Buddhislam

Moderator: Aryeztur

Aryeztur

Buddhislam

Post by Aryeztur »

The name of this doctrine is Buddhislam. Despite the fact that the word is obviously constructed from the words “Buddh(ism)” and “Islam,” this doctrine is not a combination of the religions of Buddhism and Islam, but is rather a doctrine that incorporates numerous elements from many traditions. The terms were chosen to be symbolic and representative of two streams of spiritual thought and for their etymological value. Buddhism here represents “eastern” religion while Islam, “western” religion, the former a path to inner peace through inner meditation, the latter, a path to inner peace through external prayer. Buddha is a Sanskrit word meaning awakened one and is derived from Bodhi which means awakening and so represents the esoteric part of spirituality. Islam literally means submission in Arabic and so the word here is used to represent the exoteric part of spirituality.
The Great King, King of Kings, King of the World

Aryeztur

Re: Buddhislam

Post by Aryeztur »

I've decided to rename this Hinduslam. It will be made the official religion. More to come soon.

ari
Grim Auxiliator

Post by ari »

On the one hand I really don't want to be snarky. On the other hand I just wanted to point out two things:

- Hinduslam sounds like the name of a really terrible Indian wrestler's signature move.
- Shireroth might have suffered from "Goldshire" and "Elwynn", but not from "Landsraad". So you can just call it Zensunni, OK? :p
Lord Furniture
Not even partially responsible for Malarboria; will take the blame for Caverden, though!
Tallest and therefore Greatest of the Janitors
Eternal Watcher of #micronations

Harvey
Ghost of Christmas Past

Post by Harvey »

ari wrote:Shireroth might have suffered from "Goldshire" and "Elwynn", but not from "Landsraad"
Says you.

ari
Grim Auxiliator

Post by ari »

And in Erik's defense, he didn't know at the time the RTS he picked up names from would turn out to one day have an enormously popular successor anyway, so even the suffering from that couldn't have been predicted anyway. I guess it's now down to whether Neuromancer Online or World Of Chrono Trigger will become the MMORPG played by ten million people, to see which one of us will have a nonexistent egg on their face :p.
Lord Furniture
Not even partially responsible for Malarboria; will take the blame for Caverden, though!

Harvey
Ghost of Christmas Past

Post by Harvey »

Nah, that's not it. I was never ashamed of my Trigger roots. It was my idea for a theme and I think it worked reasonably okay. The existance of a Trigger MMO that made Nelaga’s references more obvious wouldn’t be embarrasing – it would be awesome!

Shireroth though seems to regret all of its original Dune / Warcraft / LotR name stealing, or at least Scott does, and has been rather unconvincingly attempting to retcon it all out for the past few years. I never understood the point of that. It seemed like World of Warcraft did a lot of their advertising for them. Even if Shireroth is nothing whatsoever like WoW, having a few familiar names could have helped with recruitment, but they're been slitting their throats on that as fast as they can. Odd.

ari
Grim Auxiliator

Post by ari »

Yeah, I'm not really sure myself whether the appropriation has actually caused any real problems, hence the "nonexistent". Maybe I just felt like complaining about it as an Antican citizen. There's a few renaming efforts that I agree with just on aesthetic grounds, such as going from the obviously dwarven and rough Khaz Modan to the better-flowing and more civilized/arcane Casmodan. I even like the name Froyalan despite the, ehm, connotations. But I expect you at least agree that it would at least be sort of terrible to deliberately use and keep using names from a popular franchise in order to attract people to a community that doesn't have anything to do with said franchise beyond a couple of names.

(also, as the Supreme Forum Overlord, I hereby unilaterally describe this discussion to be not that off topic before that issue gets properly raised. But I do recommend starting a new thread, Aryeztur, to actually describe the tenets of Buddhislam once you get around to it, this one's all ragged and smelly by now.)
Lord Furniture

Aryeztur

Post by Aryeztur »

Yeah, I have to think of a better name.

Octavius

Post by Octavius »

How about... Sikhism.
Аїомидє Оћтавион
Hesam wrote:Trains are very efficient at making long lines of people dead, and I suppose they could also be used for transportation or something.

Aryeztur

Post by Aryeztur »

No

Scott Alexander

Post by Scott Alexander »

How about... Sikhism.
Heh heh, he has a point. A time-traveling Aryez is really the only explanation for that religion.

Thadeus Laing
Sea Elf, Sea Elf Run

Post by Thadeus Laing »

One of the great things about Antica is its lack of name borrowing, much of it due to Aryeztur's influence. But unfortunately it appears that Buddhislam is from Dune, as I just discovered on Wikipedia. For that reason, Hinduslam sounds better. But then you're switching out Buddhism for Hinduism, I assume, which will have to be backed up with some theological writings explaining the joining of both those religions.

Aryeztur

Post by Aryeztur »

I've got a new name and I'm writing a paper on the new faith. Findings will be announced in a couple of weeks. It will be a strong faith.

Return to “Sattva”