Autokrator's Sunday Address, Year 55

Management of the simulation and out-of-character discussion
Scott Alexander

Autokrator's Sunday Address, Year 55

Post by Scott Alexander »

1. SLOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW.

2. In last week's contest, Harvey's "Praisefist" won Gestures by a mile, and everyone's a winner in collaborative interaction. Harvey gets 2000 EC and all six participants in Interaction get 1000. Time to vote in the Geography Contest and Metacontest. And for this week, our beloved Speaker wants to see your phrasebooks.

3. Map 8.1 is out, same location as always. I added Tabjun, took a few islands away from Makaranesia to keep Aryeztur happy, and shrunk Malitiiki a little in case other people wanted to claim in the same area.

4. Welcome to our newest participant, Leo. The recruitment drive certainly went well, but contrary to my expectations that old micronational problem - that we can recruit people okay, but none of them ever stick around to figure out what's going on - remains. Alicorn, if you can figure out how to permanently solve that one, you can have as many ECs as you want.

5. The Diary of Preternatural has concluded, the trial of Eith Korphorin has reached a verdict, and really the only other things going on are some science experiments in Kennerext, the rise of a new state in Tabjun, and ponies.

6. This week's Senate vote is on paying the Autokrator and Speaker.

7. Take a second to familiarize yourself with the new expansion credit rules if that's the kind of thing you like: in particular, credits are twice as easy to come by, and founding colonies costs more money than normal expansion.

8. I'm not setting up an official Autokrator-endorsed baseball league cause there's not much interest. Anyone else can do as they wish.

Harvey
Ghost of Christmas Past

Re: Autokrator's Sunday Address, Year 55

Post by Harvey »

Scott Alexander wrote:1. SLOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW.
Need some conflict in some good-natured rivalries. But every time I try anything like that, everyone is against the idea.

Scott Alexander

In Archipelago, or are you talking about elsewhere?

Demon of Fides

Post by Demon of Fides »

Harvey wrote:Need some conflict in some good-natured rivalries. But every time I try anything like that, everyone is against the idea.
World War?

I did wonder to myself who would be on which side if a World War broke out with The Favoured and The Colony as the two opposing aggressors...
Hier post ich, ich kann nicht anders

Rei Milharna

Post by Rei Milharna »

Scott Alexander wrote:1. SLOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW.
SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

Harvey
Ghost of Christmas Past

Post by Harvey »

Scott Alexander wrote:In Archipelago, or are you talking about elsewhere?
In Archipelago, cuz this is Archipelago. My main worry right now is that no states are becoming friends and no states are becoming enemies. Our only real interaction happens in the contests, and even those are us just talking about ourselves. Co-operation and competition are unnecessary when ECs come mildly easily from sitting around by ourselves and trying to win contests. Your reply to my PM kind of sums up the norm right now: we're all planning storylines in advance and they're all independant of one another.
Demon of Fides wrote:I did wonder to myself who would be on which side if a World War broke out with The Favoured and The Colony as the two opposing aggressors...
Probably nobody on either side. We're easily the two creepiest states right now. They'd prolly hope we destroy ourselves. :twisted:

Demon of Fides

Post by Demon of Fides »

Plato v AURA. AI v AI.

When do you want to do this thing?

Harvey
Ghost of Christmas Past

Post by Harvey »

Haha. So be it! Give me a few story posts to get my secret army ready.

Shyriath
CONDOLORD

Post by Shyriath »

I've actually been cobbling together a tentative storyline involving assassination (or an attempt at such, anyway) in the Senate. I've just trying to figure out how to incorporate a few particular elements into it (which will probably slow it down far too much, since they depend on other things happening).

So, I hadn't really wanted to bring it up yet; but if we want to trigger some wars here and an insane Kennerextith plot and assassination attempt will help, by all means let me know.
Shyriath Farstrider (aka Shyriath Bukolos), KD MOU OLH XBH
Viscount Farstrider of Erysisceptrum, Count Bukolos of the Condo, Harbinger of Cheese

TOTUS MUNDUS TABULAM RASAM EST

Rei Milharna

Post by Rei Milharna »

Hooligans cause €3bn riot at minor-league baseball game in Safiria?

Aryeztur

Post by Aryeztur »

I've been out of town the last few days, explaining my slowness.
The Great King, King of Kings, King of the World

Scott Alexander

In Archipelago, cuz this is Archipelago. My main worry right now is that no states are becoming friends and no states are becoming enemies. Our only real interaction happens in the contests, and even those are us just talking about ourselves. Co-operation and competition are unnecessary when ECs come mildly easily from sitting around by ourselves and trying to win contests. Your reply to my PM kind of sums up the norm right now: we're all planning storylines in advance and they're all independant of one another.
I WISH we were all planning storylines in advance. As it is, you and I and sometimes Shy plan storylines, Aryeztur does his own sort of development, the Mevwani write their magazines, and a lot of the rest of the statelets have gone dark. I promised myself I wouldn't bother people to stay active in Archipelago because that always bothered me when people did it in Shireroth or elsewhere, but I think when I made that promise I was assuming people would stay active of their own accord, which was stupid. I dunno. If I really believed people were just operating on a post-one-thing-every-two-months scale, that'd be fine. When it gets to never-post-anything I start to feel like I'm in a ghost town.

I'm pretty much thrilled with the way you do your stories - like that thing you wrote today where you talked about the politics of the Favored in the context of events going on in Drachumve and Aryasht and Colony. Same with mine where I managed to work in Percept and the Colony and a few references to Lant. If I could get more statelets doing the kind of thing you're doing in your current story, I would consider this place 100% success even if no one ended up fighting wars or having Senate intrigue.

Demon of Fides

Post by Demon of Fides »

But... but... We can still fight wars, right?

Octavius

Post by Octavius »

Scott: what's Sulawesi doing there?

Also, where are older and alternative versions of the map stored?
Аїомидє Оћтавион
Hesam wrote:Trains are very efficient at making long lines of people dead, and I suppose they could also be used for transportation or something.

Scott Alexander

Scott: what's Sulawesi doing there?
Just hanging out.

I think I promised 100 imaginary ECs to anyone who knew what inside joke I was referring to; still waiting for a claimant.
Also, where are older and alternative versions of the map stored?
http://www.raikoth.net/Stuff/Archipelag ... NUMBER.jpg, where NUMBER is a number from 1 to 7

Octavius

Post by Octavius »

You mean, now I need to figure out WHY Sulawesi is there?
Аїомидє Оћтавион
Hesam wrote:Trains are very efficient at making long lines of people dead, and I suppose they could also be used for transportation or something.

Scott Alexander

Yeah.

Octavius

Post by Octavius »

I hate you in a grumpy "ugh... fine..." sort of way.
Аїомидє Оћтавион

Octavius

Post by Octavius »

Were you making a prediction about THIS earthquake?
Аїомидє Оћтавион

Return to “Control Room”