Autokrator's (Late) Sunday Address, Year 21

Management of the simulation and out-of-character discussion
Scott Alexander

Autokrator's (Late) Sunday Address, Year 21

Post by Scott Alexander »

Sorry I'm so late with the contest threads/map updates/address. I was in Dublin for the weekend.

1. Thanks to a suggestion from Aryeztur last week, I'm increasing the canonical length of time between the Apocalypse and Year One to five hundred years instead of two hundred. That'll allow a bit more historical development. Of course, all the history got lost during that period and timekeeping in a postapocalyptic civilization is difficult at the best of times, so feel free to use larger or smaller numbers if it suits your story.

2. The year-length issue is a potential disaster and I think the best possible solution is to ignore it and hope it goes away. Use whatever real-world time to in-simulation time is most convenient to you. I'm going to continue referring to days as "years" for convenience, but just as the Biblical Creation days may not have been exactly twenty-four hours, so our years may not be exactly twelve months; Pelagian years may last only four Earth days like those of 51 Pegasi, or they may last two and a half Earth centuries, like those of Pluto. Quite a few people have mentioned they intend to have their characters live around one real-time year or a little less, which may be a more important number.

3. The Speaker election is now open in the Senate. There hasn't been any campaigning or discussion yet, but it's never too late.

4. If you've read through the religions and SMAC factions posted last week, please vote for the winners of the religion and Alpha Centauri contests.

5. In what I hope will become a tradition, we once again have two contests this week: the capital city contest and Pelagivision. Please check them both out.

6. Map version 6.1 is now up, which adds Omega and should address most other outstanding complaints.

7. There is a Cartography Class planned for #nelaga at 10 PM GMT on Thursday. If you're interested in learning to make pretty maps, give it a try. A copy of Photoshop is a must, and Fractal Mapper is recommended but a lot of people are having trouble getting it (see the thread) so we'll probably figure out alternate arrangements.

8. We've definitely left behind the new micronation "honeymoon" period where we automatically get lots of great activity, and entered the equally inevitable doldrum period where people are still trying to figure out what to do. My thanks go out to people like the Demon of Fides who are fighting the doldrums and keeping things interesting. Hopefully once the Speaker is enthroned he can take over that job, and I can stop fretting about it all the time and concentrate on making pretty maps :)

9. I'll be on LoA from June 6 to 14th. I'll be in Haiti and I don't know if there will be working Internet connections there. I seriously seriously seriously want this whole doctor thing in Drachumve finished before I leave, or before I come back at the absolute LATEST. It's great that there's an interactive roleplay thing going on, but I can't move my Drachumve storyline along until that part finishes and if it doesn't I hope no one will be offended if I just tie it up myself and move on. (that having been said, Shy, I know I need to write some more for the Kennerixt story and I'll get around to it)

10. So. Artifact system. There are a few ways we can handle this. The first and simplest is to keep doing what we're doing with Expansion Credits. The second is to have different types of credits. Maybe one for expanding territory, one for building cities and roads on the map, one for better bonuses in recwars, one for greater prominence of your forum on the board, and one for the occasional extra Senate vote. These would all be kept separately and people would have to trade among themselves to get the ones they wanted. Would this be more interesting, or just annoying?

Aryeztur

Re: Autokrator's (Late) Sunday Address, Year 21

Post by Aryeztur »

I feel like we should ditch the apocalypse story and instead just make this another world in the same planetary system as micras. Just my opinion.
The Great King, King of Kings, King of the World

Sammy J McMillan

Post by Sammy J McMillan »

Aryeztur wrote:I feel like we should ditch the apocalypse story and instead just make this another world in the same planetary system as micras. Just my opinion.
Me myself, I've considered it inconsequential since my arrival.
Sammy J McMillan
ANTICAN LIBERATION DEVICE. Allow curiosity to seduce ya: http://www.bastionunion.org/forum/viewt ... =320&t=992
Citizen of the Republic, friend of :sammyj:
In the quotes thread, Ardy wrote:You know, you are a bit of an arse - even by the standards of this hobby (which is an achievement).

Harvey
Ghost of Christmas Past

Post by Harvey »

I want to use my expansion credits to buy myself a higher spot on this forum list. At least above the statelets that have like 5 posts total. I could just do this cuz I'm an admin, but I figured it would nice to play it fair if there a mechanism available.

Scott Alexander

There will be a mechanism put in place for that, I just need to decide whether it's going to be with expansion credits or some sort of different forum-moving-up currency that can only be traded for expansion credits if you find someone to trade with.

Until that decision is made, I would say 250 ECs to leap over a forum that has fewer posts than you, and 1000 ECs to leap over a forum that has more posts than you. So for you to reach the top of the board would take 3000 ECs; 250*7 to leap over Resplendence, Myee Syee, Col, Dromosker, Safiria, Coreyland, and Long Island, then 1000 to leap over Aryasht which is bigger than you, then another 250 to leap over Drachumve.

The Senate is welcome to propose a different rule if it wants.

Illuminarch Nicholas

Post by Illuminarch Nicholas »

I actually prefer the post-apocalyptic Micras. That gives a nice backdrop for us to build upon, and works nicely with Omega's storyline.

I'm excited to see where expansion credits lead. Perhaps a thread should be created to explain some of the uses of ECs, instead of us foraging around the forums and threads to piece together a general idea. Perhaps benefits and their costs could also be outlined, rather than hidden in some post? Just a thought.
Illustro est via

Harvey
Ghost of Christmas Past

Post by Harvey »

They're not scattered out of spite. It's just that we don't have a very clear idea on how they're going to be used yet and so different threads explore the possibilities. But nothing in official, I do not believe.

Illuminarch Nicholas

Post by Illuminarch Nicholas »

Oh, I wasn't blaming anyone for the scattering of the fragments; I was just suggesting that we possibly have a set-in-stone context for ECs, so people can know how and what their ECs are useful for and what to possibly save up for.
Illustro est via

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

The post-apocalyptic Micras element is crucial for my storyline, and also, I suspect, for Harvey's.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave. But he does deserve a cool war ribbon.
However, this account still manages:
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn - Speaker of Nelaga, Minister of Interior Affairs, and a Micron

Demon of Fides

Post by Demon of Fides »

It would really help me too...
Hier post ich, ich kann nicht anders

Scott Alexander

And myself.

However, I am hopeful that as time goes on, the old world and that part of our history become less and less of an important part of what we're talking about, until eventually we're all completely adjusted to the new world and the whole apocalypse bit becomes of historical interest only.

Harvey
Ghost of Christmas Past

Post by Harvey »

The connection to Micras is critical for my statelet only because I made it critical. The fact that the Favored came from the Project Utoptia is interesting but ultimately not the most important thing about them. If we were on a new world, I would have still had them awaken from some sort of stasis situation with the details of how or why they were there being changed to fit the new setting.

Having done the opening I did, I want to keep it, if only because I have been thinking along those lines for a while now.

Demon of Fides

Post by Demon of Fides »

I guess the important bit is that if you don't want this to be Micras, you don't have to do anything, but if you need it to be Micras and we decide it's not, you're pretty much screwed.
Hier post ich, ich kann nicht anders

Harvey
Ghost of Christmas Past

Post by Harvey »

I agree.

Return to “Control Room”