[Competition 4F] Pelagivision

Scott Alexander

[Competition 4F] Pelagivision

Post by Scott Alexander »

Last week's religion and AC contests were both popular, so I'm going to continue the tradition of having both a serious contest and a fun contest each week. This is the fun contest.

This is a bit like Eurovision or Microvision, but not as stupid.

Post the YouTube video of your favorite song that best conveys the spirit of your statelet. It can be a very abstract, emotional connection - maybe the song is majestic and powerful and you think of your statelet as being majestic and powerful - or it can be a song whose lyrics explicitly talk about something dear to your statelet's heart. It can even be a song whose musical style is typical of the style you expect would be popular in your statelet's culture.

If the connection's less than obvious, you might want to post a short explanation.

Prize will be probably rather fewer expansion credits than in the serious contest, but still enough to make it worth your while.

To post YouTube videos, post the end of the YouTube link in [youtube] and [/youtube] tags. For example, if you're linking to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD2RxEGkCIg, use (youtube)kD2RxEGkCIg(/youtube) with square instead of round brackets.

Aryeztur

Re: [Competition 4F] Pelagivision

Post by Aryeztur »

The ecstasy of life in Aryasht:

The Great King, King of Kings, King of the World

Alicorn

Post by Alicorn »

This song is evocative of the general shape of Mevwan's history:

Demon of Fides

Post by Demon of Fides »

Let's face it, the colonists don't talk much.
Hier post ich, ich kann nicht anders

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

I think this captures Those Who Shelter Words fairly well. There's a sense of grandeur (in my head that's surveying the shining towers standing bold across the rugged face of the snowtopped mountain, but I haven't got to describe that to you yet), there's some sense of tension and army (the golems, definitely), and there is a great sense of longing at the end for something better (in our case, the days before the Great Silence when all the words were known, and a hope that one day all the lost words may be rediscovered, not just the limited amount they know now).

As an entirely non-Archipelago related bonus, this next song is exactly what goes through my head when I think of the new Micron Empire on Istvanistan. One day I might get back to actually writing more about them and bringing the song's vision into reality.

(and yes, this is entirely indicative of what I like to listen to =p )
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave. But he does deserve a cool war ribbon.
However, this account still manages:
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn - Speaker of Nelaga, Minister of Interior Affairs, and a Micron

ari
Grim Auxiliator

Post by ari »

Well, I could do the boring thing and enter a song that describes Lant. The choice is a little bit on the obvious side:

But that's not my entry! Since this time I can actually enter something that's about Resplendence instead, and that *is* what my statelet actually is about, let me do the more challenging thing and come up with a song to describe that place instead. Hmmmmmm.... I'm tempted to pick something from the Arcanum soundtrack because of the similarities in the setting. But that's not what it's about...

I KNOW! Not everything about this song fits (few lives in Lant or Resplendence are "consumed by slow decay")... but a lot of it does. I'll go with this fun cover that I actually (mildly) prefer to Pink Floyd's original:

Lord Furniture
Not even partially responsible for Malarboria; will take the blame for Caverden, though!
Tallest and therefore Greatest of the Janitors
Eternal Watcher of #micronations

Illuminarch Nicholas

Post by Illuminarch Nicholas »

The culture and lifestyle of the Omega Complex is fascinating, exciting, lively, and at times, a bit dark. The tropical foliage provides a decadent backdrop for the scientific facilities in the various Sectors. I felt that Gershwin's last great masterpiece before his passing serves as the perfect piece to outline all things Omega: the good, the bad, and the mysterious.

The whimsical strings and powerful brass add the majestic and powerful tones, while the cunning and sly solos of the clarinets and oboes add a darker seductive sound. The overall product is a piece that exemplifies the technology and culture that occupies our paradise.
Illustro est via

Sammy J McMillan

Post by Sammy J McMillan »

LOL jk.

Sammy J McMillan
ANTICAN LIBERATION DEVICE. Allow curiosity to seduce ya: http://www.bastionunion.org/forum/viewt ... =320&t=992
Citizen of the Republic, friend of :sammyj:
In the quotes thread, Ardy wrote:You know, you are a bit of an arse - even by the standards of this hobby (which is an achievement).

Scott Alexander

Post by Scott Alexander »

We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.
How soft your fields so green, can whisper tales of gore,
Of how we calmed the tides of war.....we are your overlords.

So now you'd better stop and rebuild all your ruins,
For peace and trust can win the day despite of all your losing.
Maybe not my favorite song, but I think the lyrics fit, and the sense of ominous arrogance is definitely there. This is definitely how the Drachumvelin would have been thinking around Year One, although now they're starting to get a little more self-aware.

Illuminarch Nicholas

Post by Illuminarch Nicholas »

It may be a bit late, but here is something that epitomizes the class, grace, and dash of danger/horror in Omega. One of my favorite piano compositions from a modern composer thus far.

Illustro est via

Return to “Contest Archives”