Where to go from here

Management of the simulation and out-of-character discussion
Carl Jackson

Re: Where to go from here

Post by Carl Jackson »

Emir of Raspur wrote:How does that work in the context of the pre-existing relationship between Hyperborea and Shireroth or Aryez and Antica. Safiria is a whole paradox I probably don't want to contemplate.
You could follow Homestuck's lead and work it in the context of Years in the future, but not many…

Scott Alexander

Post by Scott Alexander »

How does that work in the context of the pre-existing relationship between Hyperborea and Shireroth or Aryez and Antica. Safiria is a whole paradox I probably don't want to contemplate.
It works either by secession or getting creative. I favor secession, but I'd be up for some creativity too.
You could follow Homestuck's lead and work it in the context of Years in the future, but not many…
Nah, then we end up with the same problem we had the last time - a perfect sandbox of limitless possibilities, but which is completely removed from the rest of the world and all its hustle and bustle. If we want to make this work better, we've got to work it into the same simulation as Babkha and Antica and Shireroth and the rest. Otherwise it's like a beautiful sports car a thousand miles away from any road or anyone you can show it off to.

Aryeztur

Post by Aryeztur »

I would agree with moving to Micras but I am of the opinion we should get them to create a new medium sized continent and put all the projects together there.
The Great King, King of Kings, King of the World

Harvey
Ghost of Christmas Past

Post by Harvey »

So instead of one man running a one-man micronation, we'll end up with one man running two one-man micronations.

Eh, whatever you guys want. The Favored's backstory couldn't survive this move so I'm out.

Jacobus Loki
The plaything of capricious Archons...

Post by Jacobus Loki »

If it stayed out of Micras I could move the FRC in......... :twisted:
Jacobus Loki

Once and Future King of the Ma'alanje
Prophet of Loki, Wielder of the Sword of Madness

Shireroth sumus. Tempus in parte nostrum est.

Emir of Raspur

Post by Emir of Raspur »

Scott Alexander wrote: It works either by secession or getting creative. I favor secession, but I'd be up for some creativity too [...] we've got to work it into the same simulation as Babkha and Antica and Shireroth and the rest. Otherwise it's like a beautiful sports car a thousand miles away from any road or anyone you can show it off to.
Yes, I can see how that could drive a narrative.

Aryeztur

Post by Aryeztur »

No it wouldn't be a one man micronation. I expect that if we move to Micras, we will have to confederate.

Scott Alexander

Eh, whatever you guys want. The Favored's backstory couldn't survive this move so I'm out.
...as opposed to what? I'm only doing this because many of the most devoted Pelagians, including yourself, formally bowed out. If you have plans to continue the Favored, that makes me much more excited about the option of staying on Pelagia and I would definitely shelf this idea.

I'm not really sure what you mean by two one-man micronations. I assume I would be running Hyperborea and Aryeztur running Aryez and so on.

Harvey
Ghost of Christmas Past

Post by Harvey »

I was merely reconfirmming my outness, though this suggestion makes it less of a personal choice and more of a statelet destroyer. But, as I said, you should do what you feel is best.

Aryeztur

Post by Aryeztur »

Scott, he means that if we were to have a new continent or landmass in Micras, we would presumably just move our nations from here to there. So you would have both Hyperborea and Galinomai, I would have both Aryez and Aryasht and so on. Of course the feasibility of my idea isn't that great so it's probable we'll end up with your idea. Then we have to deal with the secession issue.

My main problem is the fact that I effectively scrapped Aryez and now the focus of my cultural work is Aryasht. That being said, if we move back to micras, I'll probably just replace Aryez with Aryasht in the same physical land space.

Kaiser Reynardine II

Post by Kaiser Reynardine II »

I dunno, SwnnHalla on Micras seems...odd. I'm unsure of Micran Swnndyrrr confederating and seceding from Shireroth, Toketi, and Hurmu to form an independent nation.

Aside from my IC uncertainties, I don't know if moving them to Micras will particularly make things better. I mean, I'd probably just scratch SwnnHalla and put what little effort I can muster towards Toketoshal and Asantelian. As Harvey said, it's a bit of a statelet destroyer, mostly because most Pelagian statelets are based off post-apocalyptic scenarios of existing Micran entities.
AKA Kallinn Ynnetrrr
ALSO Kalasien Baarrnan/Liam ronToketi

Orion
Full of shi... err.. stars!

Post by Orion »

If I were to move to Micras, I would have to gain all or part of old Audentior, since that is essentially what Apollantis is - and I doubt that would happen, nor do I want to initiate a gripe-fest to achieve it. Corey actually sums it up pretty good.

I think moving to Micras would pretty much defeat the purpose of the Archipelago Project. I'm still adamant that we could use some sort of Atkins reduction of the big powers on Micras and a sort of reset to clear up space in order that we let new ideas and projects take root and flower. Yeah it means sacrificing some of the old stuff; but haven't we held onto this stuff long enough? Are we that greedy that we can't let go of a few useless spaces?

Scott Alexander

So nobody has any plans for Pelagia, but nobody wants to move to Micras. We appear to have reached a sort of standoff.

I guess we could morph into a worldwide terrorist organization dedicated to the liberation of Audentior et al from their current owners. Worldwide terrorist organizations are always fun.

Orion

Post by Orion »

I'm not against moving to Micras. But it seems like I could be more productive for the community as a whole if I devoted my work to help pull existing states through the muddy waters of inactivity. This idea was devised to draw more people to the hobby, which it hasn't really achieved. In fact, it seems we've lost a few more people (Fides, for example). So maybe it's time we rethink our strategies.

Maybe we can move our statelets to MicroWiki with the express clarification that we're "fantasy micronations".

Scott Alexander

Although it pains me to say so and my soul is probably at risk of going to the PRH, we could also try opening up Pelagia to Micran countries - for example, allowing Shirerithian, Babkhan, etc, "colonization efforts". That might pump some life into it. If people prefer the Pelagian system, they might stick around and focus activity more on our side.

Carl Jackson

Post by Carl Jackson »

We're all doomed to the People's Republic, Scott. It's just a matter of who gets the chair. That said, we should probably open up Pelagia to Micran states.

Aryeztur

Post by Aryeztur »

Nobody really likes their land in Micras. We could try to convince the Micran states to switch maps from Micras to Pelagia.

Jacobus Loki
The plaything of capricious Archons...

Post by Jacobus Loki »

Where is the map?
Jacobus Loki

Once and Future King of the Ma'alanje
Prophet of Loki, Wielder of the Sword of Madness

Shireroth sumus. Tempus in parte nostrum est.

Orion

Post by Orion »

If we're going to open it up to Micras, then why not just open up Momiji (or make Pelagia one of the adjacent planets) for colonization and thereby link the two feasibly?

Return to “Control Room”