Brief History and Premise

Aryeztur

Brief History and Premise

Post by Aryeztur »

The ancestors of the Arya originate in the Reg desert to the west of Aryasht. These people were nomadic horse riders who gradually migrated into Aryasht, moving downstream the Pavitra river, assimilating the native people, though adapting many of their customs. The native people prior to the Arya migration had recently adopted farming and a settled village mode of life; this was soon also adapted by the Arya, most of whom settled down in fortified towns and villages and formed several independent statelets. However, the proto-Arya who remained in the Reg desert remained nomadic pastoralists, and became a separate but related people called the Arii. The Arii looked down on the Arya and vice versa.

In about 300 years, this culture gave rise to the Pavitra River Valley civilization which slowly expanded north and south in a slow wave as colonists moved out of the crowded river valley and displaced or assimilated the native peoples in their vicinity. Within a hundred years, the wave had reached the ocean in the south and stopped. To the north, it reached the Mahan river which was quickly colonized for its fertile land and then the Khandav forest, at which point the wave subsided due to heavy resistance from the forest dwellers, many of whom adapted elements of civilization from their neighbors and thus provided a northern barrier to expansion from the south. Although the southern part of the forest was brought under the control of the kingdoms on the Mahan river and partly assimilated, the northern part was not. Attempts to bring their nomadic desert neighbors under control were also not successful, and thus the geographical area of Arya civilization coalesced. Around this time, some settlers also crossed into the previously uninhabited island across the sea known as Dwipa. For around 200 years hence (400-600), Aryasht as the land became known was divided into many feuding kingdoms until the Kingdom of Akhilesh which controlled all of Dwipa conquered the rest and founded a permanent capital at the mouth of the Pavitra River in Sthan, called Aryapur. This kingdom's government was centralized and roads and fortifications were built. Attempts to bring the forest and desert under Aryashti control failed however. However, Arya cultural influence spread north and south along the coasts and the desert nomads adopted some civilized practices, some settling down in oasis. However, due to incursions, the numerous fortifications and walls were build on the borders to protect the land and fence it in. Nonetheless, caravans continued to enter from the west.

*Note, the huge chunk of land that the Reg Desert is only enters this story for the sake of ancient history. I do not claim it in the present and anyone else can claim that piece of land and displace the people living there, who are only needed there for a few years to seed Aryasht.

Many of the other entities here are based on various elements such as magic, mythology, and the like. True, there is some element of mythology in Aryasht, but Aryasht is primarily based on history and political philosophy/sociology. It is a simulation based on these elements and how they would work out in a potential utopia. Thus, it is not a fantasy simulation.
The Great King, King of Kings, King of the World

Aryeztur

Re: Brief History and Premise

Post by Aryeztur »

Aryasht is a contraction of Arya and Rashtra, meaning country of the Arya. The language of the Arya people is Aryik (आर्यिक) or Aryik Zaban.

This brings me to the issue of conlanging. I love conlanging and I find it to be a fun and rewarding hobby. However, conlanging takes a lot of time and effort and often is a solo activity without appreciation or help. I want to dedicate my time to working out the culture and history of my statelet rather than creating a magnificent language that nobody will learn, least of all myself, especially when I am in a job field where I have to focus on learning real languages, something I find harder to do as I get older. Therefore, in line with my currently adapted practice regarding conlangs, "real world" languages will substitute for conlangs in my statelet. Like the case for Aryezi, Sanskrit will substitute for classical Aryik and Hindi-Urdu for modern Aryik. Being aware that these languages constitute many borrowings, these borrowings will be explained in world as coming from invaders and traders.
The Great King, King of Kings, King of the World

Return to “Aryasht”