Autokrator's Sunday Address, Year 105

Management of the simulation and out-of-character discussion

Autokrator's Sunday Address, Year 105

Postby Scott Alexander » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:11 pm

1. People are finally starting to take advantage of the EC system - specifically, Kennerext and Mevwan have both expanded their territories in the past week. Kennerext has also added a new city to the map - the Beacon of Xalt. See it here.

2. Activity in the statelets has mostly been the usual suspects. There are, however, some rumors of submersible activity in the seas of Eorlas keeping the powers of the area on edge.

3. Reports have reached World Capital of strange and inscrutable transmissions from Byzantipol. Rumors range from an attempt to test a new code, to the entire island having been taken over by some sort of "mind virus". No one in World Capital has quite the courage to go investigate.

4. Fides has proposed a new recwar system, bringing the ratio of available recwar systems per people who want to recwar up to 240:0.

5. Corey, CJ, and Shyriath seem to be our candidates for Speaker (Alicorn, do you want to run for reelection, or were you only going to do that if no one else wanted to). Who can bring greatness to our society? Who has the skill and subtlety to rule in World Capital? Who can actually get the city a better name than "World Capital" sometime in the next three months? I'll open an election thread soon.

6. I declare myself the winner of the Issues Contest. Don't like it? Tough. +1500 EC to Galinomai. As the only entrant, Alicorn wins National Personification. +1000 EC to Mevwan.

7. And this week we have Competition 15: Advertising. May it go down in legend as the first contest in quite some time not to fail in some sort of hilarious way.

8. Due to some opposition, I don't think I'm going to open Archipelago up to outside organizations/countries just yet. I might change my mind on this if things get too slow around here or the quality of outside organization shifts drastically. Also, if any particular outside organization wants to join Archipelago, talk to me, and we may be able to work something out in your specific case without opening the gates to everyone and their brother. Also, anyone who wants can bring this before the Senate.
Scott Alexander

Re: Autokrator's Sunday Address, Year 105

Postby Harvey » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:21 pm

Ehhhhhhhhh

Disappointing all around really.
Harvey
Ghost of Christmas Past

Postby Kallinn Ynnetrrr » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:30 pm

I'm not running for speaker, it's grossly out of character for my nation.

Also, I did invite a few outside people, and several said it's something they'd be interested in, but they all said they don't have the time
Kallinn Ynnetrrr

Postby Scott Alexander » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:06 pm

If you personally want to be Speaker, and your only objection is that it's out of character for your nation, then let's talk. We could either create an unusual SwnnHalla character, or someone else could lend you control of one of their countrymen. Heck, the original vision of Archipelago was that everyone would be welcome to be a dual-cit in as many countries as they liked, so if you want join some other statelet as a different character and run as them. You're totally welcome in Galinomai.
Scott Alexander

Postby Kallinn Ynnetrrr » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:19 pm

Actually, I might have an idea. I'll get back to you once I've thought it through.
Kallinn Ynnetrrr

Postby Alicorn » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:45 pm

I don't want to campaign. I'll be the default emergency backup Speaker, if this election goes like the last one and the winner evaporates and the runner-up doesn't want the job, or something.
Alicorn

Postby Harvey » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:02 am

I protest not winning at least a second, let alone a first, in the Issues contest. Furthermore, I protest Mevwen getting a hefty prize for a contest nobody entered - not to diminish their work, but the point of the contests is to encourage interaction and state development, not to give out ECs. An empty contest is a failed contest. 500 ECs in good faith for their entry seems more fitting.

And I want to know why you backed out on the opening things up scheme? Do you have any particular reasons, or have things been so CRAZY AND WILD around here lately that you just can't keep up?!
Harvey
Ghost of Christmas Past

Postby Demon of Fides » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:04 am

I want to recwar...
Hier post ich, ich kann nicht anders
Demon of Fides

Postby Scott Alexander » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:26 pm

I protest not winning at least a second, let alone a first, in the Issues contest.

If I gave myself a first and you a second, then Corey and Aryeztur would rightfully ask why the double standards, since you beat all of us alike. If I gave you a first, that would encourage further non-serious entries to contests and be unfair to people who put a lot of work in.

Furthermore, I protest Mevwen getting a hefty prize for a contest nobody entered - not to diminish their work, but the point of the contests is to encourage interaction and state development, not to give out ECs. An empty contest is a failed contest. 500 ECs in good faith for their entry seems more fitting.

I gave out only half the usual prize of 2000 EC for exactly the reasons you mentioned. I guess I could've halved it again to 500, but I figured the point was made.

And I want to know why you backed out on the opening things up scheme? Do you have any particular reasons, or have things been so CRAZY AND WILD around here lately that you just can't keep up?!

There aren't a lot of people who I still am close to in this hobby, and both Ryan and Corey seemed to oppose it, and I didn't want to ruin things for them. That having been said, things have gotten worse since then, so if you want to open the map up, I'm up for that.
Scott Alexander

Postby Carl Jackson » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:02 am

Scott Alexander wrote:Who can actually get the city a better name than "World Capital" sometime in the next three months?

Nisiopolis (Νησίούπολις Ni̱síoúpolis, “Island City”).
Carl Jackson

Postby Octavius » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:25 am

Pelagiadome.
Аїомидє Оћтавион

Hesam wrote:Trains are very efficient at making long lines of people dead, and I suppose they could also be used for transportation or something.
Octavius

Postby Carl Jackson » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:36 am

That could be the main stadium in Nisiopolis :)
Carl Jackson

Postby Harvey » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:44 am

Scott Alexander wrote:
I protest not winning at least a second, let alone a first, in the Issues contest.

If I gave myself a first and you a second, then Corey and Aryeztur would rightfully ask why the double standards, since you beat all of us alike. If I gave you a first, that would encourage further non-serious entries to contests and be unfair to people who put a lot of work in.

But it actually won. I don't really know why the majority of the people voted for it, but they did. If a cheap zinger is worth voting for over actual entries, well, no offense to anyone involved, but that's not exactly flattering.
Harvey
Ghost of Christmas Past

Postby Kaiser Reynardine II » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:50 am

Bartertown, then the main stadium can be Thunderdome.
AKA Kallinn Ynnetrrr
ALSO Kalasien Baarrnan/Liam ronToketi
Kaiser Reynardine II

Postby Shyriath » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:36 am

*Had suggested "Pelagiapolis" for the city name* Though Nisiopolis is less likely to get misspelled.
Shyriath Bukolos, AKA Shyriath Farstrider, Count Bukolos of the Condo, Harbinger of Cheese
Orders and Awards
TOTUS MUNDUS TABULAM RASAM EST
Shyriath
CONDOLORD

Postby Andreas the Wise » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:08 am

Pelagiapolis sounds cool.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave. But he does deserve a cool war ribbon.
However, this account still manages:
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn - Speaker of Nelaga, Minister of Interior Affairs, and a Micron
Andreas the Wise

Postby Demon of Fides » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:16 am

I vote Pelagiapolis.
Hier post ich, ich kann nicht anders
Demon of Fides

Postby Aryeztur » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:57 pm

I reject that name since -polis is a Greek root and that implies a Western bias. However is that name is selected, I will accept it.
The Great King, King of Kings, King of the World
Aryeztur

Postby Orion » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:18 am

Scott Alexander wrote:There aren't a lot of people who I still am close to in this hobby, and both Ryan and Corey seemed to oppose it, and I didn't want to ruin things for them. That having been said, things have gotten worse since then, so if you want to open the map up, I'm up for that.

My only protest is that I don't want this to feel like a chore, and already it's turning into that. But voice my opinion as I might, at the end of the day it's your show, so do what you want. I'm not so juvenile as to ragequit anymore, but don't expect me to keep up with an influx of hyper newbies, nor penalize me for not doing so. I'm doing this at my own pace. Nuff' said.
Orion
Full of shi... err.. stars!

Postby Kaiser Reynardine II » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:21 am

Scott Alexander wrote:There aren't a lot of people who I still am close to in this hobby, and both Ryan and Corey seemed to oppose it, and I didn't want to ruin things for them. That having been said, things have gotten worse since then, so if you want to open the map up, I'm up for that.

I'm gonna say I'm in the same position as Ryan, in that I have reservations about it, but it's not something I'm gonna leave over if you go ahead with it. If people really want to do it, I've no place holding it back as one dissenting voice.

As long as we keep the informal nature like we have now, I'm gonna be fine with it. Again, my nation being neutral, apathetic, and laid-back is a reflection of my own attitude. I don't want to be hassled.
AKA Kallinn Ynnetrrr
ALSO Kalasien Baarrnan/Liam ronToketi
Kaiser Reynardine II

Next

Return to Control Room