[Constitutional Amendment] Title of the Emperor

All passed laws, treaties, resolutions, and archived records of the Frenzy.

Moderators: (Natopia) Emperor, (Natopia) Chancellor, (Natopia) Speaker of the Frenzy

Nathan II

[Constitutional Amendment] Title of the Emperor

Post by Nathan II »

IN THE FRENZY OF THE BOVIC EMPIRE
24 Tasneber 1684

Rep. Eiiard Darkroot of Flaventia introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Chancellor for consideration and committee assignment

A BILL

To amend the emperor's title in the Constitution

Be it enacted by the Representatives of the Bovic Empire in Frenzy assembled,

Section 1
This Bill may be referred to as the Sovereign Title Amendment Act.

Section 2
The Constitution of the Bovic Empire of the Natopian Nation is hereby amended to replace every instance of the word "Emperor" with "Sovereign" when referring to the monarch of Natopia. Likewise, instances of "his" when referring to the monarch shall be replaced with "their".

Section 3
Following the full ratification of this amendment, the Frenzy shall be empowered to make necessary changes to the Caprine Code to replace every appropriate instance of the word "Emperor" with "Sovereign" and to make other changes as may arise, such as updating pronouns.
His Most Bovic Majesty, Nathan II,
Emperor of the Natopians

Li Naomiai
"This is Mango Country"

Re: [Constitutional Amedment] Title of the Emperor

Post by Li Naomiai »

Lord Speaker, If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it
Li Naomiai Avon-El
Ayreon-Kalirion ibn al-Majeed al-Osman bin Sathrati of Waffel-Paine

Princess of Klaasiya, Duchess of Hoffenheim, Marchioness of Sentratera

Regent of the Imperial Republic and Imperial Minister for the Exterior (Shireroth)
Secretary of Legal Affairs in the Court of Noble Fountain (Natopia)

Ernesto de la Cruz

Post by Ernesto de la Cruz »

I don't see why this change cannot be readily implemented. Could the Emperor explain this change?
Ernesto de la Cruz
Chancellor of the Bovic Empire of the Natopian Nation
Member of the Frenzy
Most Serene Union of Demesnes, Natopia
Lord High Steward and First Secretary of the Most Serene Government (1663-1668)
Dos Gardenias, New Alexandria

(Member of the Central Committee of Edgards.)

Nathan II

Re: [Constitutional Amendment] Title of the Emperor

Post by Nathan II »

Mister Speaker,

I present to the Frenzy a letter, from the Emperor, outlining his wishes for the title change:
Esteemed Representatives,

I request the title of "Emperor" be changed to "Sovereign" for several reasons.

First being a reflection of the changing character of the Natopian nation. I believe that Natopia's march toward more and more democratization will be symbolically hampered all while under a monarch styled as an emperor, an archaic title with historical baggage of oppression, expansion, subjugation, and autocratic power.

Second, the title of Sovereign conveys a more abstract sense of authority. The position of Emperor is powerful and I do not seek to lessen its impact, and a Sovereign is a apex political title, just as an emperor is. The Natopian Nation will still be an empire, and its monarch can still be referred to as an emperor in unofficial capacities.

Third, I hope to begin a process of agendering in other areas where I have the authority to do so, and plan on enacting a similar agendered titles in Flaventia by doing away with the binary titles of duke-duchess and replacing them with new titles.

I do not wish to do away with Natopia's grand traditions of peerages and titles, I hope to modernize them, not just for the sake of political correctness and inclusiveness, but for the more esoteric goal of moving Natopia forward and distinguishing it. We cannot let ourselves just be content with a large empire and a collection of kingdoms, duchies, and counties attached to it. By striping away the Emperors, Kings, Dukes, and Counts, we free ourselves from the baggage of maintaining the dusty curio cabinet of ancestral titles, replacing them with accurate and engaging titles that imply active investment in the people, and not passive ownership of the land. I do not want comparisons to be drawn between the mighty Natopian empire--which is a plurinational patchwork of peoples working towards progress--and other 'empires' which amount merely to personal unions of circumstance, land hoarding, and title greed.

Natopia is a nation that looks forward, tries new things, and adjusts every so often. Complacency is stagnation and stagnation is death.

Yours,
Nathan II
Emperor of the Natopians

Li Naomiai
"This is Mango Country"

Post by Li Naomiai »

Lord Speaker,

This is a dramatic shift that the Emperor proposes. He dresses it up in some beautiful words of semantics – and perhaps beautiful words is all which has surrounded him since his husband was killed – but we need to be straight here.

Natopia is an empire. An empire without an emperor is like being gay in a hetero relationship. It can work but it's incredibly dull. We won't have it.

If the Emperor does not want to be an emperor, he can abdicate. Or if we actually want to go down the Emperor's route, we may need to consider a general overhaul of the constitution to remove all vestiges of monarchism and dynasticism and go full blown republic like our friends the Aldurians or the Elwynnese.

But half measures be sorry. I will not support a half measure.

(Herr Klankenwanger, N&H, Two Martyrs)
Li Naomiai Avon-El

Regent of the Imperial Republic and Imperial Minister for the Exterior (Shireroth)

Nathan II

Post by Nathan II »

Mister Speaker,

I do not know the cause of Herr Klankenwanger's hysterical rhetoric but it is merely that: rhetoric. In the same breath he defends the glory and high honor of the title "emperor" while implying that our Emperor is soft, coddled, and removed from the harsh realities of life.

Herr Klankenwanger accuses the Emperor of relying on semantics and then uses semantics himself. Natopia has been, and always shall be an empire, regardless of the precise title of its head of state.

And Herr Klankenwanger's only solid rebuttal is that the title change would be dull. If the Representative from Two Martyrs had read the Emperor's letter, he would know that that was the Emperor's exact goal. To strip away the euphemisms and archaic trappings of old titles and replace them with efficient and accurate titles. Is that not exciting? Does being ruled by a Sovereign excite you and less than an Emperor? There is no ambiguity in a Sovereign. How many "emperors" on Micras are titular impotentates? How many of them are self-styled emperors of happenstance?

Herr Klankenwanger is correct on one count, this is a half-measure. But it is a half-measure going forward, to reinvent the Natopian tradition of monarchy, to shape it as WE desire it, and not to copy as it has been done before. We are the Natopian Nation, the second oldest nation on Micras and we shall do as we please. There is nothing in the Emperor's proposal that will weaken monarchism and dynasticism in Natopia. It will only strengthen it by setting it apart from the pack.

(Rep. Georgina Primrose, FJBP, Lochatonia)
Emperor of the Natopians

Li Naomiai
"This is Mango Country"

Post by Li Naomiai »

Lord Speaker,

Miss Primrose, aptly named as her cheeks were visibly rosy during her speech, clearly has a hard-on for the Emperor. She's his mouthpiece. Yet she accuses me of thinking of the Emperor as effeminate and unworthy of his title. The fact is, she believes that he is unworthy of the title!

Let that sink in for a minute.

She believes that it is more exciting to give the Emperor a bland title, that letting him be an emperor risks confusing him with impotent emperors and high kings – people we know far too well simply accumulate titles for the sake of it. It is she, Miss Primrose, who emasculated our emperor.

I want to keep him intact and fully functional. He is a symbol of our empire. He is the latest heir to all other emperors that we have had – and he shall not be the last.

Let us remember our emperors. We have had seven so far. I doubt Miss Primrose with her rosy cheeks could even list three.

But to her benefit and to ensure that she does not risk embarrassment.

*starts singing*

First there was our dear Nathan One
He had the heart of the nation won

Dark nights came,
lost was our fate
as we were ruled in anarchy,
by Capelle the late.

Then Nathan returned, he was the one
who defeated evil, over it he surely won,
left the throne to Konrad von Zeck
so that the empire would not wreck.

Then the Butter Bull did the empire remove
so that we all would be governed under his lovely hove.

Sovereigns were appointed, too boring to name,
until the Butter Bull Nathaniel did ordain

Nathaniel the Returned, the Once-Blinded
god-child brought us honour
as our dearly beloved emperor,

followed by his brother Naian Evergreen,
then the pious empress queen,
Asara, killed by the evil Khan,
left the throne to Zakyyr, that Haraldite pawn,
then finally the throne was restored.
Thus Emperor Nathan Two to be adored!

/end singing

This is the Livist nursery song sung across our empire. Does Miss Primrose with her rosy cheeks, really want to stop the children's singing songs of lawd and honour? Does she want to break the hearts of all loyal Livist children around our country?

No! We shall not go down on the emperor's honour. We shall fight all changes to his greatness. We will fight those changes as we fought the Haraldites! The Froyalaners! The Upplanders! We shall not go down that path again! We will not make our empire saccharine and cute. We will not have naked pictures on our coats of arms!

We will be an empire under a holy emperor.

Bous thus decreed when Nathaniel was ordained.

Who is this Primrose with rosy cheeks that dare go against the Butter Bull's law?
Li Naomiai Avon-El

Nathan II

Post by Nathan II »

Mister Speaker,

I am glad that the nation can see the deranged and unhinged manner in which Herr Klankenwanger has conducted himself on the floor of this Frenzy. Singing, shouting, calling into question my knowledge of history, making personal remarks about my appearance and name. Shameful. The Frenzy has always been a lively and energetic chamber for debate with few rules of decorum. I am afraid that Herr Klankenwanger has sunk the Frenzy to the bizarre level of a combined nursery and drunken karaoke bar.

It is fitting that Herr Klankenwanger sung us a nursery rhyme, as perhaps that is the last level of education he completed?

I might also remind Herr Klankenwanger that the title "Sovereign" has historical and religious significance in Natopia. He mentions the Butter Bull... and yet he does not remember from his schooling the period of time during which the Butter Bull was physically manifest on Micras and ruled Natopia directly? Did his nursery school spend too much time singing songs instead of teaching about that pivotal period when the Pentheros was, in fact, titled: "Sovereign of Natopia?" And does he not know that the Pentheros that held that title--the first Pentheros--was Nathan Waffel-Paine, who was, in fact, a living god?

You think sovereign is bland? Ha! Emperor is bland! Sovereign is the title used by Nathan the Once-Living God! The Butter Man of the Holy Bovic Quadrate! What better title for our ruler than the one once used by the image of Bous that embodied physical presence, a knowing god, and mortal understanding? Nathan II is the great-grandson of the Once-Living God, and has requested this small favor from us. You spit in the face of Bous when you reject this small favor, a request that comes straight from the divine descendant of a deity in our Holy Quadrate!

(Rep. Primrose)
Emperor of the Natopians

Li Naomiai
"This is Mango Country"

Post by Li Naomiai »

Lord Speaker,

I will not dignify the scandalous, traitorous, lying, demeaning – indeed – libelous comments of Miss Primrose with any comment. On a point of order, Lord Speaker, I move that you remove her from this chamber for practice unbecoming of a member. She has brought this chamber into disrepute.
Li Naomiai Avon-El

Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

Sprocket's eyes turned red and began to flash

REPRESENTATIVES! Parliamentary dialogue has [DROPPED BELOW] appropriate levels of decorum according to parameters established by Chancellor [DE LA CRUZ]. All Representatives will be [SILENT] for the next [30 SECONDS].

Sprocket's hands retract into his arms and are replaced with gavels, which he bangs each alternatively for 30 seconds with the speed only a machine can achieve.

Decorum has been reset. Representatives will continue debate now.
Tinker Sprocket
Count of Norrström (Natopia)
Count of Machinaria, Viscount Sprocket of Machinaria (Shireroth)
Speaker of the Frenzy
Prætor of the Landsraad

Nathan and/or Ric

Nathan II

Post by Nathan II »

Lord Speaker,

I move to vote.

(Eiiard Darkroot, FJBP Flaventia)
Emperor of the Natopians

Ernesto de la Cruz

Post by Ernesto de la Cruz »

Lord Speaker,

This is unbecoming of this Chamber, unbecoming of the representatives of the Natopian Nation, in service of it.

I asked for His Bovic Majesty's explanation in the interest of openness and in the interest of granting Our Sovereign *some other UDM members of the Frenzy cheer and say "hear, hear"* ... Our Sovereign a chance to explain their thoughts on the matter. Believe me when I say this, that many of us in the Chamber find it satisfactory, and indeed, inspirational.

You won't find an opponent in me, you will see a supporter. I believe that our country can always improve, evolve, and grow. I support the Emperor's vision.

I second the motion for a vote.

Dos Gardenias

AYE (10)
Union Democratic Movement - 7
Free Juice and Bagels Party - 2
Liberty and Freedom Congress - 1
Ernesto de la Cruz
Chancellor of the Bovic Empire of the Natopian Nation
Member of the Frenzy
Most Serene Union of Demesnes, Natopia
Lord High Steward and First Secretary of the Most Serene Government (1663-1668)
Dos Gardenias, New Alexandria

(Member of the Central Committee of Edgards.)

Nathan II

Post by Nathan II »

Flaventia

AYE (8)
Free Juice and Bagels Party - 7
Union Democratic Movement - 1

Nay (2)
Workers Parties United - 1
Nationalist and Humanist Party - 1
Emperor of the Natopians

Primo de Aguilar

Post by Primo de Aguilar »

Arboria

Gunther Bauer (Independent) - NAY
Nathan Neemite (Nationalist and Humanist Party) - NAY
Cassandra Eddington (Independent) - NAY
Michael Maximillian Watson (Independent) - NAY
Carl Taylor-Citron (Independent) - NAY
Andi Mehl (Independent) - NAY

Kir

Post by Kir »

Mar Sara and The Two Martyrs

AYE (4)
Free Juice and Bagels Party: 3
Union Democratic Movement: 1

NAY (6)
Nationalist and Humanist Party: 3
Democratic Party of Kujirashi: 2
Association of Whalers and Fishermen of Walstadt and Light: 1

Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

Representatives,

The vote has ended. With 22 in favor and 14 against, the vote has failed to achieve 75% majority required for constitutional amendments. The Bill has failed.

*bangs gavel*
Tinker Sprocket
Count of Norrström (Natopia)
Count of Machinaria, Viscount Sprocket of Machinaria (Shireroth)
Speaker of the Frenzy
Prætor of the Landsraad

Nathan and/or Ric

Return to “Library of Law”