Landsraad, Adelsraad, Folksraad...

The Noor Gate is the closest that the unwashed of Shirekeep are allowed to approach to the inner sanctum of Raynor's Keep. It is the place for the submission of petitions, the reading of proclamations, and the public execution of heinous criminals.

Moderators: (Shireroth) Court Historian, (Shireroth) Steward, (Shireroth) Kaiser, (Shireroth) Praetor

Armin Jamal-Arminzadeh

Landsraad, Adelsraad, Folksraad...

Post by Armin Jamal-Arminzadeh »

LANDSRAAD
Landsraad is the supreme legislature of Shireroth. Its seats are owned by various houses (one corresponding to an imperial, royal or noble house per IRL citizen). Now, if an IRL cit doesn't want his/her primary persona to belong to his/her ancient house, the house can appoint anyone to represent the house (even someone not belonging to the house, like a lawyer or so...). I imagine the House of Ashura appointing Altea Lomax for example as Seatholder.

The basic idea is to represent some of the various bloodlines of Shireroth. Perhaps extinct lines (or near-extinct ones) can be represented by newcomers until they've established themselves here, and get created their own house to be exalted to Landsraad status by the Kaiser. The Prætor will be the one recognizing claims to seats and so on.

Each IRL person having been kaiser should have his/her own seat, usually an imperial line, or cadet branch, or so. There will definitely be a Benkern seat, for example.

That way the Landsraad will be a very small legislature, perhaps never exceeding 15 seats, but full of intrigue and evil politics.

ADELSRAAD

But we were promised democracy, cry the nobles! So the nobles (i.e. the citizens) elect every so often a consultative assembly – let's call it Adelsraad – to represent their interests in Shirerithian imperial politics. In-sim, no bill affecting the rights, obligations or privileges of the nobility would be passed by the Landsraad unless it's secured the Adelsraad's consent.

FOLKSRAAD

The denizens too cry out for representation. Every so often, they would elect their consultative assembly. We can call it the Folksraad. A bit larger, maybe 666 seats because that is a cute number, elected in simulated party-elections across the various subdivisions – each sub being one constituency – in a Europarliamentesque craziness. So just like the EP, it'll be largely powerless but symbolic. In-sim, no bill affecting denizens would be passed without Folksraad consent.

Thoughts!
Armin Jamal-Arminzadeh
President of the Senate of the Elwynnese Republic

Ryker
The Third Ryke

Re: Landsraad, Adelsraad, Folksraad...

Post by Ryker »

I agree, that is a very cute number. Maybe instead of giving old houses to new guys as placeholders, we just make special placeholder houses?
Ryker00X
Ryker of the Sovereign Confederation
Head of House Redquill

Heath Belledin

Post by Heath Belledin »

I'm not sure I like a tricameral legislature, even though Firneramnen indeed has one.

Doesn't the Landsraad already fulfill the promise of noble democracy? and isn't the Adelsraad dead and buried where, IMHO, it belongs?

A good rule of thumb for the size of a legislature is the cube root of population, and I also would like it to be a prime number, so it can't be hopelessly split. I seem to like 727 even though the former statement suggests that it would be a fair bit smaller.
Dr. Heath J. Belledin
Played by Hālian

Ryker
The Third Ryke

Post by Ryker »

Votes can still be split by abstentions. I don't really care either way as long as its easy to understand and simulate.
Ryker00X
Head of House Redquill

Vilhelm Benkern

Post by Vilhelm Benkern »

Armin Jamal-Arminzadeh wrote:Thoughts!
I, and House Benkern, like very much. Tricameral sounds interesting.
Vilhelm Benkern DEOMI, Member of the Order of the Dragon, Silver Swan, Red Dragon
Dirigent of Musica, Count of Mar Sara
In Aryasht Prapta Vrteti, former Prince of Aryasht; Zaila Vrteti, Norfolknath
In Elwynn Benjamin Sebasokrator Timothy Quentin Kern, Duke of Raikoth
In Khalypsil Representative of the Wisdom

Mira Octavius-Aryani

Post by Mira Octavius-Aryani »

I dunno

Count Palatine of Kezan
Khanum of Cabbagefall

Ryker
The Third Ryke

Post by Ryker »

He's alive!
Ryker00X
Head of House Redquill

Continuator
"The devil in the details"

Post by Continuator »

I think I'd like the Folksraad to be elected from the in-sim citizenry and to perform the functions ascribed to the Adelsraad and for the denziens to only be permitted to be involved in the political life of their respective states/dominions - thereby preserving the unique privilege of Imperial citizenship.

Mira Octavius-Aryani

Nobody seemed too bothered by my absence.

I'm not entirely sure I understand the point of a separate Landsraad and Adelsraad.

Count Palatine of Kezan
Khanum of Cabbagefall

Ryker
The Third Ryke

Post by Ryker »

We were bothered privately.
We'd like to try doing some more in depth sim government stuff. Se what the fuss is about as I understand it.
Ryker00X
Head of House Redquill

Mira Octavius-Aryani

A simulated Folksraad ought to take care of that, shouldn't it?

Folksraad? Landsraad? Adelsraad? Simulated Landsraad, "real" Adelsraad? It seems out of character for some part of the government to be named after the hoi poloi.

Count Palatine of Kezan
Khanum of Cabbagefall

Vilhelm Benkern

Post by Vilhelm Benkern »

The use of the phrase "real" Adelsraad makes me think of the Spanish. Simulated Adelsraad with Royal members (RL citizens) who are approved by the government and therefore able to bring motions? Simulated members would vote in equal portion with the Royal members.
Vilhelm Benkern DEOMI, Member of the Order of the Dragon, Silver Swan, Red Dragon
Dirigent of Musica, Count of Mar Sara
In Aryasht Prapta Vrteti, former Prince of Aryasht; Zaila Vrteti, Norfolknath
In Elwynn Benjamin Sebasokrator Timothy Quentin Kern, Duke of Raikoth
In Khalypsil Representative of the Wisdom

Return to “The Noor Gate”