Autokrator's Sunday Address, Year 13

Management of the simulation and out-of-character discussion

Re: Autokrator's Sunday Address, Year 13

Postby Andreas the Wise » Mon May 23, 2011 8:47 pm

I'd prefer a defined thing, even if it's flexible (I think being able to backdate/have longer lifespans is a good flexibility thing). On Micras it got annoying to try and get history of different nations to match up in the slightest when Shireroth used ASC, the original Jasonian stuff was based on an Earth-style timeline, and Gralus we eventually decided went at something like a year every month, because that was the only way our RPs and character development made any sense. It'd be nicer to have something agreed to from the start that everyone agrees to.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave. But he does deserve a cool war ribbon.
However, this account still manages:
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn - Speaker of Nelaga, Minister of Interior Affairs, and a Micron
Andreas the Wise

Postby Orion » Tue May 24, 2011 1:19 am

Generally, in regards to those of us who are slower producers of material, I don't see any problem with back-dating posts. As long as it's not something I'm entering for one of the competitions, then it shouldn't make any difference if it's back-dated or not.

I never liked ASC - it was a neat idea, but difficult to follow at a glance. A system where X = Y is simple and can be done at a glance, which is convenient and easy to follow for everyone.
Orion
Full of shi... err.. stars!

Postby Harvey » Wed May 25, 2011 1:54 pm

I strongly agree with keeping time constant but vague and possibly undefined. If we have statelets that are in slo-time and statelets that are in fast-time, it just creates all sorts of boggles when they try to interact in a meaningful way. Maybe one or two statelets in this way could be interesting for roleplaying purposes, but if everyone wants to have a different scale it’s going to become a huge mess.

ACS (1 day = 1 year) is the best system I’ve found for measuring the life of countries. For the life of people, it fails a little bit, but you can fudge it by saying that the date of posts is not necessary the day that they occur. So if it takes 200 days for me to finish a story about a single character, he or she did not necessarily live 200 years – it merely took me a long time to finish the story about something that happened a while ago. If I post today and then post tomorrow, a year didn’t necessarily have to pass between the two. We’re writers – WE decide how much time passed that’s that. Even “new” developments can be backdates in this way. You can always push things into the past.

I’m not saying we should adopt ACS – I’m saying we should consider it a gauge for how fast the world is progressing in terms of the life of our statelets, with our own stories and such taking place at a much less advanced timetable.
Harvey
Ghost of Christmas Past

Postby Sammy J McMillan » Wed May 25, 2011 4:06 pm

If we're going to backdate things etc I see the whole "time scale" idea as irrelevant. Backdating gives us complete power over the development of our internal stories, therefore time-scale only matters then when we interact between ourselves and then, say if it is 1 day = 1 year it will probably be an inappropriate time scale.
Sammy J McMillan
ANTICAN LIBERATION DEVICE. Allow curiosity to seduce ya: viewtopic.php?f=320&t=992
Citizen of the Republic, friend of :sammyj:
In the quotes thread, Ardy wrote:You know, you are a bit of an arse - even by the standards of this hobby (which is an achievement).
Sammy J McMillan

Previous

Return to Control Room