vote or debate in the General Assembly.

3. The official Representative, or the government, of a member state, must include a finite period of time that the Alternate may act in stead of the official Representative lasting no longer than 14 days, when authorizing an Alternate.

Jacobus Loki
The plaything of capricious Archons...

Post by Jacobus Loki »

Reasonable!
Jacobus Loki

Once and Future King of the Ma'alanje
Prophet of Loki, Wielder of the Sword of Madness

Shireroth sumus. Tempus in parte nostrum est.

Guido Zambelis

Post by Guido Zambelis »

I believe this amendment to be unlawful as it would effectively permit the appointment of more than one representative contrary to section 1 of the General Membership Treaty. In addition, the amendment is obtuse and would create confusion rather than prevent it. It does not specify who can appoint "alternates", nor how many alternates can be appointed. As I have mentioned in another place, if the original delegate is not satisfactory then whoever has the power to do so in the sending country can simply appoint another person in their place - all it would take would be a post, which would the same - but clearer - than a post trying to activate an alternate.

Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I agree. I table my amendment. Also, if this procedure is passed it will eliminate the need for "quick alternates" since member states will have a whole week to re-appoint a Rep if their current Rep has gone inactive during the voting phase.

I think we should begin voting on the Representative from Riqi Adurellion's proposal.

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Honourable Representatives,

Given no further discussion, I move that the original proposal by Elwynn, Amokolia and Hurmu be considered by this Assembly in a vote.
Disturb not my sleep!

Andreas the Wise

Gralus votes NAY on this proposal as we would prefer timed democracy.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave. But he does deserve a cool war ribbon.
Q - Director of SAMIN

Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Isn't this essentially timed democracy? As I read the proposal only votes cast during the voting period are counted. There are no quorums or member percentages. The only major difference is that all votes start on Mondays instead of whenever they are proposed. I think having a standardized "Voting Day" will help get representatives from non-Bastion nations in more regularly and more involved (and being biased towards Bastion nations is something this organization has been accused of and should seek to alleviate those unfounded concerns).

Natopia votes AYE

Andreas the Wise

I don't like the idea of only starting on a particular day of the week, I feel that it could be extremely slowing for the organisation in the case of emergency resolutions - such as to prevent a war or provide humanitarian aid. I don't feel strongly enough about it to kick up a fuss if a bunch of people like it and it passes, but I don't like it in its present form enough to abstain.
Q - Director of SAMIN

Nathan

Post by Nathan »

In those situations the Sec-Gen can use his/her procedural override power to "set temporary voting and debate procedures to last in emergencies until canceled by 1/4 of the Assembly at anytime." If a war is brewing the SecGen can begin voting immediately and set a short voting period (3-5 days) for that particular resolution.

Either way, I'd certainly support a timed democracy procedure if this fails.

Andreas the Wise

Given that a significant part of the argument for this proposal is that it will make it easier for non-Bastion nations ... would it be worth alerting non-Bastion MTO members to the existence of this proposal so they can comment/vote on it?
Q - Director of SAMIN

Jacobus Loki
The plaything of capricious Archons...

Post by Jacobus Loki »

Shireroth respectfully supports the delegate from Gralus.
Jacobus Loki

Once and Future King of the Ma'alanje
Prophet of Loki, Wielder of the Sword of Madness

Shireroth sumus. Tempus in parte nostrum est.

Nathan

Post by Nathan »

A gross oversight on my part. I've sent notices to Stormark, Zealandia, Ashkenatza, A1, Alexandria, Ocia and IIR. I propose that we extend the current vote to allow time for them to respond.

Brian Barry

Post by Brian Barry »

A1 ABSTAINS.

Timed democracy is a much better alternative to quorums, especially in a community of different timezones.
Me

Matt Kovac

Post by Matt Kovac »

The Ocian Federation votes in favor of this motion.

Yes

Return to “General Assembly Archives”