• Malarbor says
  • And now a message from our sponsors
  • Karnia-Ruthenia adopts drug control
  • Reviving some footage
  • Speaker's Sunday Speech [5]

Management of the simulation and out-of-character discussion

Speaker's Sunday Speech [5]

Postby Shyriath » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:39 am

1. Archipelago has a new Speaker. This ends the self-reference portion of this speech.

2. ...Nothing? Obviously, Archipelago's slump has hit a pretty severe low point when almost nothing happens for a week or more. Especially sad is the fact that no one has entered the last contest despite it being three weeks old. Part of the blame may be put on the traditional "summer slump" phenomenon, but by no means all.

Speaking from my own experience, I've been a little bored; Kennerext has gotten to the point where it can interact with other statelets, and it's going to have to in order to make any sort of further progress, but the interaction I'm currently involved in seems, er, stalled, and the current state of things has been making me wonder whether, if I tried collaborating with anyone else, I would get a response. Is it just a matter of a lack of momentum?

If anyone has some thoughts on the current situation, I'd like to hear them.
    Shyriath Bukolos, AKA Shyriath Farstrider, Count Bukolos of the Condo, Harbinger of Cheese
    Orders and Awards
    TOTUS MUNDUS TABULAM RASAM EST
    Shyriath
    CONDOLORD

Re: Speaker's Sunday Speech [5]

Postby Harvey » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:11 am

Sorry. It really did seem fun at the time. But I too am feeling rather stalled and I'm having trouble with Archipelago's general concept as a whole. Plus it's never been more clear that pretty much nobody feels the same way I do about things like this. Everyone wants an Archipelago that can go dormant for a year and spring to life if someone has a good idea... kay, it's gunna be a looooong slump.
    Harvey
    Ghost of Christmas Past

Postby Demon of Fides » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:09 am

M'kay... I'm willing to abandon NEXUS if someone else wants to do a dialogue story?
    Hier post ich, ich kann nicht anders
    Demon of Fides

Postby Carl Jackson » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:17 am

I feel like interaction, but there's no-one with whom to interact. :(
    Carl Jackson

Postby ari » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:24 am

I have an excuse too!

That being that founding a Straylight 2.0 didn't really work because now every time I get a vaguely Straylight-ish or Resplendence-ish idea, I can't decide which place to put it in, and end up doing nothing about it. And Lant, well, Lant's only purpose was to be a bit boring so as to act as a foil for Resplendence in the first place. So, Lant and Resplendence will definitely be removed. They will probably be replaced with something... eventually... but nothing I can think of sounds that interesting at the moment...
    Lord Furniture
    Not even partially responsible for Malarboria; will take the blame for Caverden, though!
    Tallest and therefore Greatest of the Janitors
    Eternal Watcher of #micronations
    ari
    Kauppasaksavainolainen

Postby Kaiser Reynardine II » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:27 pm

Sorry, I got a lot of things going on right now both in micronstions and real life. I killed my car (and almost my motorcycle), some emotional issues with some people, a shitton of schoolwork (last year hopefully, so I have a bunch of 400-level maths), family stresses, depression flaring up, another possible awful disease scare to get checked on, and this is compounded with trying to run Gralus's football league and being Kaiser of Shireroth. I really do want to get back to SwnnHalla, but there's just so much going on.
    AKA Kallinn Ynnetrrr
    ALSO Kalasien Baarrnan/Liam ronToketi
    Kaiser Reynardine II

Postby Andreas the Wise » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:57 pm

Combination of epic busyness and not being super excited about the project I picked for Archipelago (though I can't think of anything better so I'll leave it there for now). You'll know I'm slightly less super busy when I start posting some Novatainian development I've been thinking about over the last month, but that won't help Archipelago much.
    The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave. But he does deserve a cool war ribbon.
    However, this account still manages:
    Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
    Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
    Q - Director of SAMIN
    Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy
    Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
    Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn - Speaker of Nelaga, Minister of Interior Affairs, and a Micron
    Andreas the Wise

Postby Shyriath » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:46 am

So, we have epic busyness, artistic dissatisfaction with own statelets, not-posting-because-others-aren't-posting, and possibly trouble with Archipelago's very direction...

This is gonna be rough.
    Shyriath Bukolos, AKA Shyriath Farstrider, Count Bukolos of the Condo, Harbinger of Cheese
    Orders and Awards
    Shyriath
    CONDOLORD

Postby Scott Alexander » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:09 am

Sorry. It really did seem fun at the time. But I too am feeling rather stalled and I'm having trouble with Archipelago's general concept as a whole. Plus it's never been more clear that pretty much nobody feels the same way I do about things like this. Everyone wants an Archipelago that can go dormant for a year and spring to life if someone has a good idea... kay, it's gunna be a looooong slump.

What's the alternative here? I don't feel like declaring "no one can ever go inactive, if they do I'm closing their statelet" would make people more active. It would just make them less likely to stop inactivity later.

I feel like interaction, but there's no-one with whom to interact. :(

Since like three people have said there, there seems to be some kinda market failure going on here.

I kind of think Ari and Andreas have the right idea, in that most people started statelets within a few days of Archipelago being set up, and the likelihood of just randomly coming up with a great idea that encourages you to continue developing it on the spot is pretty low. It certainly was for me, and I had to throw out my original plan and shift to something more interesting. I totally encourage anyone else considering that to go for it.
    Scott Alexander

Postby Carl Jackson » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Alternian outpost on Pelagia, anyone? :P
    Carl Jackson

Postby Shyriath » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:49 am

Scott, check your PMs...
    Orders and Awards
    Shyriath
    CONDOLORD

Postby Aryeztur » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:18 am

The interaction problem has also been one of my biggest gripes here.

As I suggested before, I think a big factor in this is the continued IC rather than OOC perspective everyone takes. IC interaction- you have to post then wait for the other person to post back all the while guessing at what the other person is going to post. IC is better for stories and scenarios but OOC is better for daily normal interaction.
    The Great King, King of Kings, King of the World
    Aryeztur

Postby Scott Alexander » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:41 am

How would you suggest fixing this?
    Scott Alexander

Postby Harvey » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:35 pm

edit: nah, scratch all this. Going to try again.

I think my main issue with Archipelago is that I found out pretty much at Archipelago that I'm not a collaborative roleplayer and don't want to be. Like, few months ago I had this idea of working with Mevwan to compare Favored and Mevwan views on religion. My view on this would be some sort of essay almost, like a scholar versed on both of the religions was comparing and contrasting them. But Alicorn wanted to set up characters and a plot and a conversation played out in real time, and as soon as I started to play along and named a character and found a scenario to get him into Mevwan to ask about the religion and Alicorn says there are no churches or religious authorities really. I guess a roleplayer would have been able to deal with that, but my impulse was overwhelming "OH FUCK THIS" and I gave up on that idea and most interaction in disgust. Not really trying to complain about her specifically since it seems everyone is kind of wanting to do this sort of thing but I just flat out don't.

Going a step further, I think the main block to collaboration and interaction is that we're all writing stories with plots, and all the little details are in our heads, and so having meaingful interactions are nigh impossible. Maybe this is my fault by starting that diary backstory, but that was designed as an (admittedly much longer than anticipated) introduction to the statelet and I wasn't planning on doing stories for everything. But story culture caught sprung up about everywhere, and it's HARD to get into story culture without throwing lots of hours of planning and writing and rewriting, and honestly I think we're all far too lazy for that.

Anyway Scott, I've had multiple ideas that you've ignored (memory hints: abolish ECs, compete with MCS) so don't play the "What's the alternative?" game with me. You know we've both disagreed on the general philosophy on this place since day one. If you're sticking to your guns about what you believe then I am pretty much done trying to fight against it, but that does mean I'm not going to debate it any more either.
    Harvey
    Ghost of Christmas Past

Postby Alicorn » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:32 pm

I still like Mevwan, and I expected the colonization arc to get me to step up and write some more stuff, but at this point it's just fiction writing - I was going to get Winged to play the barbarian natives but he doesn't want to, so it'd be me talking to myself. I don't actually object to writing my own fiction without a co-writer, but I can do it in more rewarding ways. I can write Elcenia and get a chatroom full of two to five beta readers to emote hearts at me for pasting them bits of draft and quote me at each other and laugh at my jokes, then publish the chapter and get more comments in the TV Tropes discussion thread. I can write a short story and get six hours of conversational material out of it with a particular friend, post a link to it on Google Plus and watch my traffic spike. Or I can write a post about Mevwan colonizing the lake environs and listen to the crickets chirp.
    Alicorn

Postby ari » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:10 pm

Yeah, we've been like that since forever. Quiet and generally not very fond of providing feedback on creative writing. I'm one of the worst, even (my excuse is that I'm a Finn). One thing I'm considering doing is that next time I post some writing I'll tell people to comment as if they were editors trying to find every fault in the story, not as if they were random micronationalists/pelagians who either have or don't have some opinion about the story. I'd do it for two reasons: One, that way I'd probably get more useful feedback, and more feedback in general, and two, I seem to be encouraged more by criticism than by praise anyway, so it might get me writing more.

I don't think Archipelago should quite be a club for aspiring writers, mind you. But I don't know if there's a lot we can do to turn these old micronationalists into a particularly supportive bunch either. Hell, I recall that back in the day Scott once complained at Hypatia's Mom (more or less the only person who I ever saw consistently tell people they rock when they did stuff that even vaguely rocked) for being so positive all the time. Though, then again, I'm pretty sure he understands the purpose of being like that better now (if he doesn't, he needs to watch more MLP). Maybe we could try posting more "melikesthis!" even if we feel a bit uneasy about it?
    Lord Furniture
    Not even partially responsible for Malarboria; will take the blame for Caverden, though!
    Tallest and therefore Greatest of the Janitors
    Eternal Watcher of #micronations
    ari
    Kauppasaksavainolainen

Postby Aryeztur » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:20 pm

I agree with Harvey and Ari. I viewed this project as an alternative to a Micras which had become too blotted and filled with existing nations and trends, preventing anyone from taking a new direct more in line with their heart's desires. I didn't think it would become a writing club, though I'm in favor or some writing to supplement things.
    The Great King, King of Kings, King of the World
    Aryeztur

Postby Shyriath » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:06 am

I've already let Scott know this, but I don't want the task of telling everyone else to be dumped on him. There was a death in the family on Friday night. I have the very strong feeling that, at least for a while, I'm not going to be in the right frame of mind to be of help in Archipelago; I know I'm not right now. I hate leaving everyone in the lurch, but I'm not going to be able to fulfill the duties of Speaker. The same goes for my duties on the council of the MCS, and I've already informed the other Council members that I'm resigning.

This is the worst of times for this, and I'm sorry. But I need to sort out my own head, and I don't know how long that will take. It may be a while before you hear from me.
    Orders and Awards
    Shyriath
    CONDOLORD

Postby Demon of Fides » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:27 am

Take as much time as you need. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Hier post ich, ich kann nicht anders
    Demon of Fides

Postby Andreas the Wise » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:04 am

Yes, Fides put it perfectly. I'll definitely keep you and your family in my prayers.
    The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave. But he does deserve a cool war ribbon.
    However, this account still manages:
    Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
    Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
    Q - Director of SAMIN
    Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy
    Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
    Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn - Speaker of Nelaga, Minister of Interior Affairs, and a Micron
    Andreas the Wise

Next

Return to Control Room