• Providential hope for new micronation
  • Religious “disorder” strikes
  • [CBC NEWS] PM Speech: A Non-Aligned Movement for Peace and Prosperity
  • Malarbor Says
  • Where to go from here

Management of the simulation and out-of-character discussion

Where to go from here

Postby Scott Alexander » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:27 pm

I was hoping to include Shy in this discussion, but I really don't know when he'll be back, so I'll start it now with my own ideas that are pretty poor.

A lot of people say they're still interested in Archipelago, but none of them feel any motivation. This isn't anyone's fault; if the system were good, it would make people want to participate. I don't know how to make the system better, but I'm open to just trying everyone's random ideas that I shot down before and seeing if any of them work. In particular:

1. Open Archipelago up to foreigners. Unnoticed by everyone, I actually did this several weeks ago, but people didn't start kicking in the doors. Maybe we should advertise on the MCS? Is there any way to do this without looking like jerks and/or spammers?

2. Harvey wants to get rid of ECs. I'm willing to try anything at this point, but what would replace them? How would such a system work?

3. People are tired of writing and role-playing, and I sympathize, but I don't know what the alternative is. If we're not writing or role-playing, what are we doing?

4. Alicorn doesn't like the timescale; she wants it to go slower. If everyone agrees with her, I'll replace the timescale. If it's half and half, we can either add "time scale" to the things that the telluric fields modulate, or we can just ignore that issue and play all chronology by ear.

5. One thing I was thinking of was to add a sort of "security council" to the World Government of a few statelets that are very active and developed. Part of it is that when there are twenty statelets, and the vast majority are totally inactive, it gives the place an inactive vibe and makes interaction less likely, and if we were to move all the really active forums for the top and give them their own category in which activity was high and expected, that might help. It could also give people an incentive to do politics and try to make their way into the security council.

...yeah, that's about the limit of what I've got. Not very impressive, is it?
    Scott Alexander

Re: Where to go from here

Postby Carl Jackson » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:09 pm

1. We should advertise on the MCS. How, I have no idea :/
    2. Like the MCS does it? Again, I have no idea.
    3. We need to do more collaborative things, like sports and recwars and the like.
    4. Way back in Ostentia, we had week = one year, so we could have elections every month (four years). Maybe we could use the same timescale here.
    5. Yes, although I think it should be four permanent seats for traditional world powers, plus three nonpermanent seats for the most active countries.
    Carl Jackson

Postby Orion » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:49 pm

I'm sorry I haven't been active here, I'm simply very, very short on time right now. I have a lot of ideas, but haven't had more than a few minutes at a time to sit in front of the computer and write them out. And honestly, when I do have the time, I'm so tired lately I don't feel like writing... Anyway, bitching aside, I do want to keep working on Apollantis.

1. Design some banners people can add to their sigs at the MCS and start replying to threads, even in the OT, just to get them up and in view.

2. Don't know. I don't see much point to them and am not a fan of the whole rigid system since this is supposed to be a freeform art.

3. Collaboration requires a commitment of time, a commodity most of us are lacking. I would love to collaborate on writing stuff, but I don't see how that's possible when I'm only online for about ten minutes a day. Feel free to offer work-around suggestions.

4. Doesn't matter to me.

5. Okay, I can see pros and cons to this. What if the permanent seats go inactive? A fully elected security council might be a better way to go.
    Orion
    Full of shi... err.. stars!

Postby Aryeztur » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:08 am

What's an EC?

As for point 3, there's an alternative. Instead of con fiction, one can do con history, con politics, con anthropology, or whatever. I've managed without getting bored. Maybe other people are more inclined towards fiction rather than "fact"?

But I agree strongly with CJ that we need to do more collaborative things. A sense of community ought to be built up.

4. I think we should take it slower but seeing how a lot of people have just been doing their own thing regardless of the time, I don't think it is too big an issue.

5. I can see the pros and cons to this as well.
    The Great King, King of Kings, King of the World
    Aryeztur

Postby Harvey » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:44 am

I'm probably going to have no further part to play in this / anything. I dunno, I feel that we as a hobby have grown too small, poisonous, and generally lazy. I don't think it's doing good things for me personally.

Consider this a blanket apology for... eh, everything ever, and good luck with the future of Archipelago.
    Harvey
    Ghost of Christmas Past

Postby Kaiser Reynardine II » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:37 pm

I'm in the same boat as Ryan. I'm kinda stretched thin micronationally already, and now I'm pretty busy IRL working and trudging through the rest of my degree (I'm taking 3 upper level maths and an upper level German composition class both this term and next term, on top of some other classes). And my motivation hasn't been the best lately either, so things aren't looking up until I get a break from school.

I'm pretty impartial to most the suggestions made. The security council is a good idea, but yeah, it should probably entirely elected, no permanent seats. Opening up to foreigners still kinda sounds like not the best idea to me, but I won't outright oppose it, seeing as I have no better suggestion.
    AKA Kallinn Ynnetrrr
    ALSO Kalasien Baarrnan/Liam ronToketi
    Kaiser Reynardine II

Postby Scott Alexander » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:57 pm

I'm currently on a surgery rotation that keeps me very busy, and with Harvey and Alicorn both bowing out I don't see a believable path to renewed activity.

I will continue posting things in Galinomai if I feel like it, but at the time I cannot commit to a full revival attempt for Archipelago. CJ or anyone else is welcome to try one if they have ideas.
    Scott Alexander

Postby Kaiser Reynardine II » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:54 pm

I think school (in its various forms) is the main obstacle for many of us. I assume you've started residency, Scott? Or internship? (Sorry, you've probably mentioned it somewhere I could find it and I haven't noticed). Andreas (I assume) and I, at least, are getting towards wrapping up our degrees. A lot of other potential participants from Gralus started university last year, so not much here to work with.

Then I assume many of the rest (Shy, Ryan, and Harvey come to mind first) are caught up in personal and/or professional lives.

We all just seem to have gotten busy at the same time, and for me, Archipelago was the most appropriate place to let alone until time opens up again. :(
    AKA Kallinn Ynnetrrr
    ALSO Kalasien Baarrnan/Liam ronToketi
    Kaiser Reynardine II

Postby Scott Alexander » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:01 pm

I assume you've started residency, Scott? Or internship?

I still have another year before that particular variety of fun.
    Scott Alexander

Postby Andreas the Wise » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:17 pm

It just hasn't caught my interest. Which is funny, because despite being busy I have had cool ideas for Novatainian/Gralan/Nelagan stuff and want to pursue them after exams; but Archipelago just hasn't done it for me. I think it's the sort of thing you need a really interesting state concept you can explore, and time to explore it, and I don't have both. You can probably count me out from now on.
    The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave. But he does deserve a cool war ribbon.
    However, this account still manages:
    Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
    Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
    Q - Director of SAMIN
    Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy
    Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
    Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn - Speaker of Nelaga, Minister of Interior Affairs, and a Micron
    Andreas the Wise

Postby Jacobus Loki » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:35 pm

Looks like my kind of thing, but I'm trying to use what time I have in/for Shireroth. and neighbors.
    BTW, the small Commonwealth forum seems to indicate that we've been invaded form a parallel universe?
    Jacobus Loki

Ducal Baron of Greater Yardistan
    MoMa of the Imperial Republic
    Once and Future King of the Ma'alanje
    Prophet of Loki, Wielder of the Sword of Madness

Shireroth sumus. Tempus in parte nostrum est.
    Jacobus Loki

Postby Carl Jackson » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:06 pm

Natopia (and possibly others) are doing an invasion plot involving a parallel Meekras where SPEAR and the GC are still things.
    Carl Jackson

Postby Scott Alexander » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:32 pm

So, here's my last desperate thought on how to save this project.

Archipelago was originally supposed to be on Micras; a haven for one-person culturally focused Micran countries. A whole mob of people yelled at me and said Micras was stupid and boring and made me change it to a new universe. Then when I agreed, they all left and went back to Micras, which they liked much better.

Would anyone be interested in either moving the current Archipelago concept to Micras, or in an Archipelago-type project set on Micras that could interact with other Micras nations?
    Scott Alexander

Postby Aryeztur » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:35 pm

How would you work out the geography of it?
    Aryeztur

Postby Harvey » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:40 pm

Archipelago was originally supposed to be on Micras; a haven for one-person culturally focused Micran countries. A whole mob of people yelled at me and said Micras was stupid and boring and made me change it to a new universe. Then when I agreed didn't agree and insisted it was in the future, a future I controlled completely with in character abilities I never stopped bringing up, they all left and went back to Micras, which they liked much better.

Hmm, were you saying something?

In any event, no. I don't think that's what's wrong. There's just only so many times you can describe a country's government and holidays and postal code before you realize you're sort of in a vacuum by yourself and nothing matters. It's the same reason we see, and don't care about, so many one-man micronations.
    Harvey
    Ghost of Christmas Past

Postby Jacobus Loki » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:48 pm

Would anyone be interested in either moving the current Archipelago concept to Micras, or in an Archipelago-type project set on Micras that could interact with other Micras nations?

As long as it was immune from Shirithian citizenship restrictions.........
    Jacobus Loki

Ducal Baron of Greater Yardistan
    MoMa of the Imperial Republic
    Once and Future King of the Ma'alanje
    Prophet of Loki, Wielder of the Sword of Madness

Shireroth sumus. Tempus in parte nostrum est.
    Jacobus Loki

Postby Scott Alexander » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:18 pm

In any event, no. I don't think that's what's wrong. There's just only so many times you can describe a country's government and holidays and postal code before you realize you're sort of in a vacuum by yourself and nothing matters. It's the same reason we see, and don't care about, so many one-man micronations.

Well, I was kind of thinking part of the problem was that we weren't able to take advantage of the vast majority of micronational interaction possible - that being the stuff going on on Micras.
    Scott Alexander

Postby Aryeztur » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:02 pm

My question?
    Aryeztur

Postby Scott Alexander » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:46 pm

Aryeztur - I was thinking we would start with preexisting Micran states - Hyperborea, Aryez, and the like - and also allow people to claim new territory under the Archipelago name if they wanted. I recognize that there's not a lot of great territory, but that'd be the price we pay for living in the same world as everyone else.
    Scott Alexander

Postby Emir of Raspur » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:50 pm

Scott Alexander wrote:Aryeztur - I was thinking we would start with preexisting Micran states - Hyperborea, Aryez, and the like - and also allow people to claim new territory under the Archipelago name if they wanted. I recognize that there's not a lot of great territory, but that'd be the price we pay for living in the same world as everyone else.

How does that work in the context of the pre-existing relationship between Hyperborea and Shireroth or Aryez and Antica. Safiria is a whole paradox I probably don't want to contemplate.
    Emir of Raspur

Next

Return to Control Room