The Meeting

The seat of the Pentheros of the Dozan Bovic Church.

Moderators: (Natopia) Emperor, (Natopia) Chancellor, (Natopia) Pentheros

Aldin

The Meeting

Post by Aldin »

The various church leaders had quickly convened in Doza to begin the task of selecting a new Pentheros who would be responsible for the future of the church. Aldin, already in Doza when he issued the proclamation of the Pentheros' death, had already claimed the right to preside over the meeting, much to the chagrin of Sergius Hergones of Lyrica.

"Why are we debating this? Not only are you a boy, barely seven years on Micras, but you are also the most junior Metrobosarch. I have enjoyed the longest tenure of service to the church, and am frankly the only qualified person to assume the Pentheral Crown!" Sergius slammed his fist on the table as the others listened.

Aldin, who was a boy, and was really only seven, called the room to order, "His Eminence is correct and has acutely observed both my gender and my age. However, I have spoken directly with Elijah, I am the grandson of a saint by blood and a god by love, the son of Nathaniel the Returned. What are you, Sergius? A man from Hergon, and simply that. A noble man, yes, but just a man."

"How dare you, you.. you... child! I command the hearts of hundreds of thousands of Storish Bovics! I represent the future of this church, if we are to grow we must pursue other nations, to have them embrace and encourage national eparchies as Stormark has done."

Kurai Darkmoon also nodded, "He has a point, Aldin, we would do well to establish a national eparchy in Shireroth or at least Elwynn, so much Bovic history in just Smjorkyr alone! Why, I'd also suggest it should be the seat of the Pentheros! Where would the Church, or even Natopia, be without the cultural bastion Smjorkyr served as during the Natopian Dark Age!"

Aldin banged his gavel, "Your opinions are noted, and valid. Both Smjorkyr and Haraldsborg are important cities for the world church."

Naian interjected, content until now to remain neutral in these talks, his mind was elsewhere, but the tone of conversation seemed to be moving in an odd direction, he wanted to steer the young Aldin back to sense, "Important yes, but Doza is the city of the Church's blossoming into a real religion. Likewise, the Ruined Cathedral in Lindstrom is the site of a literal god ruling on Micras. And, the church is constitutionally entwined in Natopia, I personally cannot allow any significant shift of power outside of Athlon.

Aldin nodded again, "Smjorkyr, Haraldsborg, Doza, and Lindstrom are perhaps the most important cities to Bovinism. We have agreed upon this. Certainly Doza has primacy over the other three."

The council sat in silence, considering the implications of additional national eparchies. Sergius spoke up in the silence, "I now live in Stormark, and although I'm the most senior Metrobosarch, I understand there is no way I will be allowed to become Pentheros of the church. Why? The Pentheros still has influence over the Natopian Emperor. There is also a conflict of interest for the second-most senior Metrobosarch," Sergius gestured toward Naian, "I'm not at all well versed in Natopian constitutional law, but I think making the Emperor and Pentheros the same person would cause problems."

Naian nodded, "Yes, but my father occupied both positions at the same time... under a different government though."

Kurai cleared her throat, "I think the next Pentheros needs to take actions to reduce his... or her... influence over the Natopian Emperor, unilaterally at first, perhaps to such a point that the Natopian government has no choice but to remove the Pentheral oversight in the Caprine Code. We cannot become a world church if we are fundamentally linked to one nation.

Naian crossed his arms and leaned forward, about to say something, then thinking of how the late Pentheros had never even fulfilled his duties to serve as Regent, "Perhaps the duties of the Pentheros in Natopia should be reconsidered. My absences always coincide with the Pentheros' disappearances or outright refusal to accept the regency. I would agree that the future Pentheros should not be allowed to serve as Natopian Regent, but I think the Pentheros should still crown future Natopian emperors... and to be allowed to crown or anoint the heads of other states if requested."

Aldin, Sergius, Kurai, and Stefan Dore, the non-voting Andrino bosarch, all nodded in agreement.

Aldin then shuffled his papers, and cleared his throat, "I believe, perhaps before discussing further matters, we should vote on our preference for the next Pentheros. Bosarch Stefan, please leave the chamber."

Stefan picked up his papers, nodded to the others, and left the room, closing the door behind him.

"Brothers and sister in Bous, let us pray for guidance before we vote," Aldin said as he closed his eyes slightly, he briefly met Kurai's eyes as she closed hers.

Abruptly, Sergius said "Acow, let us vote, there are only four of us, let us voice our preferences aloud. I am the only reasonable choice. I naturally vote for myself."

Aldin nodded, "I respectfully disagree, reminding my brothers and sister of my divine lineage and direct communion with Elijah. I vote for myself."

Naian leaned back in his chair, "I suppose they can sort out the constitutional crisis back in Lindstrom, I vote for myself, to consolidate control of Natopia and Church in a single person would be efficient."

Kurai faintly smiled, "I witnessed one of Aldin's communions with Elijah, I vote for him. He will lead the Church down a pious path, returning us to pure spirituality, and avoid political entanglements."

Naian and Sergius stood up, shouting at her and at each other, while Aldin smiled at Kurai, letting the men shout themselves down until they were all sitting again.

Sergius shook his head slowly, "A boy as pentheros will lead the church to ruin and mockery."

Aldin walked over to him and looked at him directly in the eyes, "I have the voices of Nathan and Elijah with me, their invaluable counsel and wisdom cannot be denied."

Sergius looked into the boy's eyes and knew this to be true, "Yes, yes you're right, they do speak through you. You have my vote, Blessed One."

Kurai, Sergius, and Aldin now looked to Naian, whose eyes had teared up, "Why, why does my father speak to you in death, my father who I never knew. If I were to be Pentheros, I can speak to him! He'll have to speak to me!"

Aldin walked to Naian now, and held his hand, "Your father says you have carried on his legacy far beyond he has ever dreamed. He says your mother's Hazel blood makes it difficult for you to commune with Bous. You have already lead Natopia into a golden age surpassing Nathan's reign. You do not need to speak to him to carry out your duties as Emperor. He says you are best to listen to your own instincts and the advice of your earthly counsel."

Naian wiped away his tears, "You have my vote, Your Holiness."

Sergius, Kurai, and Naian then walked out of the room, to inform others of the confirmation of Zahir al Din as the third reigning Pentheros of the Dozan Bovic Church.
His Eminence, Aldin Ayreon-Kalirion
Metrobosarch of the Eparchy of Smjorkyr,
Marquess of Sentratera

Jonas
Lord of the Fries

Re: The Meeting

Post by Jonas »

Tss. The infidels and their demonic baishen tricks...
Important characters:
Frederik Alfons des Vinandy-Paravel, King of Batavia
Joseph Bartholomeus des Vinandy-Windsor, Prince-Regent of Batavia
Jin San, Diwang of Jingdao, Duke of Kildare

Ivo Angus

Re: The Meeting

Post by Ivo Angus »

May Baus bless the new Pentheros with a long life to be devoted to spreading over the values of the Bovic Church.

Return to “Pentheral Basilica of St. Bessie”