Safiria
3%
Swynndyrr
No votes

Total votes: 36

Scott Alexander

[Voting] Flags

Post by Scott Alexander »

Eith Korphorin wrote:Thank you to everyone who sent the flag of their statelet to fly over the new Senate building. Omi Oitherion wanted to be able to evaluate them himself, but I'm afraid he's very busy this week and won't be able to attend. As such, I feel the fairest way to decide whose deserves pride of place is by the popular vote. Each Senator may cast three votes, for eir three favorites. The winner will be the single flag with the most votes; if two flags are tied, I will give seven hundred fifty expansion credits to each. I will allow about two or three days for voting.

Anyone may vote, whether Senator or passer-by. You may vote for your own flag if you honestly think it best, but please be honest and choose your two other favorites to grace with a vote. The winner will receive a valuable artifact and fifteen hundred expansion credits.

ARYASHT: I use the flame to represent the burning light of civilization. After all, fire is an important Aryan symbol, both in India and Iran. That flag, however, is the same as my old country, Aryez and it was made for me many years ago.What disturbs me is the moon symbol (crescent), Aryans are of course more sun people than moon people. Regarding the first flag, the symbol looks sort of like the to part of the Hindu symbol Om ॐ so it should suffice.
COL: The Flag of the Union. Other local flags available here
DRACHUMVE: Based on the old flag of Raikoth, the Star and Spiral. The Spiral represents seeking without end; the Star what is being sought. The Drachumvelin flag is red instead of blue to symbolize the greater aggressiveness of the Drachumvelin strategy and perhaps the event of Drachumve's divergence from Raikoth
DROMOSKER: It represents the horror of the struggle to survive and the centrality of mana to that struggle
FAVORED: The five diamonds represent the five bastions. They are white diamonds because we have come to symbolize the white diamond for our society and we feel that, should any of the other bastions have survived, we would share a common bond. The blue field represents the sea. The black field represents Basin. Well, I suppose that name does not mean anything to you, but be assured it means much to us.
LONGINQUISSIMA INSULA:The flag of Longinquissima Insula is actually the banner of the Legion known as the Hammer of Rundus. The ox head was always their sigil, but it was viewed as especially fortuitous that the Ercha people placed such significant on the yak, another bovine species. The Ercha adopted it as their flag too, since they approved of the idea of Rundus/Runda, an ox god.
MERVEILLES: The flag of the Tetrarchy of Merveilles emphasizes the equality of the Houses and their geographic location. The southern quadrant is for House Amours, their land is bounded on both sides by the Merveilles River. Therefore the northern quadrant is that of the House of Rubis; their land is bounded on two sides by the Great Neroles Mountains. Both the Amours and Rubis are red to show their natural affinity for each other, just as the Dagues and Matraques share a color. The east quadrant represents the land of the Matraques, and the west land is Dagues as both those Houses' lands have mountain and river borders. Where the quadrants meet, the tips have been inverted in color to represent the central capital of Quadropoli, which is neutral.

The flag's design evolved as soon as the four Houses coalesced into cohesive units and was originally a rudimentary square divided into four equal squares. Increasing interaction with outsiders began to worry the Houses, which lead to the creation of the office of Sovereign and the foundation of Quadropoli which in turn necessitated a more sophisticated flag design. The flag was created by a member of the House of Amours, which is responsible for most of the artistic output of the Tetrarchy. The flag's adoption as an official emblem of Merveilles required unanimous approval from the Congress of the Four Lords, a rare occurrence indeed.
MYËË SËYËE: The blue symbolises both the sky and the water; the only two things that border the true Myëë heartland (the two islands), and the peace of the utopian community. The yellow represents the islands' beaches and the optimism of the community. Lastly, the beige stands for simplicity; the simplicity of the language as well as the community's hierarchy.
MEVWAN: The Mevwan flag is divided to represent the differences between its two component species, but symmetrical to represent our shared and mirrored interests. The Zaee are represented in the top half (because we came from above), with a gold field after the bright color the engines burned; the Zaee ourselves are represented with a twist of red because of the common colorations of our hair, skin, and occasionally eyes. The humans are represented in the lower division, with a field of white for the snow that was on the ground when their friends fell, and the humans themselves are represented with a twist of green for the eye color most common in Mevwani humans. The dot between the twists represents the capital Delo-Kyan, colors reversed from how the twists are placed, with its intermixed population.

Facilities that want to advertise their specific compatibility with one or both species will sometimes fly a tapered streamer in green or red or one of each, like the twists on the flag, to denote this.
RESPLENDENCE:Yeah, it's in the Straylightian tradition: Dick around in XaoS until you find some kind of an interesting, generally not very fractal, shape that arises from the interaction of the true-colour colouring modes and some of the fractal algorithms. In fact there *was* a tiny little fractal there in the center but I edited it out as it just looked like a dark smudge in the image. In case you're wondering about the gap, the diagonal lines going almost through the center are actually slightly curved, they probably have the same asymptote but curve off each other just enough to make space for the fractal itself. Here's the XaoS position definition (since I'm still kicking myself for not saving Straylight's original flag's position definition - I have never been able to find it in XaoS again, and the current flag in fact is different from the original):

;Position file automatically generated by XaoS 3.5
; - a realtime interactive fractal zoomer
;Use xaos -load <filename> to display it
(initstate)
(defaultpalette 0)
(formula 'sier)
(angle 60)
(maxiter 1)
(outcoloring 10)
(incoloring 10)
(intcoloring 6)
(outtcoloring 7)
(plane 3)
(view 0 0 500 500)
SAFIRIA
SWYNNDYRR: We give you our flag

- The red tail represent the Swnndyrrr people. It also represents the blood of the hunt and the blood of battle, for the Swnndyrrr are traditionally proud descendents of hunters and warriors.
- The grey tail represents Reiðârraat, the progenitor of our people and the fox-god whom guides us.
The {9/3} Enneagram, a star constructed of 3 triangles, has several meanings:
- All together, the triangles are a symbol of unity, with one each representing mind, body, and spirit.
- The orange triangle specifically represents body, and is a symbol of masculinity. It is an important symbol for hunters, soldiers, smiths, the orange- and red-furred individuals, and the family Korrnge.
- The yellow triangle represents mind, and is a symbol of femininity. It is an important symbol for scientists, mathematicians, engineers, the tan- and white-furred individuals, and the family Yttrrun.
- The blue triangle represents spirit, and is a symbol of childhood. It is an important symbol for doctors, artists, entrepreneurs, the black- and grey-furred individuals, and the family Naarai.

Craitman

Re: [Voting] Flags

Post by Craitman »

Talk about bad timing. Just added Myëë Sëyëe's flag to the other thread as you were posting this :P
Craitman H. Pellegrino, King of Craitland
COH, CrA, GKOC, GKRB, HGH, KHL, KOD, KY, NM, OCC, ONSGK, OSJ, SJSJ, SOB, WSA
Administrator General of the MCS
FMF President
Lord of Humour

Scott Alexander

The Autokrator is apparently merciful and has added your flag to the poll.

That means everyone who already voted needs to re-vote. I THINK I got in before anyone else voted, but if not, please cast your votes again and sorry for the inconvenience.

Kallinn Ynnetrrr

Post by Kallinn Ynnetrrr »

RRR! RRR! RRR! :p

Also, my flag looks a lot more awful on a screen that isn't my netbook. I really need to clean it up...

Winged One

Post by Winged One »

Are citizens allowed to vote in these contests?

Scott Alexander

Ah, looks like Eith forgot our lone non-Senator citizen :) Yes, of course, go right ahead.

Scott Alexander

Eith Korphorin wrote:Thank you to everyone who sent flags for the redecoration of the Senate building. The flags will take their rightful place just as soon as the Resplendent-Wordshelterer construction conglomerate we've hired to handle the installation gets their act together.

The results of the vote are in, and I am pleased to announce that the Bifurcate Adhocracy of Mevwan has won by a sizable margin. They win fifteen hundred expansion credits, which they can use to expand into new territory (contiguous only, please), trade to other countries that want to expand on mutually agreeable terms, or hold in reserve until such time as they wish to do either of the above.

They also win, as promised, a golden flagpole. Our contractors have been slightly more proactive in this regard and have already installed it in a place of honor in Delo-Kyan.

Thank you to all participants. Those statelets that did not participate but wish to have their flag represented can still send it to the Office of the Autokrator at any point.

Yours,
Eith Korphorin

ari
Grim Auxiliator

Post by ari »

(I was busy getting my act together uploading flags the very moment you posted that, sir!)
Lord Furniture
Not even partially responsible for Malarboria; will take the blame for Caverden, though!
Tallest and therefore Greatest of the Janitors
Eternal Watcher of #micronations

Alicorn

Post by Alicorn »

We are thrilled to accept this award, and note with pride that fewer than half of our votes came from our own populace. The residents of Delo-Kyan are adding the Golden Flagpole to recommended tourism itineraries as we speak. Thank you, one and all.
Signed, Iriwande, Self-Appointed Minster of International Participation-in-Things.

Return to “Contest Archives”