SINGULARITY: Sequencer

Illuminarch Nicholas

SINGULARITY: Sequencer

Post by Illuminarch Nicholas »

Tracy observed the computer monitor with a sort of fascination as the screen filled with page upon page of gene sequences. In a matter of minutes, thousands of A’s, T’s, C’s, and G’s were scrolling down the screen at a rapid pace. It was a triumphant moment for Kelly.

“Dr. Vaughn, how are those sequences coming along?” said a man’s voice entering the lab. Tracy smiled and looked backwards.

“Rob, you don’t need to call me ‘Dr. Vaughn’.”

“I know Tracy. Just wanted to see your reaction.” He replied.

“Well okay, Robert Locke, ranger and game warden for the Vivarium. How’s that?” Tracy said. Robert laughed and moved towards the computer monitor.

“Amazing, how a bunch of those little letters together make up a living animal.” He said in awe.

“An extinct animal, to be precise.” Tracy corrected him. Robert shook his head.

“There’s definitely a reason why I didn’t pursue a career as a geneticist and I chose game warden instead. My brain hasn’t exploded yet.” He said jokingly. Tracy gave a look. Robert gazed at the monitor. It was whirring and various letter combinations were cascading down the page. He looked down.

“You still don’t approve, do you?” Tracy said. Robert didn’t look up. Tracy stayed still.

“I’m not sure what your problem is with the new program, Robert, I really don’t. It’s a great way to reintegrate these animals. What a splendor they are! Just a few weeks ago we released an entire herd of Plurasaurus. The way they leap through the grass… without this technology, we would never have known. And I know how much you love driving in between the legs of those colossal Celesteterra; you would never be able to do that without this technology. You wouldn’t that car either. Or a job.” Tracy said.

Robert shrugged his shoulders.

“Tracy, it’s not the plurasaurs or the Celesteterra or the other dinosaurs you guys have revived. It’s the carnivores that I’m worried about. I was absolutely terrified when you set loose that pair of Lacrimolophosaurus. Absolutely terrified. We have two 4-ton meat-eating animals wandering the Vivarium now.” Robert said.

“Equilibrium, Robert, it’s for the ecosystem to equalize. It’s necessary!” Tracy retorted.

“Then why add these animals?” Robert asked. Tracy wished that he could understand.

“These Visceralestes occupy a specific niche in the ecosystem. We need them.” Tracy said. Robert didn’t seem convinced. He pulled out a clipboard from a bag he was holding. He began reading off some of things on the paper:

Small carnivore; about 1.5 meter tall and 3 meters long. Fossil evidence shows they were pack hunters and deadly; once they have chosen a prey item, fatality is almost certain.

“Do I need to read more, Tracy? Because you seemed to have written a lot.” Robert said.

“You know, just forget about it. Release is going to happen as scheduled, whether you like it or not. I am sorry that you disapprove, but it’s a key species that we are almost done sequencing. Our Genen-Grow machines will quickly cultivate them, and in no time we’ll have our own pack of Visceralestes sanguiphagia here in the Vivarium.”

Robert looked skeptical and worried. Tracy smiled and walked up to him.

“I know you’re worried, but everything’s fine! Trust me. Now, let’s go get something to eat, because I am starving!” Tracy said. Robert conceded a grin, and the two left the lab overlooking the Vivarium. As Robert Locke closed the door, the computer gave off a beeping noise, signaling that sequencing had completed.
Illustro est via

Return to “Omega Complex”