TQFTE/TE Story Progress Report

Chatting between citizens of Toketi and other nations on this forum.
Gerk

Re: TQFTE/TE Story Progress Report

Post by Gerk »

I suppose it speaks to my ameteurity at fiction writing that I barely even considered the necessity of explaining where that Kraken came from. I think I'm too used to making D&D plots, where things must necessarily happen behind the scenes that the characters really shouldn't know about. Perhaps I can slip a basic explanation into the next section. I'll try to do better in the future.
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
~Sherlock Holmes

The character of Gerk ronAnaglea is dead.
My avatar contains (from left to right) the characters of Analis and Rafel.
Click here for my roleplaying Element List.

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

Oh, it's totally fine to have stuff we don't know about; it's just that for us interacting with the story, we need to know a little more so we don't completely mess with your plans.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave. But he does deserve a cool war ribbon.
However, this account still manages:
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn - Speaker of Nelaga, Minister of Interior Affairs, and a Micron

Gerk

Post by Gerk »

Then let me say that my reason for the Kraken is fairly mundane, and if you want to use it as a more compelling plot point in one of your ideas, go for it.
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
~Sherlock Holmes

Andreas the Wise

Well, I could work it into my overall 'The Whisperer creating as much chaos as he possibly can to bring the nation to war with itself'.

Also, posted the ideas I was mentioning earlier - basically, now people know the prevalence of magic in the population (using the numbers we agreed here), and also that a number of people have X-men style magical powers, including some who don't have the Sight. Do with that what you will.

PS: I notice that Waldgrave went in to negotiate with the NLP in one of my earlier posts. Do we want to collaborate and do something with that?
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave. But he does deserve a cool war ribbon.
Q - Director of SAMIN

Gerk

Post by Gerk »

If you want, that might be a nice addition, especially since I don't have anything particularly fleshed out for the NLP leadership as a whole as of yet.

We should at the very least have a chat about the direction we're going to be taking this in. It's been hard enough for me to try to make the dots connect (The three different plot lines I'm working with are reminding me of the awful time I had with finishing my backstory expedition) and I don't know if the ending I'm aiming for is the same one you are, and it's gonna be a huge problem plot-wise if we're not on the same page. Also, it'll allow me to actually talk through what planning I do have with somebody and make sure i'm not leaving gaping holes anywhere.
~Sherlock Holmes

Kaarrin Isselkaan

Post by Kaarrin Isselkaan »

Andreas the Wise wrote:Also, posted the ideas I was mentioning earlier - basically, now people know the prevalence of magic in the population (using the numbers we agreed here), and also that a number of people have X-men style magical powers, including some who don't have the Sight. Do with that what you will.
Now this is exceedingly useful, considering Swnndyrrr are for all intents and purposes non-magical, not even having the Sight save for maybe 3-5 per 100 million. I think I can use this to great effect.

Andreas the Wise

Ooh, if the Swnndyrrr are almost entirely non-magical, that will make things interesting (particularly if they end up on the Tokish throne ...)

And Gerk, yes, we should chat about it, that sounds good.
Q - Director of SAMIN

Kaarrin Isselkaan

Andreas the Wise wrote:Ooh, if the Swnndyrrr are almost entirely non-magical, that will make things interesting (particularly if they end up on the Tokish throne ...)
I consider it one of the driving factors behind a Swnndyrrr taking the throne following an "End of Magic" scenario. While not explicitly anti-magic, it would probably be a comfort for the population that a non-magician take the throne for the first time...well...ever, I guess.

Andreas the Wise

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Good plan. :mrgreen:
Q - Director of SAMIN

Andreas the Wise

Had some random thoughts about this today, in terms of where we end up. I've always wanted to do a decline and fall story where the decline and fall does happen, but ends up outsmarting those trying to cause it so the hero who falls is no longer needed because the enemies can no longer do anything. In Gralan terms, this would probably look like closing all the magical doors - all the ways to pocket dimensions, the Gates of Hell on the icefloes to the North, the way the shadows and reflections got in etc. etc - combined with a decrease in background magic, meaning that even though Gralus and it's archmage class are no more, the world is not at risk from the sorts of magical attacks that Gralus defended from. Possibly this may mean needing to bring Andreas the Wise temporarily back as a character, he being the 'Keeper of the Keys' (I'm toying with the idea that he returns, helps clear things up, and takes any of the interested magical people to a new world where they're safe from the effects of the magical radiation sickness etc., and that that explains why Novatainia ceases to exist, as well as the absence of the magical races that used to live there. That depends on how much magic you want around in Toketi, Corey - if you still want to have a reasonable bit around then I'll come up with a slightly different end, but if you want little to no magic, this fits in perfectly).
Q - Director of SAMIN

Kaarrin Isselkaan

The way I've envisioned it, there would still be a small amount of magic remaining, but not enough that being a mage is viable as a profession, nor is having the ability to cast spells a serious threat (like, even the best mages would be overpowered by at most 3 non-magical people). I think it will end up being merely a utility after this is through, though the commercial use of magic will probably be banned and other, large-scale use will be somewhat taboo (in order to justify reasons why the monarch is henceforth non-magical).

This will probably help in my attempts to establish a stronger swnndyrrr presence in Toketi.

Andreas the Wise

That sounds like what I was thinking, yeah.
Q - Director of SAMIN

Din Arran

Post by Din Arran »

I know I came back in the middle of Gralus' Spring Revolution, so to speak, and definitely don't want to mess up (completely) whatever plans you guys have to limit/end magical use. That being said Arnóle is not going to be a friend in that case...in fact he may very well end up becoming a villain of some sorts, which I am kind of ok with.

But Andreas, you and I and Bayen if we can rope him down, might want to hammer out exactly what magic is within this reality. If it simply comes from within someone, the radiation will probably kill off most magical users, and possibly forever eradicate magic. If however, magic is an energy that just hangs around, the possibility for magic and magical use will continue, but the primary conductors of that energy, ie mages, would be severely limited. Or maybe there's a third or fourth option that we haven't come up with yet. In any case, what magic is should, in my opinion, influence the ability and use of magic once the current conflict resolves.
Arnölé, The Lord of Magic. Former Lord of Storyäsh, Leader of the Paraphysical Forces. The White Dragon.

Ryker
The Third Ryke

Post by Ryker »

In case you're asking for different sources of magic (which is what this sounds like) the two sources I know of are organisms like mido-clorins and my own creation which is earning the trust of the Suthran pantheon so that at least one grants you his/her power.
Ryker00X
Ryker of the Sovereign Confederation
Head of House Redquill

Din Arran

Post by Din Arran »

I've always been in favor of the Energy type theory, where there are groups of magical 'nodes' scattered around where the energy is stronger, but magic continues to be present everywhere.
Arnölé, The Lord of Magic. Former Lord of Storyäsh, Leader of the Paraphysical Forces. The White Dragon.

Andreas the Wise

I see magic, particularly as explained by the Six Laws, as a lot like magic in Eragon - primarily energy is derived from the strength of the mage themself, but they can also draw it from other sources, like other living beings. What the conservation of energy law does is helps us think through other energy sources - like electricity, or, in the case of epic big spells, that what we've actually been doing (unawares) is splitting the atom (and so leaving background radiation). Oh, and just because something is energy, doesn't mean any mage can use it - you have to be trained to use different energy sources (and even realise that it's possible).

Having said all that, back in the day with MCM we developed this idea of 'the land' being some sort of quasi-semi-sentient force, and 'the land' gave power to the Lords of Magic and the High Druids (this was our explanation for the +50 bonus levels in MCM, though I feel like we developed it further but I can't remember too much more). That could possibly be interpreted as using geothermal energy (from a science perspective - obviously in story terms there's more going on).
Q - Director of SAMIN

Gerk

Post by Gerk »

^ This is basically the premise I've been operating under for this story. And I even have a way to tie 'the land' into it, but more on that in the secret forum. If I have time tonight, I'll do up a post about my plans and where I was intending on taking the story in the secret area so we can start ironing things out.
~Sherlock Holmes

Andreas the Wise

Cool, I thought you were basically working on that premise, and if you can tie in the 'the land' stuff, that'd be particularly awesome!
Q - Director of SAMIN

Return to “Chat”