• Malarbor says
  • And now a message from our sponsors
  • Karnia-Ruthenia adopts drug control
  • Reviving some footage
  • Telluric Waves by Statelet

Management of the simulation and out-of-character discussion

Re: Telluric Waves by Statelet

Postby Winged One » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:28 am

Hm... the main trouble with that would probably be avoiding him convincing himself that he should just stay there forever. Well, that and the fact that from the votes in the newspaper contest, he doesn't seem very well-liked by people able to play the people he'd meet there.
    Winged One

Postby Adelene » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:36 am

I would like the trading ship Kwandoyo to be able to communicate over long distances by CB radio, but also be able to go into low-tech-level areas. Could we rule that electronics - or perhaps only specially-made electronics - only break if someone tries to use them in a low-tech area? Particularly given the difficulty in shipping anything more complicated than a spear between statelets, otherwise?

Also, would it be considered plausible for CB radio waves to be able to go through low-tech areas and be received in high-tech areas on the other side, given that CB radio waves are propagated through the highest layers of the atmosphere, about where a space shuttle would be found, and we've already had a mention of satellites apparently working over low-tech areas (search "swynndyrr satellites")?
    Adelene

Postby Andreas the Wise » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:06 am

I think saying things break only if you try to use them makes the most sense. Or even just that they don't work; but work fine back in the right telluric zone. Otherwise most high-end world trade is wiped out because you can't get from A to B without going through a low zone.

So, for example, if I have a magic crystal I can take it through magic 1 areas; it can't be used there, but it doesn't stop being magical, it works fine back in the appropriate magic areas. Though if you want to move a high end tank through a medieval area, have fun finding a cart big enough to pull it through on :p
    The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave. But he does deserve a cool war ribbon.
    However, this account still manages:
    Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
    Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
    Q - Director of SAMIN
    Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy
    Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
    Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn - Speaker of Nelaga, Minister of Interior Affairs, and a Micron
    Andreas the Wise

Postby Adelene » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:49 am

Andreas the Wise wrote:Or even just that they don't work; but work fine back in the right telluric zone.

This would imply that at least as far as tech levels, it'd be fairly easy to make a tellurometer - just have several different gizmos that are based on different levels of tech, and see which ones work in any given spot.

This would make the story I have in mind flow somewhat better, and might turn out to be convenient for other things, but my impression was that telluric fields were supposed to be a bit less predictable than that.
    Adelene

Postby Harvey » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:25 pm

I think I like the idea of things breaking only if you try to use them. How about this: every mechanical device has normal wear and tear even in real life. With regular maintenance, the life can be extended, but most parts are designed to wear out after X cycles or X years. X can be pretty big, but it’s not forever. Trying to use a high tech device in a high tech area would give normal wear and tear. Trying to use it in a lower tech area would heighten the wear and tear, with going lower and lower giving more and more dramatic results. So things like the CB radio might work even in a low tech 1 zone, but it shouldn’t be much of a shock if the conversation only lasts a minute or two before some of the weaker wiring fails. The breakdowns would be completely normal for the device, but would simply be more frequent in more oppressive telluric fields.

Naturally, the nature of the breakdowns and how often they occur would follow the script of the plot. If you really want a high tech device to work in low tech fields, then okay, as long as you don't make a habit of it.
    Harvey
    Ghost of Christmas Past

Postby Carl Jackson » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:09 pm

This is my headcanon.
    Carl Jackson

Postby Alicorn » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:05 pm

I approve of Harvey's version.
    Alicorn

Postby Shyriath » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:05 pm

That sounds good to me as well.
    Shyriath Bukolos, AKA Shyriath Farstrider, Count Bukolos of the Condo, Harbinger of Cheese
    Orders and Awards
    TOTUS MUNDUS TABULAM RASAM EST
    Shyriath
    CONDOLORD

Postby Adelene » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:13 pm

That works for me. It seems like it answers the radio-waves-through-low-tech-zones question, too, if one could expect to briefly use a CB radio in a low-tech zone.
    Adelene

Postby ari » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:45 pm

Lant is maybe 2.8, 2.9ish tech-wise, depending on the area you'll find anything from sixties-ish to nineties-ish technology working. Resplendence is a 6 on the telluric scale if anything - getting stuff to work there is easier than with the physics we're used to - but it's just one city, it simply isn't big enough to develop a really far-future level of technology all on its own. Both are magicless, unless the plot of some character coming in from elsewhere calls for it.

Adelene wrote:This would imply that at least as far as tech levels, it'd be fairly easy to make a tellurometer - just have several different gizmos that are based on different levels of tech, and see which ones work in any given spot.

Tellurometers are canon in Lant. One common model looks a lot like a really bulky and heavy multimeter. There's a couple of caveats though:

- There's no single convenient number to measure but a whole bunch of different kind of measurable disturbances of different physical principles, each affecting different kinds of technology in their own ways.

- Pretty much nobody is going to remember all the different physical principles any specific device relies on, and only a well-educated professional can actually determine if a given device is going to work in a given location unless all the readings are at extreme values. The most reliable way to make use of a tellurometer is to lug devices around to places where you get different readings from the meter and see which ones work and which ones don't.

- As always with measurement devices, there are tradeoffs between sensitivity, cost, and durability. A Lantian tellurometer would probably burn out if you tried to run it in Dromosker, yet it'd also be completely useless to measure the kinds of tiny differences you need to spot when looking for a place for a data center in Resplendence.

- And in other places yet it might just produce patent nonsense readings. Lantian science does not and will not at any point have tellurology completely figured out, but though do well enough for their local physics.
    Lord Furniture
    Not even partially responsible for Malarboria; will take the blame for Caverden, though!
    Tallest and therefore Greatest of the Janitors
    Eternal Watcher of #micronations
    ari
    Kauppasaksavainolainen

Postby Demon of Fides » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:46 pm

So... Train question:

Since it would be impractical for me to run trains in places where they will break, can I shield from waves by having the train tunnels lined
    If you've seen the meta thread, you know the tunnels are lines with Plato, the AI

or putting them sufficiently underground?
    Hier post ich, ich kann nicht anders
    Demon of Fides

Postby Shyriath » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:28 pm

Dunno. It's kind of odd to think of the telluric field reaching all the way around Pelagia without going through it, but then again we don't know exactly how it works. It's something to think about, since if sufficient rock is a shield against the effect, that's going to have implications for my statelet as well.

But if being underground DOES convey an advantage, then I would think the Colony must be reaping heavy benefits: assuming the tunnels between continents are under the seabed, that says a lot for the extreme depths they could manage.
    Shyriath Bukolos, AKA Shyriath Farstrider, Count Bukolos of the Condo, Harbinger of Cheese
    Orders and Awards
    Shyriath
    CONDOLORD

Postby Harvey » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:25 am

I would say that the Colony should have to deal with telluric waves like anyone else. You might be able to put the majority of our tunnels in telluric fields that are sufficiently high tech, but in order to get into certain low tech ones, you might have to revert to more mundane methods. Hope you've got some oxen underground!
    Harvey
    Ghost of Christmas Past

Postby Demon of Fides » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:27 am

Well, we're the kind of 'wow, we used to have all this tech and now we only know what half of it does' people.

@Harvey: I'm still in the market for horses (they can see in extremely low light)
    Demon of Fides

Postby Scott Alexander » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:41 am

Well, in-character, the telluric field might have been created with the express purpose of sustaining interesting cultures in weird locations. There's no reason why it can't vary with depth, so that there are areas of low telluric fields below places with high telluric fields, and the Colonists can find these and dig their tunnels through them. It might involve a lot of depth changes - ie finding a pocket of high field and going down a hundred feet until you find an area of low field - but it could work.
    Scott Alexander

Postby Demon of Fides » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:02 am

Excuses to use explosives? My word, this will be fun...
    Demon of Fides

Postby Shyriath » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:30 pm

Everything's better with bombs.
    Orders and Awards
    Shyriath
    CONDOLORD

Previous

Return to Control Room